1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Meet Julia
    Sesame Street's newest Muppet has autism. Meet Julia this Monday on HBO and PBS. Then discuss the anticipated episode with fans.

3. Sesame Street Season 47
    Sesame Street's 47th season officially began Saturday January 7 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

4 Legged Dog Puppet

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by ChickyBoy37, Apr 20, 2017 at 3:28 PM.

1. ChickyBoy37

ChickyBoy37 Active Member

I hope you guys can help me on this but How do I go around building a 4 legged puppet (Like That of the dogs you see on Sesame Street, or Gladys the cow or even Jojo From the Jim Henson Hour) I have always been baffled on how puppet builders can pull it off, so I was wondering can you help me out?

WhoseLineFan likes this.
  2. gavry3

gavry3 Active Member

Are you planning to show the legs on screen? Because if not, you'd just have the torso, rear, and head.

3. ChickyBoy37

What do you mean by showing them onscreen?

4. gavry3

gavry3 Active Member

Because if you plan on using/performing them somewhere (not necessarily a screen) then it depends on which angle you're going to show the puppet from.

5. ChickyBoy37

Well I did have plans to show legs, kind like this (At 2:52)

WhoseLineFan likes this.
  6. gavry3

gavry3 Active Member

If you're trying those, I wouldn't make back legs.

WhoseLineFan and ChickyBoy37 like this.
  7. ChickyBoy37

well what you you suggest? :)

8. SandPunk

SandPunk Member

You could tether the front and back legs together with fishing line or perhaps an acrylic rod so they move in tandem.

9. gavry3

gavry3 Active Member

It depends on which angle you're going to be showing the puppet from. I'd suggest (based on your wonderful youtube videos) that you should just make front legs.

10. ChickyBoy37

How do I use and Arcylic rod if you don't mind my asking

well regardless what kind of patterns would I need to use?