A Monday's Production - Murder Over My Muppets

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Hey gang!

First, I'm really sorry for the lateness in this, especially when I had the first part completed for the last three weeks. It wasn't until today that inspiration actually came to me again so I could finish this. So, for my lateness, I present this a day early.

In case you need a recap - our froggy gumshoe met with the researchers for Vane Industries, with Kermit getting a secret meeting with Beaker Von Tropp. Beaker gives him the scoop on the argument between Piggy and her father, as well as his thoughts on what exactly happened to Horace Vane. But as soon as Kermit leaves, Von Tropp finds himself dead.

Kermit doesn't escape harm either, being nearly hit by a speeding car before they turned around and tried to shoot him.

VII.

Piggy Vane may have been a lot of things, but petty wasn’t one of them.

Well…for the most part.

It had been two days since her dinner with the handsome Kermit Hollywood and two days since he had stormed off after learning that she happened to frequent an illegal gambling outfit, the same one that saw Count Gonzolo and his henchmen on a weekly basis. It wasn’t that she was keeping that from him, she just didn’t see how it was related to the death of her father, that’s all!

True be told, Piggy had found herself thinking about the frog ever since she had walked into his office. She didn’t know what it was, whether it was him or her, but she couldn’t deny that there was something about him that just pulled her to him. Maybe it was because he was nice enough to indulge her about her father’s death or perhaps it was because he had, so far, been so kind to her; even after she had essentially followed one of the suspect’s henchmen, he hadn’t scolded her for doing so.

Until Rowlf had to open his big trap about knowing her.

In hindsight, she could understand the tie-in and certainly what Rowlf had told them was something – that Gonzolo and the boys hadn’t been in the week her father died. That was something, wasn’t it?

In that time, she had thought Hollywood would’ve called, let her know what might be happening, but there was nothing of the sort. Perhaps he really was steamed at her; and that was why she headed down to his office to speak with him. In person. Piggy knew when she had been in the wrong and in many cases, she could admit that she had been tough on someone.

That’s when a heartfelt apology was warranted and in all of the years she had to apologize to someone, no one was more deserving than the detective working her case.

To her knowledge, Kermit had been working diligently on her case and probably wasn’t even in his office, but she hoped he was and that he wasn’t just trying to ignore her. The outer door was unlocked and just like when she had first entered the office, the secretary was no where to be found. Piggy decided to continue on towards Hollywood’s office door, hearing the sounds of someone inside and hoping that it was indeed Kermit.

She knocked once before turning the knob, and poking her head inside the door. She tried not to blow out a breath of relief in seeing the slender form of the frog detective, his back turned as he seemed to be looking for something in a nearby cabinet drawer. “Kermit,” she sighed, walking in and closing the door behind her. “I’m so glad you’re in today, I…what happened to you?”

At hearing his name, the frog turned, revealing the scrapes and bruises he had gotten the night before. While his face was remarkably unmarred, he couldn’t say the same for his left arm, which had scraped up and a bit bruised, not to mention that he had felt stiff to him that morning; his right arm had only come out with a few scrapes, luckily, however it really didn’t do him any good seeing as he was normally left handed.

Seeing one of the major problems with this case, Kermit sneered at her, asking, “Surprised to see me?”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Would it also surprise you if Rowlf were to walk in right now?”

“Frog, if I wanted insults this early in the morning, I’d head to a butcher shop,” she huffed. Well, he was obviously still mad after all. “Now are you going to tell me what happened or not?”

“Last night,” he began, still searching around the office for something. “I was nearly runned down and shot.”

“Oh my!” she exclaimed, walking towards him, only to have him duck out of her way. “Are you alright?”

“I’m alive, aren’t I?” he quipped. “Or were you not expecting to see me?”

“What is with you?” she asked, finally putting her hands on her hips. She watched as he apparently found what he was looking for – a bag in order to put some ice in it for his arm – before he took a place on the desk. “I’m barely in the door for five minutes and you’re accusing me of trying to kill you! What kind of racket are you playing with? Why would I want…oh give me that!”

