12 Days Till Christmas

Phantom

Reaction score
Tree goes up day after Thanksgiving...comes down New Year's Day (in my house anyway). It drives me crazy when people start putting Christmas decorations up on the third day of November. Nothing says "Happy Birthday, Jesus" like 30,000 blinking lights and large inflatable "Nutcrackers".

anathema said:
The "12 Days of Christmas" are actually the 12 days *after* Christmas Day - December 26 to January 6. Traditionally, January 6 is the day the Magi reached the stable in Bethlehem.
That is sooooo coooool. I never knew that.

Boxing day is the day after Christmas. What is the significance of that? We don't have that here.

Phantom

Reaction score
Cool. Good King Wenceslas looked out on the Feast of Stephen. Man, I'm learning alot today.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Whatever said:
I have 2 exams and two paper revisions due :smirk: tomorrow!!! One exam and one term paper on Tuesday! Why don't the professors have any Christmas spirit??

I have all that stuff NOW!!!!!!!!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Actually, wouldn't the total list actually be 12 partidges in pear trees, 22 turtledoves, 30 French hens... You get the idea. Because the way it's sung, it sounds like they get that stuff AGAIN the next day in addition to the new stuff. :stick_out_tongue:
Erin

anathema

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Yikes! That is one hefty chunk of change! Of course, it's also an incredibly impractical list of gifts...
Erin
Indeed :smile: The list is also slightly incorrect: it's not "calling birds", it's "colly birds". Most people don't know what "colly" means, hence the common corruption of the word to "calling". Colly is an old English word meaning black - literally "as black as coal". Colly birds are blackbirds...

The "five gold rings" are also misunderstood. Again, the true love is sending birds - ring-necked birds in this case, such as pheasants.

Actually, wouldn't the total list actually be 12 partidges in pear trees, 22 turtledoves, 30 French hens... You get the idea. Because the way it's sung, it sounds like they get that stuff AGAIN the next day in addition to the new stuff.
Correct. That's what the "True cost of Christmas in song" figures represent. The "Total Christmas Price Index" figures just count the first item of each verse.

Are you ever on YahooIM these days? I'm not seeing you about much... ;-)

Phantom

Reaction score
:sing: "Two baby frogs" :confused: "Baby frogs? What kind of jive present is that?"