A Little Optimism & Keynesian Economics

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
Hey all!

I'd just like to say something. It appears, and forgive me if I am in error here, that there are members here who have seemingly lost faith in the Company, as well as Disney and all the many plausible partnership opportunities that there have been in existence. I can understand being a little shaken and stirred with all that has transpired for the JHC in the past few years, but - dealing with items such as the Oz feature, the debated Disney/Viacom merger, and various threads in-between, I somehow feel that we are not giving the Company enough of our figurative support. I don't mean that we don't support them (Look at MuppetFest for a helping of our devotion...), but it is as if we criticize at times when we need something to grasp on to. I bring up the Muppet Wizard of Oz feature: I personally have my own reservations about the feature, but I would not go all out and bash the release even before it comes to fruition. Again, I know a lot of you are scared that this move will be catastrophic on the part of the Company in some shape or form, but people - let the material stand once it is out in the open. Sorry for soapboxing (I'll hand it over to Buck in a minute - sorry for borrowing without permission...), but I just feel that we shouldn't crucify a release without letting it run its course. Sorry if I appear flustered over this, but I've been reading various threads for a few weeks on these things, and several of these nuggets have popped into my brain and refuse to leave.

If we are worried about the Company and its financial aspects, and we need some sort of condolence, we can look to Keynesian economics and look to the future through that. The JHC will find a way to return to the spotlight that it once basked in so warmly. I am confident in that. In a sense, I don't look at a year with an absence from the Muppets in ill-regard, but I look to it as a sign that something better will come along. Finance through merchandising, publication, television movies, and other avenues. Borrow at certain intervals, if need be. Either way, with the ingenuity the JHC has - coupled with the gusto of the Muppet brand and the globally-noticeable likenesses falling under the umbrella - they should be fiscally back on their feet in no time. And I for one praise anything they do to better the world through puppetry, which is their goal and mission. Jim's philosophy was that life operated in 7-year increments, and I think that up to now, going on fourteen years since Jim has passed on, this has been a time of rethinking and retooling...1990-1997 represented a time to keep the Muppets afloat after the shock that was his death, 1997-2004 spoke to me as a period where the central focus was on revamping image and direction, with a few decent affairs along the way (MFS and VMMX). I am fully optimistic that, given a little time, and leeway - and not berating work before work is shown - the Jim Henson Company will be fully back on its collective feet.

As one green frog had sole hopes of making people happy, so we should avoid negative discourse about things whose mission we seem to be - in a sense - missing. I'll step off the box now.

>Adam
Who would invest if he could

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I agree and disagree with some of it.

Firstly, I'm completely against any merger of any kind with Disney unless Eisner is out of there and some other guy/gal is in a few years to see how he/she does. Disney has only been making fairly bad movies, remakes, and sequel after sequel after sequel...oh, and a few prequels.

I don't mind Viacom, but only as a distributing partner. I don't know anything that Viacom actually produced--at least not this morning on a Nyquil hangover.

I fully support JHC, and I think that if they produce the right movies/tv entertainment, they can find that they can stand on their own feet (ultimately). Unfortunately, right now they NEED someone to lean on.

I'm surprised Dreamworks isn't jumping into the mix, or trying to; not that I'm saying that they're the best route.

As far as Oz goes, I'm not against them doing it--I just hope they do it the right way. At least, I should do my disclaimer here and say that I wish we could get Muppet Movies rather than Muppet Parody Movies. Of course, I'll watch the movie and (likely) enjoy the heck out of it.

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I agree and disagree with some of it.

I'm completely against any merger of any kind with Disney unless Eisner is out of there and some other guy/gal is in a few years to see how he/she does. Disney has only been making fairly bad movies, remakes, and sequel after sequel after sequel...oh, and a few prequels.
You know, strange as it sounds, I think a set-span merge with Disney would go down well for Henson...notice I said SET-SPAN. Now, before the rest of the board (LOL) bites my head off for praising Eisner, I'm not exactly praising Eisner in approving of the Disney merger. Here's my thought:

As of now, the JHC needs to focus a lot - as it is - on media sales and Muppety paraphernalia of every kind...an exhaustive brand push, if you will. Some might say it will critically flood the market. Tell that to the major fad-producing companies (Wizards of the Coast - Pokémon; POGS; Swatch; Saban - Power Rangers, etc) - they mis-stepped in one area: decisive scheduling. They basically didn't know when to pull out to let the market resettle. Too much product too early. Granted, the fads still go on (tho POGS are questionable - LOL), but they are at a diminished capacity. Solution: looking at the contractual merchandising potential that Disney would bring to the table, I would take them up on the offer and then pass off the merch division (for a set-period) and see if the inflow of funds generated from said merch would cause an end to the slide that seems to be happening. Once, the merch has regenerated enough gauged appeal, pull out temporarily, and pause on the issue and that is the keyword: WAIT. Do what many companies do not. Go Disney for a BRIEF period (nothing large to start)...partial-merger. Merch has helped many companies recover, and knowing how kids love disney merch, this shouldn't hurt - plus, the Disney marketing budget isn't too shabby either. My two cents.

>Adam