A few queries for those doing online toy productions

Cap Backfire

Reaction score
OK, here's a few queries that I thought I had to ask sooner than later...
True to form, there's a rant before the questions...

I rarely do anything half-appled, and this will be no exception. COnsidering the massive amounts of dough I have spent over the course of this line, I couldn't justify doing a Twisted Muppets Theater anything but full-bore. I looked over the old Toyfare's I have and tried to get a feel for what they are doing with their productions, and I've probably set myself up for a few snags. Here's a few of my questions for those of you already doing something like this.

1: For lighting-what have you worked out so far as best lighting? I'm actually building a scale house (pretty close to the one in MFS) for my show, and before it gets under way, I wanted to see what kinda ceiling I should be looking at. I want to make the whole thing modular, but my buddy who is the carpenter of this little project, votes against that. The basement will be seperate, as well as the garage (no kidding, this is serious) so that should not be a problem.

2: For props, are you building your own or raiding doll sets? I'm kinda on the fence here, as much of the doll stuff is just too darn big! Although, the Bratz stuff is pretty sweet and almost scale... WIth a little dumbing down and sizing it, you can clothe the entire line in new outfits and the props are cool as well. If I can justify the purchase of the Bratz limo, I am SO getting it! I';ve even invented a daughter who loves the stuff so I can explain why I need it to the toy people...

3: Legally, whats the story of your preparations? I mean, now that Disney owns Muppets, are you guys doing anything different??? Are we covered by the parody laws??? My intentions are to create a line of stories that deal with the Muppets in their personal lives, and off the stage. Taking the backstage scenes one step further as it were. Granted, I will be doing some of the skits "on scene" at the studio (I spent that much on the beautiful playsets, I might as well use em for something other than dust collecting)
So the gyst of this question is to ask if anyone else has been asked to cease and desist...

4: What's a good web host to use for this kinda thing? OR should I try and get my own server? It's an option. I'm kinda new at this internet stuff...

Anyway, in another 4 months or so I'll be ready for the web. Check it if you can folks. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all your help so far!!! :wink:

The Narrator

Reaction score
I'm sort of learning this whole web comic thing as I go and I'm learning from my mistakes and adding and modifying as budget and time allow, but I know I've still got a ways to go. For what it's worth, though, here's what I've learned in my three months of web comicing.
Cap Backfire said:
1: For lighting-what have you worked out so far as best lighting?
I've found that closed roof sets are actually harder to light--also, there's a matter of needing arm space for trickier shots when the figs aren't exactly standing. I try to make sure that I don't have any lights on that aren't covered or pointing straight up. In fact, my main light is a little $9 desk lamp from Ikea that I can manipulate to point at the wall or ceiling or anything but straight on the figures and set itself. For some sets the glare is the problem (I have to be very careful about light direction on the SwineTrek) and for others it's a matter of making sure the shadows don't block the background details (which was an issue with the Swedish Chef's kitchen).

Cap Backfire said:
2: For props, are you building your own or raiding doll sets?
I generally raid doll sets. Like you said, the Bratz stuff is pretty much to scale (check out next week's strips to see one of their playsets in action) and specialty dollhouse stores generally carry many items that are close enough to correct to work. Of course, those specialty stores aren't cheap--I'm still trying to find a dining-room type set that works for my needs and budget. I'm getting the hang of Sculpey, though, so some of my odder prop needs will be baked, not bought and one of my girl friends and I are going to have a geeky get-together with her sewing machine to make some new outfits (and some Hope & Crosby "Road" movies in the background).

Cap Backfire said:
I've even invented a daughter who loves the stuff so I can explain why I need it to the toy people...
Buying this stuff at Toys R Us is always a hoot. "Do you need a guest receipt?" "Nope, this is all for me. Yep, I'm that lame!"

Cap Backfire said:
3: Legally, whats the story of your preparations? I mean, now that Disney owns Muppets, are you guys doing anything different??? Are we covered by the parody laws???
I'm loathe to do it, but I need to update my Muppet copyright disclaimer to point to Disney instead of JHC, but other than that, I'm not doing too much differently. The whole "Fair Use Copyright Act of 1976" is a bit legally muddled if you ask me, but even a monster like The Mouse isn't likely to come down that hard on folks who are doing little more than not-for-profit graphical fan-fic. ...That's not to say that I don't already have long-term plans underway for how to keep the comic going should I get a "cease and desist." When all else fails, remember: "Mickey Mouse" is trademarked, but "Mikey Rat" is fair game.

