8 Simple Rules

Gonzo14

Reaction score
Does anyone else watch the show, I've been watching reruns for a while, and I really like it. Even after John Ritter died, the show was still good with James Garner and David Spade, does anyone agree?

Skye

Reaction score
I really like this show, too. But I am a big fan of John Ritter's, so I do think the show was much, much better with him on it. But it is definitely a very funny show.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
i agree, it was better with John Ritter, but I also like seeing Grandpa (Garner) and CJ (Spade) bickering.

The others: Kate (Katey Sagal), Bridgette (Kaley Couco), Kerri (Amy Davidson), and Rory (Martin Spanjers) are funny too, but they need big personalities with them to make the show good (like Ritter, Garner, & Spade)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I try very hard not to come into a discussion of a show I hate and burst someone's bubble unless I feel it is necisarry. This is one of those times. John Ritter dying on the set of this show is almost as embarassing a way to go as Elvis dying on the toilet.

The series was routine, pedestrian, unfunny, and just a waste of a time slot. It was exactly like every other family sitcom the public got sick of in the 90's only less enjoyable. The only reason it was on the lenght it was is that they felt guilty John Ritter died making it. ANd now they repeat it on the WB, twice a day.

I felt the show wasted the talents of Ritter and Katey Segal, who have much bigger career highlights in more groundbreaking shows. The addition of the cast members after the death was overcompensating for the fact the show was still lousy.

I mean, as shows like Everybody Hates Chris, the Office, and My Name is Earl prove the "laugh track" sitcom is dead. 2 and a Half Men is good, and I LOVED king of Queens (until CBS had to can it for more "idiot singles trying to find sex" shows), but there's nothing interresting anymore. Thank god this one was canned a year ago.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
well you have your opinion and i have mine

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
I must disagree, drtooth, I really enjoy 8 Simple Rules. But that is my opinion. Or is it? That is the real question...

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
:smirk: i catch the show on tv every now n then. Is it still going or is it done and over with and just reruns now? :confused:

messyplace

Reaction score
its quite good, whats the "laugh track" thing about? Wasnt it done live until that bloke died?

Decent for a run of the mill comedy series, ended before it got tiresome.

Everybody hates Christ is terrible anyway. Drtooth needs to loosen up I think.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Gonzo14 said:
Does anyone else watch the show, I've been watching reruns for a while, and I really like it. Even after John Ritter died, the show was still good with James Garner and David Spade, does anyone agree?
I tried to give it a shot after John Ritter died but I didn't like the way the two daughters' personalities were kind of switched around, and I HATE David Spade. I find him annoying in everything he does. I LOVED this show when Mr. Ritter was on it, as I was a HUGE fan of his and really got into the show but I just thought it lost something after he passed on even though the rest of the cast is very talented.