2009 Animated Films

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
We all know awards don't always reflect quality, but this year's crop of Animated films is rather wide and it will make the Animated Feature Oscar section very exciting next year. I've seen most of these films, but what's the order you're rooting for? I'm digging the stop-motion and traditional animation this year. I love Pixar, but Up just didn't capture my attention the way these others did. Here's the order I prefer. Yes, I enjoyed the campy Monsters vs. Aliens more than Up. :embarrassed: Anyway, here goes. Feel free to mention any I might have forgotten.

1. Coraline
2. Fantastic Mr. Fox
3. The Princess and the Frog
4. Monsters vs. Aliens
5. 9
6. Ponyo
7. Up
8. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
9. Astro Boy
10. Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
11. Planet 51

Drtooth

Reaction score
I do not wish to see Planet 51... or as I like to call it, "We saw an episode of Buzz Lightyear of Star Command and are waiting to see if Disney's lawyers are paying any attention." Seems to me it is nothing but all the lame conventions of a CGI kiddy flick all combined into one forgettable mish mash of Shark Tale quality.

Seriously, the storyline WAS done on Buzz Lightyear of Star command, and in a much more cut and dry and funnier way too... as far as I can tell.

That said, thanks to stupid placement, I can't find Fantastic Mr. Fox anywhere, and I never could find 9 either... both I REALLY wanted to see.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I do not wish to see Planet 51... or as I like to call it, "We saw an episode of Buzz Lightyear of Star Command and are waiting to see if Disney's lawyers are paying any attention." Seems to me it is nothing but all the lame conventions of a CGI kiddy flick all combined into one forgettable mish mash of Shark Tale quality.

Seriously, the storyline WAS done on Buzz Lightyear of Star command, and in a much more cut and dry and funnier way too... as far as I can tell.

That said, thanks to stupid placement, I can't find Fantastic Mr. Fox anywhere, and I never could find 9 either... both I REALLY wanted to see.
You know, I can get you a free poster of Planet 51. Kidding of course, but I can usually tell the performance of a film from the free swag they use to promote it at little toy shops like the one I manage part-time. It's usually a bad sign when a rep supplies us with promotional articles right before release. That was the case for 51 and Astroboy, however Zombieland proved to break that pattern and become a hit. I still have my little bottle of Purell with the film's logo. We should have had them for sale in the shop, but they weren't marketed as such.

Mr. Fox is opening wider, but slowly. See it if you get a chance. It's one of the most charming films I've seen this decade. 9 was really hard to find.

I still prefer Coraline. Not only does it demonstrate just how much of Nightmare Before Christmas was due to the talent of director Henry Selick (even though Tim Burton's name appeared before the title), it also was a unique film that was bright, vibrant and well executed. Every frame of the film is a masterpiece.

Blue Weirdo

Reaction score
1. Coraline -excellent
2. Fantastic Mr. Fox- haven't seen yet
3. Princess and the frog -haven't seen
4.Monsters Vs Aliens- loved it
5. 9 -disappointing, not bad per se but did not meet expectations
6. Ponyo -It's a Myazaki film! 'nuff said (may not be eligible for Oscar because it came out in Japan a couple years ago)
7.Up -It's Pixar so of course it's good. Wall*E's still my favorite though
8. Cloudy with a chance of meatballs -didn't see
9. Astro Boy -very enjoyable (but how does this affect a possible Mega Man film?)
10. Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs - needless sequel with too much low brow humor for a kids film (e.g. "I thought you were a female")
11. Planet 51 -haven't seen but I did see the Buzz episode

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Out of all of the 2009 animated movies, I probably liked Up the best. Though Monsters vs Aliens was really awesome as well and I love Caroline. I also enjoyed Coudly with a Chance of Meatballs a lot more than I thought I would too. Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs was okay, I think the character Buck was totally the breakout star and maybe saved the movie in some respect.

I haven't seen Ponyo yet or Princess and the Frog, but I will. I think I might even get Ponyo for Christmas, as Blue Weirdo said "it's a Myazaki film nuff said" :smile::excited:. I also haven't seen 9 yet, but I want to, even though I've heard from many it's disappointing.

As for Planet 51, well don't think that's one I want to see right away. Probably wait til it hits some broadcast channel but mid 2010.

2009 seemed to be a pretty good year for animated movies. I'm also thinking "Despicable Me" looks entertaining. I have the song stuck in my head since I saw the trailor.

Well I'm having a real bad day and if you take it personal that's ok. :sing:

Oh and not to mention I saw Fantasic Mr. Fox not too long ago and I totally loved it.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Golden Globe noms just in:

Coraline (just plain WOW on all fronts)
Fantastic Mr. Fox (almost as good as Coraline)
The Princess and the Frog (great traditional animation is back at Disney)
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (enjoyable film, but not award-worthy)
Up (Pixar excellence, but not the best in animation this year. They didn't "up" their game the way they usually do. I was a little disappointed.)

I'm most surprised by the snub of 9. I thought it was certain for a nomination.

Drtooth

Reaction score
9. Astro Boy -very enjoyable (but how does this affect a possible Mega Man film?)
Dude... Mega Man stole the concept and just tweaked it. Astro Boy was made all the way back in the 1960's. Heck, dude's as popular as Mickey Mouse over there. Even if there were to be an actual Mega Man film, I'm sure they'd warp it around so it has nothing to do with the game, like they all do.

Planet 51 -haven't seen but I did see the Buzz episode
Someone else that can back me up. Really, sure it's a good concept, even if the show didn't exist, but it seems to turn into every single kid's movie made in CGI by a Dreamworks wannabe ever.

Coraline (just plain WOW on all fronts)
Fantastic Mr. Fox (almost as good as Coraline)
The Princess and the Frog (great traditional animation is back at Disney)
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (enjoyable film, but not award-worthy)
Up (Pixar excellence, but not the best in animation this year. They didn't "up" their game the way they usually do. I was a little disappointed.)
How much did Sony pay to get that nomination? Really... I just flat out want someone to shut down their animation studio and never even so much as make a 30 second commercial ever again. I didn't see Cloudy, but have no wish to. A perfect example why no one should make movies based on books that don't have chapters... they totally ruined the plot by explaining the phenomenon in such a banal way (A scientist did it). I'm sorry... but that's right up there with saying "Oh, Gonzo's an alien... no more explanations" to me.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
How much did Sony pay to get that nomination? Really... I just flat out want someone to shut down their animation studio and never even so much as make a 30 second commercial ever again. I didn't see Cloudy, but have no wish to. A perfect example why no one should make movies based on books that don't have chapters... they totally ruined the plot by explaining the phenomenon in such a banal way (A scientist did it). I'm sorry... but that's right up there with saying "Oh, Gonzo's an alien... no more explanations" to me.
I don't know I didn't think Coudly was all that bad. But I agree compared to sony's other works, that's not saying much. Plus that movie did score a little bit of points for having Mr. T as part of the voice cast.

I mean it's not at all the best animated movie of the year, but it wasn't too bad.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I saw Cloudy on a date that ended well so I have fond memories of it. :wink: