3 Rumba Pencils/ Bosustow Productions?

LabyrinthFan

Reaction score
Came across this while doing a Google search for something totally unrelated. It's about one of those obscure Sesame animations I remember well but haven't seen in years. The URL of the article is printed below the excerpt. If anyone knows what other animations this company did, please fill me in!

Following graduation, instead of pursuing a high-paying advertising agency gig in Chicago or New York, Charlie went to Hollywood seeking animation work. He worked at DePatie-Freleng on "Pink Panther," "Flip Wilson," afterschool TV specials, and Saturday morning kid's fare. But he particularly enjoyed his work for Bosustow Productions, a small Santa Monica film company that worked on "Sesame Street" and "Electric Company" projects.

"That was cool," he said. "The Children's Television Workshop would come to us and say they needed animated imagery that they could cut into their program. That's all they'd say. Here I was just at the start of my career, and I was the artist, the writer, and the director. We were a small company, maybe 10 employees. We would just brainstorm ideas and then individually take off with them."

One of Hayward's first Sesame Street successes was called "Rumba Pencils."

"I animated these three pencils with goofy faces and they came out in a line doing the rumba," he said. "The lesson for the kids was the concept of 'first' and 'last,' so the first one says, 'I'm first' and the third one says 'I'm last.' Well, they rumba a bit more and finally the middle pencil, feeling kinda insecure, blurts out, 'I'm Crazy Melvin!'"

http://www.cda.org/member/pubs/journal/jour699/hayward.html