She had been watching him struggle with having an ice pack on one arm while trying to apply a band-aid with the other and failing miserably at it. Taking the adhesive from him, she careful began to tend to some of the scrapes he had gotten. They stayed like that, him holding the ice bag, while she cleaned and disinfected his wounds; he was trying to build up the same steam he held earlier, but was failing at it.

How was he supposed to yell at someone who was trying to heal him?

“Sorry,” he mumbled. “Almost being killed makes me a bit jumpy.”

“You got some nerve, Hollywood,” she said, quietly. “I came to you to find out answers and you turn on me faster than a dime. What gives?”

“We found your handkerchief in the safe.”

“What?”

Sighing, Kermit replied, “When Hess and I were looking through your father’s study, we found his hidden safe. His will wasn’t there, but your monogramed handkerchief was. That and your knowledge about Rowlf’s little outfit, well…”

“So you put two and two together and got five, is that it?” she asked, incredulously.

The detective did have the grace to blush. Admittedly, that wasn’t much to really go on, in terms of evidence. “Something like that,” he whispered. “This simple little murder case is anything but, from my point of view.”

“Did it ever occur to you that of course some of my things would be there?” she asked. “He was my father after all and certainly you could imagine that someone might have planted it there.”

“I thought about that.”

“Really.”

“Hey,” Kermit protested. “From my angle, you make a pretty good suspect yourself. The only daughter, the obvious heir apparent, your stuff is found in a hidden safe that should be holding a will, and then there’s that argument you had with him…”

“Now I get it,” she huffed, pulling away from him. “You hear some second rate gossip and you immediately assume the worst. No wonder you get paid the bucks.”

“Lay off,” he said. “What am I supposed to think?”

“That it was a simple argument,” she insisted. “And arguments are not necessarily a case for murder. Yes, we argued and yes…it was a pretty bad one.”

“What about?”

Piggy sighed, turning away from him in embarrassment. “Be square with me,” he whispered. “You know I don’t wanna think what I do, but you gotta help me out, Piggy.”

“Will this make you happy?” she asked. “Will this set your mind at ease? Will you believe that I didn’t kill my father if I tell you?”

“You gotta tell me first, angel.”

“It was about that little place off 404,” she whispered. “Father thought I was spending a little too much time there, especially when the Count and his little hellions turned around and ratted me out. He thought it was a place I shouldn’t be seen at and the fact that the Count happened to go there, well…see, it’s perfectly fine for his business partner to spend all of his money there, but not me, you know?

“I’m convinced he had Andrew tailing me over there, making sure I wasn’t getting into too much trouble. It really is a nice place – you go, get a drink, place your bets, and win a little dough.”

“What happens when you don’t make the dough?”

“I told you,” she repeated. “Rowlfie runs a nice place, you hardly ever saw trouble over there.” Piggy finished with his arm, before a look of confusion crossed her face. “Kermit,” she began. “What did you mean earlier? About my being surprised if Rowlf walked through the door?”

This time, it was Kermit was sighed. “This is gonna be rough to hear, angel,” he started. “But Rowlf’s dead, shot and killed in the alleyway behind that joint of his.” Piggy seemed to sag into herself; despite the circumstances, Rowlf had been a friend who had always watched out for her when she had been in the place, keeping tabs on both Rizzo, Pepe, and even Gonzolo in the case they should bother her.

“I’m so sorry, Piggy,” Kermit whispered. “I honestly think he was killed because he wanted to tell me something. Why else would he tell us that Gonzolo’s boys hadn’t been in?”

“What happened?”

“I headed out to that joint of his,” he continued. “Got word that La Rue was there, but by the time I started looking for him, he scrammed outta there and left me holding the dog, as it were.”

“Do you think Pepe killed him?”

