War Coverage: Gratuitous or Necessary?

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by MuppetsRule
I find it interesting that if you listen to all the hosts of the war coverage shows they all have the opinion that the war is not going as planned, that there have been many setbacks, but, if you listen to the military experts on these shows (ex-generals, military analysts, etc.) they all say the war is going remarkably well and as planned.
I found that interesting too, especially on hearing Donald Rumsfield the other night - they were telling him that the 'armchair generals' were saying the war was not going according to plan. He simply replied that these people haven't even SEEN the war plan. Very true.

Interesting that Sid makes a point of talking about what America is like, i have family in Canada and i'm pretty sure adverts for Budweiser are pretty rife there too. I'd bargain there's a few murderers and drunks, like every country. Things don't seem that out of control in the states, i actually think the murder rate is now higher in London than New York. Obviously America is larger though so more things will happen and the media is larger so the more it will get publicised.

As for Syria, Korea, Iraq, Russia, Iran all getting involved - i don't think they're that stupid. Sure they're a lot of talk but it'd suprise me if they think Iraq is 'worth it' to get their butt kicked. If America really needed to i'm sure it could finish Iraq off quickly but they are taking extra care because of the civilians, if they were forced to take the gloves off so as to deal elsewhere too they probably would. That said, stuff does happen and it wouldn't suprise me to see WWIII sometime in my lifetime, c'est la vie !

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
FellowWLover:

I really don't know where you are coming up with that. From his very first speeches, Bush has told us that it will be a lengthy endeavor. The military analysts all say that it may be months and months before the "fighting" portion of the war is over. Perhaps the viewing public has hoped or assumed that the conflict will be as short as the Gulf War, but truth be told, that event also was much longer from start to finish than the media held interest in it.

Perhaps you misunderstood me. I think we're on the same page. I whole heartedly agree with you that it is absurd (and frustrating) for anyone to think that the situation in Iraq might be over in weeks. I fully understand that it is an undertaking that will take many years (as will Afghanistan). And I support our action in Iraq. And I do believe that the administration was upfront right from the very beginning that it would be a lengthy endeavour. I don't know if most of the public understands that, however.

I also believe though that for whatever reason (whether it be the shortness of the Gulf War, our quick action in Afghanistan in ridding the Taliban and then our short attention span to what is happening there now, or the media) that many of the public thought we'd go into Iraq, fire a few shots, and go home. I believe that the heavy news coverage and military analysis on many of the cable news shows and the tone of the questions during the press conferences contributed heavily to that. (I think it was much worse before the war began than what it is now though). I think there is more emphasis now that this will not be done overnight.

Luke

That said, stuff does happen and it wouldn't suprise me to see WWIII sometime in my lifetime, c'est la vie !

I am also of the belief that sometime in my lifetime (and probably sooner than later) I will see the use of a nuclear weapon and perhaps WWIII. I just don't believe you can run around like Chicken Little screaming, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling." We cannot let that dictate how we conduct international affairs and simply ignore problems in the world and brutal regimes.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by MuppetsRule

Perhaps you misunderstood me. I think we're on the same page. I whole heartedly agree with you that it is absurd (and frustrating) for anyone to think that the situation in Iraq might be over in weeks. I fully understand that it is an undertaking that will take many years (as will Afghanistan). And I support our action in Iraq. And I do believe that the administration was upfront right from the very beginning that it would be a lengthy endeavour. I don't know if most of the public understands that, however.

After I read it over, I realized what you were trying to say. I guess my point is that I don't know where "people" are coming up with the idea that the war would be over in a matter of days or weeks. It has seemed to me that the government has been very up front in saying that this will be a long mission which will cost us billions and billions of dollars.

So, yeah, what you said....

:smile:

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by FellowWLover
Mmmhmm. Americans may fight internally, we bicker, we protest one another, and put each other down at times, but in the end, being a patriotic American means we can love the worst part of ourselves. Sure we might be lazy, selfish, spoiled, but we are Americans. We love ourselves anyway, just like a mother loves her wayward, ugly child. Individually we may be a mess, but together we have an awesome spirit. That is why you can count seventy-five flags between here and my church.
I agree with all your above posts Jes. I'm thinking more and more that South Park the movie may have had it right all along. :wink:

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
I agree with all your above posts Jes. I'm thinking more and more that South Park the movie may have had it right all along. :wink:
'Fraid I missed that one...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Good points about Americans, Jessica. Couldn't say it better myself. It's kind of how I see the Muppets too, in a way. A melting pot of cultures that clash, but all get along in the end. Some with the aid of “green root beer”, some not. LOL!:smile:

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Last night I was watching The News Hour with Jim Lehrer on PBS. He closed his show with pictures and a small bio of the brave soldiers who have been killed so far in Iraq. No music, no speaking, just silence as their pictures were shown on the screen one by one. A very classy and moving tribute!

I hope he continues to end each of his shows this way. What a great reminder for us to remember those that have served in the military.