War Coverage: Gratuitous or Necessary?

sidcrowe

Reaction score
FellowWLover: If you've been here for any length of time, you know that the threads are just starters for conversation.

I've kicked myself off of the "War News" thread, so that others may talk about Elmo dolls (off off original topic), and taken myself off of the Oscar thread, even though Michael Moore's comments were ON the Oscars itself.

I was answering Luke and Muppetsrule. The coverage includes the news that Syria and Iran are starting to mess about, which is VERY bad news for the whole world. Bush and Blair said it'd be easy, quick, simple. It's not.

Try this flash:
http://www.idleworm.com/nws/2002/11/iraq2.shtml

Insults: 0
Slander: 0
Rebuttals: 1
Opinions: 1

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by sidcrowe
FellowWLover: If you've been here for any length of time, you know that the threads are just starters for conversation.

I have been here for a long enough length of time to know that you are swiftly losing any credibility you held with many posters by your non-stop insistence on droning on about your feelings toward the war and American politics in general. I am sure there are many forums designed just for that sort of discussion, and lately, I am wishing that you would find one.

sidcrowe

Reaction score
FellowWLover: This is an insult: Saddam is a *******! Bush is a *******!

I have not insulted you.

Slander is an untruth.

"If America can't control its booze and drugs, and its rampant murder rate, should we all band together and invade, in order to make things better?"

You have a super-high rate of killing each other. It is the truth. It's not slander. Go to Michael Moore's website. You know that America's murder rate is high.

I challenge you to surf through your tv or radio channels or pick through your magazines, or drive through your streets, and not find ads for "Budweiser" in everything. Everywhere in America is the message: DRINK! GET DRUNK!

Bush had past troubles with booze. His daughters are found drunk. Can't you find a leader that isn't in a bottle or getting favours (Clinton) from an intern?

America is far from perfect, so who is it to upset the Earth?

What if Korea waits for you to place more troops in the Middle East, and then makes a move on South Korea while you're occupied over there?

It is madness, FellowWlover. The Earth is in danger, and before Bush led this invasion, Saddam was weak, castrated, and covered in U.N. agents.

I don't take your suggestion to find another forum as an insult. I can take it.

Can you take my suggestion that maybe you'd rather turn your interests to the threads about upcoming toys?

Insults: 0
Slander: 0
Rebuttals: 2
Opinions: 2
(you suggested I leave the forum FIRST, I suggested you talk about toys if you don't like the topic of "war." I did not call you a name. I did not call you a baby)

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Bush and Blair said it'd be easy, quick, simple. It's not.
In a round about way this kind of gets us back to the topic at hand.

I'm not so sure President Bush ever said the war will be over in a week. I believe the countless talking heads on television have led us to believe that. I find it interesting that if you listen to all the hosts of the war coverage shows they all have the opinion that the war is not going as planned, that there have been many setbacks, but, if you listen to the military experts on these shows (ex-generals, military analysts, etc.) they all say the war is going remarkably well and as planned.

The constant news coverage (along with the success of the Gulf War) has led us to believe that war is a quick proposition. It is only a little over a week old and still promises to be a relatively short campaign. Compare that with Vietnam War, Korean War, etc.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, we live in a world of "infotainment" and the war is this year's Super Bowl of news.

I think this unfortunate practice began years ago when cheesy tabloid shows like Hard Copy and A Current Affair packaged news as entertainment. Later, the network news began these tactics to compete with cable news services like CNN. The height of this was during the OJ trial and has continued through to today.

This is just a theory, but a very strong one. I feel the news is being packaged as Coca-Cola and Cheese-Wiz. It's no longer only the substance, but the shiny container.:attitude:

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
It is only a little over a week old and still promises to be a relatively short campaign. Compare that with Vietnam War, Korean War, etc.
They thought those were going to be "short campaigns" too.

-Kim

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
True. And there are many things that can and do go wrong when the serious decision to go to war is made. But it has only been a week. Let's see how things play out before we make any judgements on history.

The point is, the news coverage has put a time table on the war and led us to believe that if the war isn't over in a week or two it is a failure. None of us can make that judgement without the dimension of time. But the news coverage is in a business of creating instant gratification and ratings.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by MuppetsRule

The point is, the news coverage has put a time table on the war and led us to believe that if the war isn't over in a week or two it is a failure. None of us can make that judgement without the dimension of time. But the news coverage is in a business of creating instant gratification and ratings.
I really don't know where you are coming up with that. From his very first speeches, Bush has told us that it will be a lengthy endeavor. The military analysts all say that it may be months and months before the "fighting" portion of the war is over. Perhaps the viewing public has hoped or assumed that the conflict will be as short as the Gulf War, but truth be told, that event also was much longer from start to finish than the media held interest in it.

It seems unreasonable to me that anyone would be complaining that this war is taking too long. Regardless of what some news anchor might *lead you to believe* (emphasize because if you listen carefully, I don't think many have outright said that the war will be short and sweet), common sense should tell us that war is not a quick undertaking. Our people will be over there for years, even if the fighting is over in weeks or months. That is why they need our support and understanding even if our personal convictions are "against" the effort.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by sidcrowe
I did not call you a name. I did not call you a baby)
Who claimed that you called me a baby? There is nothing childish about my stating that I wish you would take your vehement political opinions against my country and the war to a political forum. At least I had the tenacity to outright say it, rather than hide it at the bottom of another rabid post.

I find it amusing that you feel you have such an intimate knowledge of American culture. I assure you that I can drive through my entire town without being bombarded with ads insisting that I get drunk. On that note, your definition of the word "rampant" might need a little work.

Your characterization of our President and his daughters reminded me of a conversation I had with Joggy when he was here visiting the United States. As we were driving around the shore, I was complaining about not being able to find an ATM machine fast enough for my liking. Of course there *were* several to choose from, but none met my criteria. I wanted a drive-through, and it had to be easy to approach. I wanted one that offered a low denomination withdrawal... you get the idea. Joggy was a little perplexed by my behavior, and we got to talking about how I was acting like a typical American. You know, lazy, spoiled, self-absorbed, wants things fast and my way. We discussed how that American stereotype has become common throughout the world and why.

Me: Well, it is so common because it is true to an extent... I mean, it is more true than not unfortunately.

Joggy: Yes, but Americans are so full of pride. Everywhere we go here I see nothing but American flags. That is so different from my country.

Me: Oh of course. We love ourselves. Good thing too, cause sometimes we are hated by others. *laughs*

Joggy: Why do you think that is?

Me: Well, being European, you would have a better perspective on the reasons. I think some might be jealously, some might be deserved. We are a bit smug. We know that people want to come here. And many are not raised to respect other cultures as we do our own. I know all of that is true.

Joggy: But you still love yourselves?

Me: Mmmhmm. Americans may fight internally, we bicker, we protest one another, and put each other down at times, but in the end, being a patriotic American means we can love the worst part of ourselves. Sure we might be lazy, selfish, spoiled, but we are Americans. We love ourselves anyway, just like a mother loves her wayward, ugly child. Individually we may be a mess, but together we have an awesome spirit. That is why you can count seventy-five flags between here and my church.

(edited to fix a typo)