1-2-3-4-5..6-7-8-9-10..11-12!

mikealan

Reaction score
Hi! I am making the name of the subject "1-2-3-4-5..6-7-8-9-10..11-12!"-Do you know what that is? It is the SS fan's all-favorite number cartoon-the numberal pinball machine (In case the title was PINBALL NUMBER COUNT). ssetta has told me that #8 is never shown on Noggin, but it was played last season on PBS. I missed that one! But, I, of course, have #6 on video and I get to listen to #4 any Friday after school (in case I don't have homework for the weekend). The only number versions I remember seeing are #4, #6, #7, #9, #11 and #12. For #3, I only heard it on audio, but it's now gone. I also discovered the transcript of #7 on the Sesame Street Lyric Archive. I'm sure if any versions of the number pinball series are shown on few early SS episodes at the Museum of Television & Radio. These are the only memories of the number pinball.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's been announced that Old School Volume 2 will focus on seasons 6 through 10. If it includes the premiers for those seasons (like how the first set had the first five season premiers), then the 2 segment should be on the next set. It was in two of the second five season premiers. I forget which ones, though.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Hi! I am making the name of the subject "1-2-3-4-5..6-7-8-9-10..11-12!"-Do you know what that is? It is the SS fan's all-favorite number cartoon-the numberal pinball machine (In case the title was PINBALL NUMBER COUNT). ssetta has told me that #8 is never shown on Noggin, but it was played last season on PBS. I missed that one! But, I, of course, have #6 on video and I get to listen to #4 any Friday after school (in case I don't have homework for the weekend). The only number versions I remember seeing are #4, #6, #7, #9, #11 and #12. For #3, I only heard it on audio, but it's now gone. I also discovered the transcript of #7 on the Sesame Street Lyric Archive. I'm sure if any versions of the number pinball series are shown on few early SS episodes at the Museum of Television & Radio. These are the only memories of the number pinball.
I've got a QuickTime movie of Pinball Count #3 if you'd like to download it.

superboober

Reaction score
I always wished that pinball machine was real so I could have it, although given all the levels it had it might well be twenty feet tall in real life. It's easy to see why many fans rate it so highly; it's the perfect blend of animation and music that teaches well too.

My favorite was #11 with the jungle animals. They had good effects happen with the game there (my favorite being a tie between the leopard blinking and the zebra bursting out of its stripes). It seemed, I thought, that they ran the higher numbers more often than the lower ones, although #5 is close behind #12 for the most used as I remember. At least they still use it every now and then.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I used to really like this segment, and I just recently liked it again, due in part to that Family Guy episode. They really copied the animation perfectly on that one (they also did a really good job remaking the Jetsons opening too, off subject).

I have a parody scripted out in my mind for when the heck ever I get a cartoon series (I'm thinking of using it as a cold opening, like Animaniacs would have done it)

tutter_fan

Reaction score
I always loved those number pinball animations!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Really?

Thats bizarre......Was that a mistake?
I've read here that the number 1 didn't start sponsoring the show until 1986, though Muppet Wiki has pages for three first season episodes that are supposedly sponsored by 1, but that info comes from archive material that fans can see at the CTW Archives, stored at the University of Maryland. So either 1 didn't sponsor until two decades later, or it sponsored a few times in the first season and then stopped until 1986, or it's sponsorship was few and far between until 1986. For those wondering, the first season episodes sponsored by 1 were episodes 86, 116, and 120.

However, there were still segments about the number 1 during the early years. I've been told that these skits were usually shown in episodes sponsored by 2 (the first two episodes that 1 apparantly sponsored are also sponsored by 2 and 3). And many recurring number segments did not have individual segments about the number 1. It could have been because of thenumber's lack of sponsorship. I don't know if the producers or writers thought it would be too hard to teach 1 or what. It would probably be hard (or pointless) to teach kids to count to 1. But there still could have been a Pinball Number Count #1. After all, all of those segments taught kids to count to 12, regardless of the featured number, and segments for numbers lower than 12 didn't have the singers count up to the featured number. Instead, whatever the number was, it would be shown and repeated throughout the skits, in addition to the singers counting to 12.