A Heart of Gold

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Oh it's so awesome!! Craig and Robert! Mind if I call him Rob? Or Bob? Or Rob-alob-a-Bob-Rob? Didn't think so. But it's awesome! Loved the opening, so so much. Kermit and Sam, so powerful. I just loved the whole thing! And, as always, MORE PLEASE!!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Yes, you may call him Bob.

You may not call him Rob.

I would not advise you to call him Rob-alob-a-Bob-Rob, either.

But Bob, or Geraldson, or... yeah. He's a cool guy. So's Craig.

And Ed, it feels like it's unfinished because there's more to come! ...Eventually.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
How much did I love this chapter? The quiet beauty in Kermit and Sam raising the flag. The visit from two of Kermit's Marine friends! And Janice!!! This line:
I said as much as I do like to support the troops, I am not posing for-"
gives a sense of normalcy and like Fozzie said "yep, Kermit's really home" It just shows that even though so much has changed for all of them, some things never change. I look forward to reading more of this visit from Craig and Robert.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Oooh, what to say, what to say...Kermit, for a start. That's Kermit. Right there. See? See him? *points* Kermit. He's real.

Sam. *points at Sam* That's Sam. Robin is Robin.

Bob isn't Rob, though, and Rob isn't Bob. Wait...um?

But KERMIT! He's Kermit. Yes he is. And don't you dare tell me otherwise. Hes Kermit alright.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Fourteen

They settled themselves on the couch.

"When did they send you guys back?" Kermit asked.

"Pretty much right after you," Craig said. "Just as soon as Bob here was good enough to travel!"

"How's your gut, Bob?" Kermit asked. His voice dropped slightly. "Did they get the bullet out?"

Bob nodded. "Gut's good enough," he said. "Your shoulder?"

"It's progressing," Kermit sighed, and he tugged at the sling. "But I'm getting about ready to rip this thing in two-"

"Don't blame ya, sir," Craig said. "Betty Sue had one of those once, and-"

"Have you seen her yet?" Kermit asked. "Have you been home at all, yet?"

They glanced at each other. "We came here first," Bob said quietly.

"Why?" Kermit said.

"Well y'see sir," Craig said, leaning forward and setting his elbows on his knees, "What happened is that Major D, he called us in and he says 'Boys, I sure hope you was good 'n' humble to Frog before he left,' and we says t'him, 'Major, we ain't seen Frog before he left,' and he says 'You mean you ain't seen him since Damascus?' and we says 'No sir!' and he says 'Well then you boys better march right on home and get straight to that frog and thank him,' so that's what we done."

"Major D. told you that?" Kermit said. "Yeah right. He sent you here to make sure I didn't take his spoon or something."

"Fork, actually," Bob grinned.

"Mm-hm, typical," Kermit said.

"I thought it was his ball-point pen?" Craig said.

"No that's what Sanders supposedly took," Bob said.

"Whaddaya think he'll say you guys took?" Kermit said. "Lighter? Reading glasses?"

"Chap stick," Craig said.

"Does he have reading glasses?" Bob asked.

"No, but he should," Kermit said.

"Amen to that," Bob nodded.

"Hey wait a second," Kermit said, "Craig, why'd he send you home?"

The smile dropped off of Craig's face. "Same reason as Andrews," he said.

Kermit nodded.

"What did Major say he took?" Bob asked.

"Some good luck charm, I think," Kermit said.

"Heh- if you ask the Major, they're all good luck charms," Bob said.

"Yeah, but only when he can't find 'em," Kermit said. "Once he knows where they are, they're worthless again."

The front door opened. "Hello! I'm home!" a cheerful voice trilled. "Did any of vous save any lunch?"

"We tried, but keep in mind who lives here!" Rowlf called out.

"Piggy, could you come in here?" Kermit called. "There's some people I want you to meet."

He could almost hear the way she hesitated, readjusting her demeanor for company, before stepping into the room with her usual classiness. "Certainly, Kermie," she said as she sashayed around the couch to perch herself on the arm and kiss the back of his head before even thinking of looking up at the two visitors- whom she had, of course, all ready sized up when she entered the room.

Kermit watched with a certain smugness as his friends sat a little straighter and cleared their throats. "Piggy, this is Pfc. Craig Rivers and Pfc. Robert Geraldson," he said, gesturing. "Bob, Craig- This is Miss Piggy." As if they hadn't noticed.

"No kidding," Bob muttered under his breath.

If she heard him, she didn't acknowledge it. "Pleasure to meet you, boys," she said with a smile, letting her eyelashes lower just slightly.

"Pleasure's all ours," Bob sputtered. He turned to Craig and nodded towards her. "The other one he never shuts up about."