“I dunno,” Kermit said, shaking his head. “But in order to find the truth I gotta find him.” The detective was silent for a bit, not only thinking about the shrimp that got away, but also about the pig that stood next to him.

He hadn’t meant to be so accusing; she had startled him, bursting into the office like that, especially after the night he had. He had spent the rest of the night, painfully tossing and turning in his bed, thinking over what he knew or rather, what he didn’t know. None of the clues were making much sense and the vague pieces he got didn’t seem to be fitting together the way he thought they would or even should.

Talking to her now – learning the true nature of the argument she had with her father, as well as learning that Rowlf was dead – put her back into the limelight that his heart had placed upon her. It was stupid! He was a cop, a gumshoe and she, a socialite with a rich, dead daddy; they had nothing in common except for this case and when it was over, he was pretty sure he wouldn’t even see her again.

And thinking that, the frog grew even quieter.

What was wrong with him? He had worked other cases with dames before, why was this one so special all of a sudden?

“Thanks, sweetheart,” he whispered, turning to look at her. All that bravado she seemed to have stored up within her had more than likely drained once she had heard about Rowlf. He could see the slight wetness around her eyes, an heroic and failed attempt to try and hide the tears she wanted to shed.

“For telling me what happened. Means a lot.”

Piggy looked away hurriedly, but not before Kermit caught a glance at the blush that had risen on her cheeks. “Careful, Frog,” she retorted. “People might mistake your sentiment for caring.”

The gumshoe couldn’t help but smirk. So that was her game, huh? “I make a hard and fast rule, Miss Vane,” he said. “Never date a client.”

Piggy fully took a seat on the desk, crossing one smooth, creamy leg over the other, raising a slim eyebrow at Kermit as she did. “Really?” she asked, coyly. “That’s too bad.”

Gulping, the detective did his best to move his eyes from her legs to her face, muttering, “Tell me about it.” Turning, he quickly made his way towards a water dispenser and taking a cup. “What did you come over for?” he asked, finishing his drink before taking another.

“Oh!” Piggy replied, turning slightly to look at him. “Well, I figured you were a bit, well…cross with me, which is completely understandable!” she quickly amended, once Kermit turned to glare at her. “You were right; I should’ve told you about my knowing Rowlf and the kind of place he ran, but I honestly didn’t think it was an important detail.

“But that’s why you’re the detective and I, the mere client.”

“Oh really?” he asked, walking towards her. Casually leaning on the desk next to her, Kermit appeared to all the world as though he was the coolest cucumber ever; in reality, he was doing his best to ignore the enticing aroma that was her perfume, as well as the closeness that his arrival now presented.

“Seems to me like you’re gunning to be a partner there, slick,” he continued. “What with you following around suspected criminals and all. You sure you’re not undercover?”

Giggling, the heiress turned a flirtatious look on her host. “Maybe you need a partner, Kermit,” she replied. “Someone to keep you out of trouble on long nights.”

Not one to make an outward show of just how much he was being affected by her womanly ways or that he even cared that she was effecting him just so, Kermit smirked, stating, “I do believe the pig cares.”

“I don’t care,” Piggy huffed. “Just getting used to you, is all.”

“Well don’t get too comfortable,” he retorted. “Cause this frog doesn’t pick up hitchhikers.”

Whether it was what he said or the way he said it, Kermit didn’t know, but whatever it was he did, caused his client to grab him by the tie and pulling him in dangerous closeness to her.

“You don’t tell me what to do,” she growled. Both were shocked however at the seductiveness the command had, the complete opposite of the menacing tone Piggy was hoping to put across.

“I’d be a fool to even try.”

“I’ve known bigger fools than you before.”

“It’s not the knowing of the fool, it’s how you fool them into knowing they’re fools…that…sounded much better when I was thinking it…”

Leaning in closer, she whispered, “No Mrs. Hollywood, you said?”

“Right,” he gulped, but none the less, he leaned in towards her anyways. “At least, not yet.”

