A Family Like No Else

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Hi ho all! Welcome to my Fanfic thread and once you arrive you can never leave!

(Maniacal laugh.....maniacal laugh.....mwahahahahahahahahaha!)
How come there is no Uncle Deadly smiley, huh? What the Fraggle is up with that?

Anywho, this where I'll post my stories whenever an idea pops into my head. My guess is that they will all be Kermit-centric one-shots, but who knows at this stage?

I hope you will enjoy yourself while you are here and I sincerely hope I can entertain you!

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Summer Time Adventure

Chapter One: More out there

It was a warm and lonesome night in the swamp as most of its inhabitants had settled down for the evening. The crickets and cicadas that had survived the feeding frenzy a mere few hours before, were chirping and whistling in an infested serenade to the moon and stars. An owl could be spotted resting a branch, it's sharp eyes scanned the ground for any scurrying movement on the damp surface.

In and around a large pond to the north, a family of over 3,000 frogs were nestled together sleeping peacefully. Some were blue, some where purple, some were yellow. Some frogs were lucky enough to have wonderful little patterns on their bodies, like stripes on their head or spots on their back. They were all the same and yet so different. Each frog was unique to his or her brothers and sisters.

Perhaps the most unique of The Frog clan was the eldest of all the siblings. He was bright green and possessed a collar of sorts around his neck of a paler green that stuck out oddly in thin triangular points. His arms were long and flimsy and his fingers were spindly and thin. His legs didn't look like much, but they were capable of hopping to decent heights and propelling through the water with the aid of his flippers.

This particular frog was named Kermit.

Kermit had recently turned 13 years old. It had been over a year since his adventure out of the swamp with his friends Goggles and Croaker. In the year since, Croaker's family had moved to swampland further away then Kermit was capable of walking. Goggles was still around, but his parents remained convinced that Kermit was a bad influence and tended to keep Goggles away.

This had upset Kermit greatly. Sure, he had other friends, but none of them shared his view of the world. He couldn't wait to get back out there beyond the safety of the swamp. The excitement and thrills were too good to pass up. He now knew that not all humans were evil and he wanted to be able to meet more. He wanted to go back to the movies and eat popcorn and marvel at the acting.

Kermit currently sat up in what he called his 'pondering tree' and continued to gaze up at the stars. What wonders were there beyond the swamp and beyond Leland? He wished to see it all.

The wind started to blow a cool breeze along the surface of the water. Ripples formed and dissipated as quietly as a mouse. Kermit watched as a shooting star passed over him, feeling content from the peacefulness of the night. Feeling a melody begin, he gently sang to himself:

Is something waiting beyond here?
Something I can't foresee?
Am I doomed to a closed in life-
Or is fate calling to me?

I can feel it deep in my soul.
It's enveloping my heart.
Is it too late for me to run?
Or is it just the start?

It's the beginning of something wondrous.
It's shining ever more bright.
I wish it'd tell me where to go .
On this very summer's night...

"Kermit? What are you doing up at this hour, young frog? Aren't you well?" came a soft voice from below. Kermit looked down to see one of his many aunts gazing up to him. In this case, it was Aunt Rhonda.

Not all frogs found themselves a mate and raised families. Aunt Rhonda, for instance, instead decided to take in a few nieces and nephews to help take the pressure off her sister, Delilah and her mate Jeremiah. Kermit was one of the few she adopted.

"I feel fine, Aunt Rhonda," Kermit replied. He gave her a warm smile, which she returned, "I'm just thinking about a few things, that's all."

"Okay then, as long as you are all right, I'm happy," said Aunt Rhonda fondly, "Just don't stay up too late, al right? We can't have you getting sick."

"Sick? When have I ever gotten sick?" Kermit questioned cheekily.

Aunt Rhonda grinned, "Only every time you've overfilled yourself with fruit flies!"

"I don't know what you're talking about," huffed Kermit. He climbed down the tree and fell into Aunt Rhonda's arms. She swung him around and then set him on the ground.

"Come on, you silly little tadpole," Aunt Rhonda teased. She clasped Kermit's hand and lead him over to his sleeping spot, a pile of soft swamp grass next to the water.

"I'm not a tadpole, my tail fail off over a year ago!" Kermit argued. Aunt Rhonda just snickered.

Kermit lay down in the grass and let out a yawn. Aunt Rhonda settled in next to him. Knowing he wasn't going to sleep easily, Rhonda started to sing to her nephew. Gradually, Kermit nodded off and started to snore quietly. She sighed, remembering when he was barely bigger then her flipper.

"They sure do grow fast," she told herself. Rhonda rested her head and could feel sleep overcoming her as well, "But no matter what, he'll always be my little tadpole."

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
(gasps) A Kermit story! YAAAAAAAYYYYYY! More updates please!

Hmmm... Kermit's thirteen years old... that's pretty young age for a frog like him.

JimandFrank, I love your avatar. Very sweet to include Steve W. w/ Kermit.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Thank you, as soon as I saw it, I knew it had to be mine!

I know it's a young age for Kermit, but it's only set a year after Kermit's Swamp Years. If you've never seen it, check it out on YouTube.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Thank you, as soon as I saw it, I knew it had to be mine!