Noticing Craig's rather slacked jaw and bulged eyes, Kermit turned to look at her. "You'll have to forgive them, Piggy," he said with a playful smile. "They just got back. It's been a while since they've seen a lady out of uniform." He let his eyes sweep over her significantly, and he was pleased with what he saw.

"Understandable," she said patiently, touching the back of his arm and pretending she wasn't fully taking advantage of being the center of attention.

"I had a feeling you'd think so," he whispered to her, not at all displeased- proud, if anything.

Bob cleared his throat. "Well, um- Kermit," he said, and he reached out and shook Kermit's hand. "We wanted to thank you," he said firmly.

Kermit shifted his weight.

"For what?" Miss Piggy asked innocently, discreetly sliding her finger down the back of her frog's arm.

"Why, don't you know?" Craig said, snapping out of his trance. "This frog here saved our lives!"

Miss Piggy straightened up slightly, pleased. "Oh! He never mentioned that," she said sweetly.

"Oh, absolutely!" Craig said. "How did y'think he got that Purple Heart o'his?"

Bob nodded appreciatively. "That bullet was aiming for my neck," he said, pointing to his jugular for emphasis.

Kermit shrugged it off, squirming. "It was a lousy shot," he muttered.

"It was aiming for my neck," Bob repeated.

"That's right!" Craig said. "And Kermit took his helmet off for that neck!"

"You WHAT?" Fozzie said, staring at Kermit, his eyes blazing with retrospective worry.

"I-" Kermit straightened up slightly. "I had other protection. Bob didn't!" he explained.

"Bob was lyin' down on the job," Bob said with a wink.

"Ha!" Craig tossed his head back. "That's one way to put it!"

Miss Piggy wrapped her arms around Kermit. "So brave," she sighed. She thought about the helmet. "Foolish, but brave."

"That's the same thing," Kermit said.

"Maybe in your eyes," she said. She kissed his cheek, released him, and stood up. "Moi am getting awfully hungry- I'm going to find something to eat, if you'll excuse moi." She trotted off towards the kitchen. "Nice meeting vous, boys!"

Craig watched her go with eyes that appeared to be lazy but were anything but. He turned to look Kermit straight in the eye. "Sir," he said, "I think I can suddenly understand why you did not find Lieutenant Rebecca Jackson to be particularly attractive."

Kermit grinned broadly at him. "I had a feeling you did," he said. "You look like you could use a little fresh air there, Private Rivers."

"I know I sure could," Bob said, adjusting his shirt collar.

"I love it," Rowlf said, "Breaking in the inexperienced. There's a porch out front, good for breathers."

Pepe shook his head at the two Marines. "Jou two have been in de service too long, hokay?" he said.

On the other side of the room, there was suddenly a very large BOOM!

Bob and Craig instinctively ducked down.

"HARRY!" Kermit scolded. "It's okay, guys, that's usual around here. War or no war."

They stood up, looking a little shaken, especially Craig.

"I think I'll take you up on that fresh air," he said.

Kermit nodded. "Sounds like a good idea," he said. "Um, excuse us, guys..." He led Craig and Bob out onto the porch.

Miss Piggy was alone in the kitchen when she noticed through the window that Kermit and his war buddies were going out to the porch.

She cracked the window open.

"So how are you really doing?" Bob asked. "You're not taking it as easy as you act."

"Neither are you," Kermit said bluntly. "...Are you okay, Craig?"

"I'll be fine, sir," Craig said, looking out at the street. He turned. "Is it harder here?" he asked. "With Robin around?”

Kermit put his hands on the railing. "I've been home for three days," he said. "...I can't even look Robin in the eye."

"I take it you haven't been to the swamp yet, then," Bob said.

"No," Kermit said. "I'm dreading it." He turned. "What about you?" he asked. "Have you talked to your mom? Called her? Anything?"

"No," Bob said, his eyes hard.

"You should," Kermit said softly. "She needs to know, Bob."

Bob sighed. "Of all the guys to get sent home..."

"A mother should know where her child is," Kermit said.

"Amen," Craig whispered.

Kermit put his hand on Craig's arm. "Have you talked to Sally?" he asked.

"Yeah," Craig said. He closed his eyes. "She said she's waitin' for me," he said. "I'm thinkin' I wanna bring her something nice."

Kermit nodded. "That's a good idea," he said. He looked down.

"You haven't forgiven yourself yet, have you?" Bob sighed.

Kermit looked up at him, his face strained. "How could I?" he asked.

"Because y'had to do it," Craig said. "Golly, sir, if any of us is guilty, it sure ain't you."

"He was a kid," Kermit said.

Bob put his hand on Kermit's back. "Thanks," he whispered.

Kermit gulped. "I can't get his eyes out of my head," he said.

"I can't forget his gun," Craig said.

Bob shook his head. "I just keep hearing him."

Miss Piggy listened, but they were very quiet for a long time.

She closed the window.

After a while, there was a slight commotion, and she left the kitchen to find that Kermit had come back inside with Craig and Bob, who were now preparing to leave.

"Bye guys!" Kermit said. "Great to see you again. Thanks for coming by!"

His voice was cheerful, but his face was in pain. He was thinking of something he wanted to forget, and they could all see it.

"Thank you, Kermit," Bob said, shaking his hand.

"Yes sir, thank you," Craig said, shaking Kermit's hand in turn.

"Don't call me 'sir,' for the last time!" Kermit teased. "We're the same rank!"

They chuckled.

"Keep in touch, Frog," Bob said.

"You too, Geraldson," Kermit said.

They turned to Craig. "Rivers," they said in unison.

"I will!" Craig said.

Craig and Bob shook their heads as they chuckled out the door.

"Bye guys," Kermit said.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that's more like it... Nice full chapter rich with everything we come to hexpect from a Lisa fanfic production.
Piggy... Eavesdropping on her frog? That's not very ladylike... But it does get the job done for when she needs to keep that frog in line.
Very palpable the pain shared by the trio... Great conversation styled chapter.

What more can I say but, More Please!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Oh how I love it! And oh how incredible that our frog saved two lives! Gosh I love him... I just wish he could forgive himself... I've forgiven him, so has Piggy, and I think if Robin knew, he'd forgive his uncle too. I just know he would. Anyway, great chapter other half! ((((HUGS)))) and more please!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Kermit the hero...very nice. The scene with him and his friends though, very painful. Still, nice to have them there and see him interact with them. I really enjoyed their addition to the story. Hugs to you Lisa, can't wait to read more.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Okay so here's the deal. I'm not allowed to have my computer turned on until my room is clean, so we're all just going to pretend I'm not here, okay? I probably won't be able to come on until late tonight, at the earliest.

But I HAD to post this chapter.

It's another rough one, so brace yourselves with the proper soft cushy creatures.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Fifteen

"Wow," Fozzie said as the door closed. "Kermit, you saved their lives!"

"Yeah," Kermit said quietly, looking out the window after them. His voice grew to be almost inaudible. "No good deed goes unpunished."

Seeing him there so forlorn, Miss Piggy instinctively stepped forward to comfort him, but before she was close enough-

"Excuse me." Kermit turned and pushed through to the stairs, not looking at anyone.

Miss Piggy watched him go. She looked at the door. She looked at the stairs. She had to know.

She pushed through the Muppets, opened the door, closed it behind herself, and rushed off the porch. "Boys!" she called out. "Wait."

They stopped and turned to stare at her. "Miss Piggy," Bob sputtered.

"You were there," she said matter-of-factly. "You were with him, right?"

"We was in the same unit," Craig said.

Her voice dropped down low. "When he killed the little boy," she said. "I know he did it. Were you with him then?"

They stiffened.

Craig looked at his boots. "We was, ma'am," he mumbled.

"How-" Bob shifted his weight. "How much has he told you?" he asked.

She hesitated. "Very little," she said. "But he makes it sound like he's a murderer, and you make it sound like he's a hero." She took a deep breath. "Tell me what happened.”

Craig snapped his head up abruptly. "Ma'am-"

"Don't MA'AM moi, just-" she stopped. "Just... tell me what happened," she said quietly.

The looked at each other. "Mind if we sit on the porch, then?" Bob asked.

"Sure." They went back to the porch, where the two Marines sat on the steps while Miss Piggy stood.

"Um," Craig looked uneasy. "You may want to sit down, ma'am."

"Never mind it," she said quietly. "Tell me what happened."

Bob took a deep breath. "All right," he said. "Here's how it went."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

"It's clear!" Bob said. "Come on, let's get out of here!"

They bolted into the next room.

BAM! BAM!

"Get down!"

"No choice there," a groan came from the floor.

"Bob!"

They ducked behind the only shelter they could find. It was low, but it sufficed. Bob had fallen to the floor, flat on his back. He was bleeding... and their shelter wasn't quite enough. It blocked his feet, his legs, his hips, his abdomen- his bleeding abdomen- and his chest. But his head and neck were open to the incessant fire of bullets.

Craig grabbed a grenade, pulled the pin, pitched it.

BANG!

But the gunshot continued.

"Bob!" Kermit took his helmet off and stretched it out, hoping to block the bullets from his friend's vulnerable neck.

BAM! Whiz-

"AH!"

The helmet dropped from his hand and he clutched his shoulder and he grabbed the helmet again and set it in front of Bob's neck and face.

"HOLD THIS THERE!" he ordered.

"Frog, you're crazy! Put this back on!" Bob protested, but he did as he was told.

The gunfire continued.

Craig struggled with his rifle. "It's jammed!" he said.

"We gotta get outta here," Kermit panted. He pulled a bandange out of a pocket.

Craig's eyes went wide. "SIR!" he pointed.

Kermit grabbed his pistol and turned and shot where Craig pointed.

That was when he saw.

The boy was looking straight into Kermit's eyes. He was small. He was so devastatingly small.

Blood seeped forth from his chest. The bullet had hit his heart. He fell backwards, eyes still open, and his gun clattered beside him, bigger than he was.

He did not stir.

"We could see it right then," Bob said huskily. "It was all over his face... We knew he'd take it hard."

Miss Piggy slowly lowered herself down onto the last step.

"He ain't one t'kill nobody," Craig said miserably. "He's the best shot 'n' the biggest heart in the unit. Y'know how I know that?"

She lifted her head. "How?" she whispered.

"He'd aim for the hands," Craig said, holding his own hands out. "Shoot the gun out of their hands. Make it so they couldn't hurt us, and then take 'em prisoner."

Bob stared out vacantly. "We got a lot of POW's that way," he said dully. "Lot of good information from 'em, too. Probably saved a lot of lives."

Miss Piggy bit her lip and nodded.

Craig set his chin in his hands. "He'd still hate it when he had to shoot, though," he said. "I don't think I'll ever forget his face, when he saw..."

"What happened next?" Miss Piggy whispered.

He looked at her. "Ma'am-"

"What, happened, next," she said.

Craig sighed and looked at his boots.

The utter lack of gunshots echoed in their ears.

Kermit set his gun down on the dusty floor. He could only stare.

A few feet away, Craig was shaking.

Bob's breath came hard and harsh through his clenched teeth.

Kermit tore his eyes away from the boy. "We gotta get out of here," he muttered. He grabbed the bandage he had dropped and wrapped it around Bob's wounded abdomen, hoping to stop the bleeding.

"Frog," Bob wheezed through clenched teeth. He lifted Kermit's helmet. "Put. The helmet. On."

Kermit looked at his wounded friend, and the way his eyes were squeezed almost shut.

He took the helmet and slammed it onto his head.

"Let's get out of here," he said. "Craig, help me carry him. You take his head, I'll take his feet."

Craig didn't budge.

Kermit reached over, grabbed him by the arm, and shook him. "Craig! Come on! Rivers!" Craig seemed to respond, so he let go. "Help me carry Bob."

"Sir, your shoulder!" Craig said.

"Never mind it," Kermit grumbled. He scooped up Bob's knees. "Are you gonna help?"

Craig scrambled around and scooped his arms under Bob's armpits. "Yes sir," he said.

Kermit nodded in the right direction, and they ran back the way they had come. At least they knew it was safe that way.

"We were separated when we got back to our side," Bob said, rubbing his forehead. "Kermit wasn't as hurt as I was, and Craig just had a couple scratches."

"But we heard he was okay... physically, anyway," Craig said. "And we heard he got sent home."

Bob smoothed one hand with the other. "Semper Fi doesn't end with a discharge, though," he said softly. He looked at Miss Piggy. "We had to see him first thing, y'know? He's one of ours. One of yours, too, sure. But he's one of ours."

"We don't abandon one of ours," Craig agreed.

Miss Piggy nodded. "I know that," she whispered. "We know." She jerked her head towards the house. "We stick together, too."

"That's good," Bob said. "He needs that now."

Craig was quiet.

Bob glanced at him. "We should get going," he said. He stood up. "We'll probably be back, though."

"We appreciate it," Miss Piggy said, standing, and Craig stood too.

Bob shook her hand firmly. "Take care of our frog for us," he said.

"I will," she said. "We all will. He's our frog, too."

Bob released her hand, and Craig took it. "Ma'am," he said simply.

She looked him in the eyes. "Craig?" she asked quietly. "Why were you sent home?"

His face grew firm. "Emotionally unfit for battle," he said. "Ma'am."

She nodded and firmly shook his hand.

"Ma'am?" he whispered. "Thank you- for needing to know what happened."

"Thank you for telling me," she whispered.

He nodded, dropped her hand, and they began to walk away.

The two Marines stopped when the older one put his hand on the younger's arm, and pointed up.

They affectionately gazed at the flag for a moment.

They stood at attention, gave it a smart salute, and marched on, perfectly in step.