1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

4 Legged Dog Puppet

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by ChickyBoy37, Apr 20, 2017.

1. ChickyBoy37

ChickyBoy37 Well-Known Member

I hope you guys can help me on this but How do I go around building a 4 legged puppet (Like That of the dogs you see on Sesame Street, or Gladys the cow or even Jojo From the Jim Henson Hour) I have always been baffled on how puppet builders can pull it off, so I was wondering can you help me out?

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  2. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

Are you planning to show the legs on screen? Because if not, you'd just have the torso, rear, and head.

3. ChickyBoy37

What do you mean by showing them onscreen?

4. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

Because if you plan on using/performing them somewhere (not necessarily a screen) then it depends on which angle you're going to show the puppet from.

5. ChickyBoy37

Well I did have plans to show legs, kind like this (At 2:52)

6. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

If you're trying those, I wouldn't make back legs.

MikaelaMuppet and ChickyBoy37 like this.
  7. ChickyBoy37

well what you you suggest? :)

8. SandPunk

SandPunk Member

You could tether the front and back legs together with fishing line or perhaps an acrylic rod so they move in tandem.

9. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

It depends on which angle you're going to be showing the puppet from. I'd suggest (based on your wonderful youtube videos) that you should just make front legs.

10. ChickyBoy37

How do I use and Arcylic rod if you don't mind my asking

well regardless what kind of patterns would I need to use?

MikaelaMuppet and SandPunk like this.
  11. SandPunk

SandPunk Member

I don't mind at all. You would embed it in the under structure (the foam or plastic whatever you built the body of your puppet out of), I'd suggest either just above the paws or just under the knee.
    However, on further reflection I think the fishing line would be a better solution. Not only would it be cheaper, but the little bit of slack would probably generate a more "organic" motion. This could just be tied on at the same points mentioned above.

You mentioned the dog from sesame street (Barkley). If i'm not mistaken I believe he's a full bodied suit with a performer inside of him.

12. ChickyBoy37

I don't think I mentioned Barkley (I mean I did say the dogs you see on sesame street, but I should've been more specific) and that sounds pretty neat :)

MikaelaMuppet and SandPunk like this.
  13. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

Full body pig suit.

14. ChickyBoy37

I have watched a few tutorials and I think I might have figured it out

15. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

The back legs work almost exactly like regular puppet arms, they are just positioned differently on the puppet's body. The key to performing a puppet like this is that it takes 2-3 puppeteers to do it properly, which is probably one of the reasons you don't see characters like this very often on Sesame Street.

16. Tioh

Tioh Member

You can attach the body of the puppet to a backpack the puppeteer that wears the backpack also plays the front paws with his hands from bellow. A second puppeteer plays the head. The third puppeteer plays the back legs and tail.
    [​IMG]