Daylight

Reaction score
How many people here were born in 1981 or around 1981?

I happened to be born in 1981 and I just happened to notice in a previous thread that a lot of people here claimed to be 22 and then I happened to notice just now that three of today's birthdays involve people turning 23. What is it about being born in 1981 that causes a person to be a Muppet fan?

Gonzo

Reaction score
I was just noticing the same thing, except it was about people who were born in 1973. :wink:

1981 was a huge year for Muppets and Miss Piggy in particular...but you were all too young to notice. Did y'all get hooked on Muppet Babies as pups or what?

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I'm a 1981-er! I did watch Muppet Babies, but my big thing was Sesame Street. :smile:
Erin

Firecat87

Reaction score
Gonzo said:
Did y'all get hooked on Muppet Babies as pups or what?
I was born in '80. While I liked Muppet Babies and watched them regularly, I really got hooked with Sesame Street, and later with Storyteller, Fraggle Rock and Muppets Tonight. And they must have showed reruns or we had tapes of The Muppet Show, because I can vaguely remember watching that as well.
I do fear that The Muppets are losing touch with kids of today. A daughter (around 5 years old) of my dad's friend recieved a Gonzo Pez dispenser for Christmas, and didn't know who Gonzo was! When/if I have children, they will definately be brought up on the many brilliant works of Jim Henson and Company!
:big_grin:

Whatever

Reaction score
I was 1984! I saw Muppet Babies and Sesame Street first, and I wanted to see more and more. I even loved a documentary about Jim Henson that my parents taped for me. I saw a clip from the Muppet Show on it, and I really wanted to see that, but no one ever know what I was talking about... until now. :smile:

Klonoa

Reaction score
I was born in 1976, so one of the first movies I ever remember seeing in a theater was The Muppet Movie. The Muppets were such a staple of childhood entertainment when I was little. First I remember there was The Muppet Show, then Sesame Street, then Fraggle Rock and Muppet Babies, and all sorts of other stuff. It killed me one time when one of my little brothers said, "What's a Muppet?" so I had to educate them with a few movies.

--Klonoa

ceecee

Reaction score
Hooray for 1981!!! Because I, too, was born that year.

Sesame Street has always a part of my life. My mom started doing daycare from our house when I was 2 weeks old, and the kids watched it every single day. I have so many good memories related to Sesame Street.

I watched The Muppet Show some in syndication when I was little, but missed out on its hey-day. Muppet Babies was a Saturday morning staple for me.

Beebers

Reaction score
There's definitely something to this. My son came along in '83; Sesame was in its absolute heyday during those years, with the Fraggles not far behind, both leading to all things Muppet for your generation. (Yay!)

:smile: :cool: :cool: :smile:

Daylight

Reaction score
I can't remember what got me into Muppets. I know I must have watched Muppet Babies, Fraggle Rock and Sesame Street when I was very young. (I have the toys and books to proove it). I probably watched the Muppet Show too, but can't really remember watching it until I was about 11 when YTV was reruning it. I saw the movies when they came out on TV. Maybe there was just so much Jim Henson stuff on television when we were kids.

mupvisiongirl

Reaction score
Another 81 kid here! When I was a kid I remember seeing muppet stuff everywhere- it was awesome back in those days. I got hooked on sesame st first, then fraggle rock, then muppet babies. :big_grin: