360 VR Filmmaking

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Knowing how much Jim loved to play with new technology before it even really caught on, I feel like this is something he probably would have been dabbling in long before now:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
That looks awesome! Who knows, maybe this'll be the new norm for filmmaking one day. Maybe we'll actually be able to go to movie theaters and really feel like we're there in the world of the film. It's very fascinating and exciting.

My only concern though. With the VR cameras, it shoots things from all angles. Will the skill and artistry of directing be lost and unappreciated by future filmmakers?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My only concern though. With the VR cameras, it shoots things from all angles. Will the skill and artistry of directing be lost and unappreciated by future filmmakers?
That's exactly what I was thinking. I'll agree, this seems like a really exciting and innovative new filmmaking technique, but you'll notice in the video I shared how all the crew had to go to great lengths to hide themselves to avoid getting on camera . . . of course, puppeteers are used to this, but this really takes it to a whole new level for any off-camera personnel.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Any medium allows for new avenues of creativity. I doubt this will have a lasting impact on "future filmmakers," but those who try it will have inventive ways of using it.