A boy finds an officer who's his uncle (1970)

TotallySpiesFan

Reaction score
I know it is from episode 179 of "Sesame Street" but:

(1) What happens in this sketch?

(2) Where did it take place at?

(3) How is it?

(4) If there's ending music in there, how did it go?

Four questions please!

Ziffel

Reaction score
I haven't thought about this one for a long time but definitely saw it several times in the early 70's. It took place outside on a street sidewalk. The little boy muppet may have been lost and looked for a policeman to help. Or he wasn't lost but simply ran into a policeman while playing outside. I think he was lost but can't recall for sure. What I do know for sure is the policeman is his uncle. But he doesn't recognize him because he is in uniform. The uncle takes off his uniform and cap and when he is just in regular clothes, the boy recognizes him. If I remember correctly, the uncle muppet looks like the blue Simon the Soundeffects muppet. But here his name is Uncle Louie. Perhaps this was before Simon debuted. It was a pleasant skit, but no real funny moments. I forgot how it closed. I believe the kid said something to his Uncle that was kind of cute and naive, as typical for small children.

SesameMike

Reaction score
The skit began with a child crying that he was lost. He spots a policeman, and remembers that he was told to see a police officer if one is in trouble. Bits of the dialog went something like this:

Charlie: Hey Mr. Policeman...
Policeman: Why Charlie! Say Charlie, what are you doing here?

The cop explains that he's really his Uncle Louie

C: But my Uncle Louie doesn't wear big hats like that.
P: I take the hat off when you come to visit. But when I go to work I put it on.

The cop takes off the policeman's hat

C: Hmm, you do look more like Uncle Louie. But that coat, with the buttons. My Uncle Louie wears regular sweaters.

The cop takes off the uniform jacket

C: UNCLE LOUIE!! (they embrace)
P: Yessir, it's me!
C: Oh Uncle Louie, I'm so glad to see you.

C: Uncle Louie, I'm lost; can you help me find a policeman?
P: Wha... <insert closing music here>

This skit slightly confused me for a different reason. You see, my late grandfather was named Louie, but in 1970 I didn't know that. Yet at a family reunion one day, several relatives were seen calling Grandpa "Uncle Louie". Talk about deja vu.

The backdrop used in this skit was a Central Park and/or pedestrian bridge setting. I think there were square street lamps present. In any case, I believe this same background made a cameo appearance in another Muppet skit (a short bit in a sketch that included multiple Muppets in different environments.)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Can't remember any background/ending music, so let your imagination be your guide! :smirk: