Hurricane Sandy Thread

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'll tell you what inspired me. I work in a home for 400 elderly people, 50 of them in assisted living. Thursday we lost our generator, so they had to be evacuated to a high school a mile away. They slept on cots for two nights, some of them literally just had the clothes on their backs. We were still able to feed them with two makeshift kitchens we set up. And not one of them complained. Saturday we got our power back and they were
able to come home. They made a huge card for us and signed it, and all they could do was thank us for getting them through a tough ordeal.

Be sure to count your blessings, folks. Hopefully you'll never have to live through a
disaster like this, and if you have, now I can say I walked a mile in your shoes.
That's great that you were able to help people out. That's the one good thing about disasters like this; we have the opportunity to reach out in ways we usually can't.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------
Dang Brian. Glad you're okay. Bravo to you for working through all that despite your own needs.

This crap makes me wish I had money, like Trump-level money. I'd be able to actually DO something instead of watching and worrying.
--------------

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Today's Friday, still about 250,000 people in the dark, but today many coastal residents are finally being allowed to go back to their homes and see what's left.
So things are slowly returning to normal.
Some of you around the country probably got a bigger picture of what happened than we did. Over a week with no tv, no internet, had to drive to Pennsylvania just to see a newspaper, my only link with the outside world was my car radio.
The media must have been having a field day. New Jersey wasn't hit by a "hurricane". We got bombarded by a "SUPERSTORM"! As if Sandy showed up with a red cape and tights! Well done, guys. In my 44 years, I think this is the biggest crock of puckey you've handed me yet. :smile:

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------
BriWi was on Letterman the other night with a reminisce about the areas hardest hit. Fuzzybrian, glad you're okay. I honestly wasn't expecting it to be such a stupendous storm...I know usually when hurricanes reach you guys, they're played out and mostly rain a lot, yeah?

Scary stuff. Wishing you a fast recovery, physical, mental, emotional. :sympathy:

------------

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
People in my county are getting ready to take truck loads and I mean truck loads of things donated by people up to the hardest hit areas. I love seeing communities come together like this because despite the bad that happened with the storm it's just nice seeing people helping people. Because as you know "peoples is peoples" and that's a lot of peoples. Hope that was enough peoples for you. :stick_out_tongue:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Thank you one and all. This must be the biggest disaster to hit New Jersey since the Hindenburg. A disaster can bring out the worst in people, but also the best. And in 12 days, I've seen more best than worst.

Let's keep that spirit going, in case we ever have to go through this again sometime, somewhere.

meepmuppaphones

Reaction score
I don't live on the Massachusetts coast, so the storm wasn't too bad (although school was closed) . All I did was sit in front of the computer while eating cookies.