I know it's a young age for Kermit, but it's only set a year after Kermit's Swamp Years. If you've never seen it, check it out on YouTube.
Sorry I haven't see n it, but I am sure that this was when Jim Henson undefined was around. I don't to be a spoiler, but I hope I didn't give away too many spoilers.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't see n it, but I am sure that this was when Jim Henson undefined was around. I don't to be a spoiler, but I hope I didn't give away too many spoilers.
Well, ya see during the Swamp Year's film, Kermit was only a few years younger than Jim. Jim made an appearance in the film (obviously not the real Jim seeing as the film was released in 2001-2002), but Jim is about 15 in the story.

Does that clear anything up?

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Well, ya see during the Swamp Year's film, Kermit was only a few years younger than Jim. Jim made an appearance in the film (obviously not the real Jim seeing as the film was released in 2001-2002), but Jim is about 15 in the story.

Does that clear anything up?
Yes! By the way, it all started with Sam and Friends and he was pretty young. Plus, Jane worked with him. Those were those days and ti was his idea to come up with "muppets."

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Chapter Two:

Kermit was up and gone from his resting spot before Aunt Rhonda could even wipe the morning mud out of her eyes. He was off to find Goggles before either of their parents woke up and separated them once more.

Kermit moved quickly, hopping from side to side to avoid stepping on his siblings. Unfortunately, one or two received a rather nasty wake up call when Kermit trod on their flippers or hands.

"Ugh, Kermit! Every morning!" growled a few of them. Kermit would merely send an apologetic look in their direction and then kept on going. Finally he escaped from the pile of Frog's and rushed into the long grass.

Within a matter of a few minutes, Kermit was at Arnie the Alligator's pond, where he, Goggles and Croaker used to hang out. Arnie had settled himself onto a large rock, basking in the early morning sun. His eyes widened in surprise as Kermit came hurtling in his direction. Arnie shook his head in amusement, "Here he comes right on time..."

"Arnie! Is he here? Did Goggles come? Where is he?" cried Kermit, panting. He slowed down and bent over to try and gain control of his breath.

Arnie chuckled, "Settle down there Kerm. It's still pretty early, he may still turn up yet."

Kermit sighed sadly, he waddled over to the rock and settled down next to Arnie. He placed his face in his hands, "It's not fair...I'm not a bad influence...I was the one who decided to go and save Goggles. If I was a bad influence, I would've just left him to be taken to that pet store and then gutted in a science room...."

Arnie gave him a sympathetic look, "I know things look bad right now..."

Kermit huffed, "It's just annoying, that's all. It was bad enough when Croaker had to go on the move. At least I still had Goggles.....Now I have nobody..."

Arnie found himself looking for a bright side, "Well, you still have your siblings at least, go and start playing with them.

"I can't hang out with them, they pick on me all the time! I'm the oldest of all my brothers and sisters, but for some reason I'm shorter! Even shorter than Brian! And he's the youngest. It's humiliating!"

"Okay, okay I get your point! I was once young as well you know," replied Arnie patiently. He laid his head back down on the warm surface, "At least your siblings have never tried to eat you."

"Yours did?" asked Kermit.

"Yep, it's survival of the biggest when you're a 'gator like me," sighed Arnie, "I remember when my older sister chased me through the reeds and got jammed between two logs. Funniest thing I've ever seen..."

Kermit laughed lightly at the image, but Arnie could see the frog was still a little blue. He had always had a soft spot for Kermit and his two friends ever since they'd once asked if they could touch one of his teeth. They had never judged him once for being a mindless eating machine.

"Hey," said Arnie. Kermit looked up to meet his gaze. There was no sparkle behind the frog's eyes.

"Want to have some fun?" asked Arnie slyly.

Kermit nodded slowly, "I guess so."

"Then you know what you need to do, don't you?" Arnie teased. Kermit could already see where this was going, "Jump!"

Kermit was on his feet in a matter of seconds. Arnie playfully snapped out at the Frog, who instinctively leapt into the air and bolted for the water.

"7 feet, nice one!" encouraged Arnie, "But let's see if you can swim as well as you can hop!" Arnie swivelled himself around and crashed into the water behind Kermit. Water sprayed in all directions as the 'gator dived beneath the water.

Kermit was already under and swimming with all the grace of an adult frog. The water was cold and murky, but Kermit was used to this. He propelled himself along the bottom, pushing off random swamp debris to help to move along. He could just hear Arnie swivelling behind him.

"I'm gaining on you!" exclaimed Arnie playfully. The 'gator smashed a log out of his way in his pursuit.

With a rush of adrenaline, Kermit surged forward. Bubbles escaped his mouth as Kermit laughed in his excitement. Kermit could just see a small tunnel ahead formed out of rock and clay. It was just his size and he squeezed in. He worked his way out by wriggling his entire body.

Just as Kermit popped out of the exit, he was met face to face with Arnie's smile of sharp teeth. Already having a plan, Kermit swam upwards and breached the surface when a small bang. He gasped for air then sank back under just as Arnie copied his actions. Kermit kicked backwards, swivelled over onto his stomach and headed back for the bank.

By the time Arnie reached the shore, Kermit was already sitting there waiting for him. Arnie shook his head in amusement and laughed heartily, "I'll have to admit, Kerm, you're getting faster every time!"

"Face it Arnie, you'll never be able to catch me! On land or in water!" Kermit declared.

Arnie made his way over to the frog, "I will one day, I can promise you that."

"Wanna bet?"

Arnie snapped at him again. The two play-wrestled for an hour or so until Kermit was called back to his family for lunch.

"See you soon, Green Stuff!"

Kermit walked back home, feeling comfortable for the first time in ages, that he still had friends out there.

Yeah, yeah, I know it's pretty short, but that was the inbetweener section. The real adventure will start in a few days time.