Cap Backfire said:
My intentions are to create a line of stories that deal with the Muppets in their personal lives, and off the stage. Taking the backstage scenes one step further as it were.
Again, it's essentially graphical fan-fic. Buck-Beaver linked to this site in another thread and it doesn't exactly answer the question, but it gets close. I looked up a few works on fan-fic copyright before beginning and liked the ease of which this FAQ read, but could never determine a true answer to the question of "am I protected?" Twisted Theater is satire, and doesn't really use the characters as much as it uses the toys, if that makes any sense. What I do and what it sounds like you're doing is expounding on existing premises--which can always be tricky.

Cap Backfire said:
4: What's a good web host to use for this kinda thing? OR should I try and get my own server? It's an option. I'm kinda new at this internet stuff...
I'll warn you now, the longer the site is up, the more bandwidth you're going to use up. I got linked by another web comic recently and transferred over 500 meg in two day's time (my strips are each about 160k--but it adds up quick). Fortunately, I work in the web industry and my hosting is free, but I've looked up hosts in the past and were I forced to choose a host I'd probably switch to FuitadNet who are very cheap and offer lots of space and bandwidth for the buck, but their servers can get bogged down from time to time.

Cap Backfire said:
Anyway, in another 4 months or so I'll be ready for the web. Check it if you can folks. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all your help so far!!! :wink:
Looking forward to it, Cap Backfire! Also, please share any learning experiences you acquire on the way--then we can all learn from eachothers trials and triumphs! :big_grin:

Cap Backfire

Reaction score
Sure thing!!!

Thanks man. All of this makes sense, and it's cool as cukes.

Now from what I'm reading here, I should really NOT be true to the characters??? Cause TTT use their own characters attitudes over the toys personas??? Weird. I don't know if I could do that... I'm gonna stick to what I got going now as far as plots and such.

I fully intend to share any hints I have for all of you who are interested. Maybe with mods and set building and such. I will also have the blueprints up for the house we;re making for anyone who's interested.

All right guys, thanks again and any other advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.

The Narrator

Reaction score
Cap Backfire said:
Now from what I'm reading here, I should really NOT be true to the characters??? Cause TTT use their own characters attitudes over the toys personas??? Weird. I don't know if I could do that... I'm gonna stick to what I got going now as far as plots and such.
Oh, definitely stick with your plans for a sort of Muppet Show continuation (if I read you right)! I was just pointing out the difference between TTT and your stated objective of staying true to the characters. In that respect, TTT is definitely creating a different medium and a more derivative work than it would be if the toys were true to their character personas. It doesn't sound like you'll be marketing your site for profit and you're using toys, not puppets, so you should be okay, too! :smile:

Cap Backfire

Reaction score
Back again...

So I just finished reading the Pork Factor 9 entire series and lemme say, with what you're using, I am ultimately inspired. It seems that you've kept the flavor of the original skits pretty much intact! Although I don't know anyone who could take multiple pork chops from Piggy and still be standing, but Scorpius was pretty tough.

I'm making a "Evil Second Cousin, Twice Removed" of Strangepork. He's gonna be Shloemoe Badpork, and like any pork gone bad... He's green.

Also, I could see your lighting improve as your strip went on. Good job. And your special effects are awesome indeed. Perfectly cheezy!!!

Keep it up Narrator... (Love how you worked yourself into the strip... HAHAHHA)

The Narrator

Reaction score
Cap Backfire said:
I'm making a "Evil Second Cousin, Twice Removed" of Strangepork. He's gonna be Shloemoe Badpork, and like any pork gone bad... He's green.
Great name! And of course he went evil... it's not easy being green! :big_grin:

Cap Backfire said:
Keep it up Narrator...
Thanks! I'll try! :smile:

...Approx four months for your comic launch and I'm already too excited to wait! :excited:

Cap Backfire

Reaction score
Hahah!!

Thanks man. I hope I can live up to the hype you're dishing out. HAHAHA

Anyway, I plan on using multiple lines as well, but not jsut as stand ins or guests.. As regular characters. The Muppet House is kind of a halfway house for disillusioned and unused characters who have been known to bring joy to others... HOward the Duck, Earthworm Jim... THe list goes on and on... Jack Skellington. These guys will all be regulars, but the Muppets will prevail over the rest.

Anyway, off to the storyboards...

The Narrator

Reaction score
In case anyone's curious, I just put a small photo collection up of my current workspace. Check it out here. It also features my current Muppet figure collection.

beaker

Reaction score
I refuse to acknowlege Disney owns the Muppets...I'd love to do a drawn Muppet webcomic myself.