If the thought of kissing Piggy Vane had ever been on the mind of one Kermit Hollywood, it would need to stay on his mind, as the jingling of the telephone created even more of a spark from the couple than they had felt during their time together. Clearing his throat repeatedly, while simultaneously shaking off the nervousness and building tension from the room, he quickly removed himself from Piggy’s presence and grabbed the receiver on the fourth ring.

“Hollywood,” he barked, grimacing when he heard the surprised response from Fozzie on the other end. “Sorry, buddy,” he said, listening to what his friend had to say. “What? When? Yeah…yeah, Fozzie, we’ll be right there. Thanks!”

“What is it?”

“That was Fozzie,” he replied, grabbing his jacket and coat. “Looks like last night was a busy night; someone just snuffed Von Tropp.”

[hr]

Arriving back at the last place he had seen a very alive Beaker Von Tropp, Kermit wasn’t surprised to see the amount of cops that were already inside and surrounding the business building. He managed to get both himself and Piggy into the lobby, thanks to his friendship with several officers, in order to see the very scene of the crime.

The duo was quickly spotted by Fozzie, who rushed over to them. “So glad you got here, Kermit,” he sputtered.

“What happened here?” asked Piggy.

“That Count guy - ” here, the bear officer nodded to the blue business weirdo who was currently speaking to Det. Marlowe on the side. “ – found him when he came in this morning. We’re still trying to figure out what happened, but it looks like he was strangled. Must’ve gotten on with the wrong kinda guy.”

“That’s impossible,” the frog muttered. “He was alone last night. He was the only one in the building.”

“How do you know that?” the heiress asked.

“Because I was the last person to see him alive.”

Hollywood broke from the group, leaving Fozzie and Piggy stunned at his revelation, and headed towards Marlowe and Gonzolo. “And that’s when you found him?” Marlowe was asking, taking notes in a small notebook.

“Yes sir,” Gonzolo nodded. “I have an office on the third floor and as my custom, I usually take the elevator to go up. You can imagine my shock when I discover a dead body. Ah, perhaps we should hand the case over to our friendly gumshoe here. He seems to be collecting murder cases by the bundle.”

“The bodies do keep piling up, don’t they?” Kermit asked. Turning to address Marlowe, he said, “Let me take a crack at him. The Count and I have some unfinished business to discuss.”

“Do we?” Gonzolo asked, chuckling slightly. Looking over the frog’s shoulder, the chuckle turned to a sneer upon seeing the company that Kermit was keeping. “I suppose we do. How can I help the great detective Hollywood?”

“This have anything to do with the case you’re working on?” Marlowe asked.

“It might.”

Marlowe was a tall man, hovering at about six feet, with short dark hair and piercing eyes. He had known Kermit for quite some time and that was probably the only reason he would even consider walking away and leaving the detective with the person who found the body. Marlowe had joined the force at the same time Hollywood had, but while the frog found his calling in being a hired private eye, Marlowe enjoyed the fast pace that being a police detective afforded.

Giving the frog a look before focusing on Gonzolo, the detective nodded, handing the Count a card. “In case you don’t find me when you finish,” he replied. “Give me a call should anything crop up.” Turning to Kermit, he whispered, “Make it quick. You know what’ll happen should Capt. Hot Dog find out about this.”

Kermit nodded, only sparing a side glance as Marlowe left them.

“Speaking of murders,” Gonzolo piped up. “How’s the one you’re working on?”

“It would go a lot smoother if I could find your boy La Rue.”

“Pepe?” the Count asked, shrugging. “I have no idea where he is. I haven’t seen him for a few days.”

“Really?”

“Really.”

“Then I guess you wouldn’t know where he went after he left that gambling joint.”

“What gambling joint?”

From the smug look on his face, Hollywood knew Gonzolo was just toying with him, purposely avoiding the questions being aimed at him. This was the perfect chance to ask some of the questions he needed answered, however if what Marlowe said was true, he would only have a small window in which to do so.

And that window was effectively closing, especially when Piggy made her way over.

“Pretty convenient of you to find the body,” she began, glaring at her father’s business partner and ignoring the glare she was receiving from Kermit.

“Ah, Piggy,” the weirdo said, smiling sarcastically at her. “Just when I think my day can’t get any brighter, there you are sticking your snout into matters that don’t concern you.”

The low growl was the first sign that trouble was about to brew, but leave it to these two to completely forget where they were. “I’d like to remind both of you that we’re on the site of a homicide and surrounded by the police,” Hollywood whispered, sternly. “Put the gloves away until you’re sure you won’t be arrested or worse.” Convinced he at least had Piggy calmed, for the moment, the frog once again turned his attention back to the Count.

“I’d like to know where you were last night.”

Pointing to himself, Gonzolo asked, “Me? Why, I was at the supper club having a business dinner. And before you ask, gumshoe, I happen to have three very reliable people that can vouch for me.” Chuckling, the Count looked between the frog and the pig. “Don’t think I don’t know what this is,” he replied. “The damsel in distress has pinpointed me as suspect number one with a bullet and you, as her green knight in shining armor, are going to pin anything you can on me.

“Just remember what I told you, Frog, the devil’s in the details with this one.”

“How dare you.”

“I’d like to know where you were last night, Sugar.”

“She was with me,” Kermit interrupted, stunning both heiress and count.

“How convenient,” the Count muttered. “And I suppose that was all night then, too.”

“Yeah, that’s right,” the detective agreed. “And then we had breakfast, so I guess you could say she was with me all morning too.”

“I see,” Gonzolo grinned. “And just when, if ever, will you be telling the police this important information?”

“Just as soon as you tell me where La Rue is.”

“And I tell you, I don’t know,” Gonzolo countered. “Just cause I know the guy doesn’t mean I keep tabs on him. And as for the ‘supposed’ murder of Horace, maybe you aren’t looking in the right direction.” It was just the thing Piggy needed when both males looked to her, though Kermit was a bit more discreet.

“And just why would I kill Beaker?” Piggy huffed.

“Isn’t that why you hired him?”

“I guess it would suprirse you if I told you Beaker was alive and well last night,” Kermit reported.

“Yes, I guess that would surprise me,” Gonzolo nodded. “Such a busy little bee you are; surprised you actually manage to solve anything.”

“Oh, I’ll solve this alright,” Kermit sneered. “And if I get even a whiff of a scent that you’re involved…”

“You’ll what?”

“Take you down faster than you spend your money,” Piggy finished.

“Cute.”

Seeing as they were getting no where arguing and accusing one another, Kermit decided to play the same hand he had when speaking to Piggy that morning. “Must’ve thrown you for a loop to see me walk in here, none the worse for wear,” he stated.

“How’s that?”

“Was almost killed last night.”

“Oh that was you?” The Count asked, nonchalantly. “Sorry I missed you.”

“I’m not the one who’s going to be sorry at the end of this.”

“I’m sure,” the Count replied, smirking at them both. “Now if you’ll excuse me, Nick and Nora, I do have a business to run.”

With that being the final word on the matter, Gonzolo headed towards the stairway in order to head up to his office, leaving the frog, the pig, the body, and the police in his wake.

“Why did you mention all that stuff?”

“What?”

“About you meeting Beaker and nearly getting killed?”

“Worked on you, didn’t it?”

“What?”

Turning to her, Kermit explained. “When I threw all that at you, you came back with the reasons of why you couldn’t have been involved. Gonzolo never did that.”

“You think he knows something?”

“Don’t you?” he countered. “I think he knows exactly where Pepe is and he’s not telling us. Just like I think he knows the reason Beaker was killed; both of them know something that we don’t. Beaker’s already got his one way ticket and dollars to donuts, I’m betting that Pepe is gonna get his soon.”

“So what do we do?”

“I’m gonna find out what the guys think this is,” Kermit replied. “Then I’m gonna start putting the word out that I’m looking for a lothario shrimp. You…” Looking at her, the frog was easily swept away by the eagerness to please and by those pools of baby blues that were her eyes.

“I need you to find out everything about Gonzolo and who he runs with,” he said at last. “And be careful. The last guy I saw ended up being surrounded by police tape; I’d rather not see the same thing happen to you.”

“Why Kermie,” she cooed. “You do care.”

[hr]

For someone who was little two foot nothing, Pepe La Rue knew how to get some big attention. Like now, for instance.

Since the other night, Pepe had been trying to keep a low profile as he was able, fleeing to his little apartment that no one really knew he had. Being a bodyguard of sorts to a wealthy businessman held allure, especially to a small King Prawn from Guadalajara and he took to living an extravagant lifestyle the way he should be living. The Count had introduced him to money, parties, and women – oh, the women! – and Pepe wouldn’t do anything to mess that up.

But mess it up he did and he wasn’t even sure how.

Several nights before had been pleasant to a fault – he did some errands for the Count before heading to the Kit Kat Club in order to see the fine Janice sing. He certainly hadn’t counted on seeing Miss Piggy Vane there and he certainly wasn’t opposed to having her sit at her table, but he was opposed to the nosy green frog that accompanied her. The Count had of course told them about the murder and if things went there way, they’d be coming into a lot of money because of it.

Pepe knew his rights and he knew nobody had anything on him. His next stop was that of what they all called the 404, because of its location off Highway 404; it was a real rocking place that, even more when the musicians at the Kit Kat Club owned and ran it. Pepe, Rizzo, the boy lawyer Hess, Piggy, and the Count were all frequent visitors to the place and everyone pretty much knew who they were. And maybe that was the problem.

The shrimp – King Prawn, h’okay? – had been enjoying one of the tables when someone passed him a note. The only reason he even looked at it was because it was covering his drink and the pretty waitress girl had smiled at him, asking him to make sure he read it. For a pretty woman, he would do anything! So he read it and it seemed as though all emotion and all feeling left his tiny little body.

He had high tailed it out of there, hopeful in the fact that Rowlf, the main dog in charge, hadn’t seen him.

So Pepe was held up in his apartment, too afraid to venture out. Even the ringing of the phone scared him, causing him to jump up and scream. Picking up the receiver, he shouted, “Why jou do that, huh? Scaring the pants on me?”

“Shut up,” came the gruff voice of Rizzo. “Where’ve you been? The boss wants to see us later.”

“Jou tells him I’m sick, h’okay?”

“Oh, so you heard huh?”

“Heard what?”

“About Beaker,” Rizzo confirmed. “He’s dead.”

“Who?”

“You know, the carrot top.”

“He’s dead?” Pepe asked. “No, I has not heard that. When dis happen?”

“Sometime last night or something,” the rat continued. “That’s why the boss wants to see us, wants to make sure we gots our stories straight.”

“Mira,” Pepe huffed. “I no kill the carrot top, h’okay? I don’t even knows him, why I kill him, huh?”

“Man, did I say you did?” the rat countered. “What is with you?”

“Mira, I was at the 404 last night, h’okay? And someone slips me a note that says el perro knows, entende?”

“Knows what?”

“No se, I heads out before I know, h’okay?”

“Idiot,” Rizzo reprimanded. “You don’t even know what the note was about and you panicked. See, this is why we don’t do stuff together anymore. You’re a liability.”

“Jou’s are a…a…what it was jou said!”

“Moron,” the rat muttered. “Be here at seven o’clock. And don’t be late!”

The sound of a click and a dial tone all happened before Pepe could get off an appropriate response, instead hanging up the phone himself, while muttering about demanding rats and the annoying reasons why they should never use big words people don’t understand. He still had a few hours left and though he was trying to keep low in the case the puppy dog had ratted them out to the police, Pepe was not a docile being. He craved lights, the city, and the women and he couldn’t get either while being cooped up in here.

An idea came to mind – he certainly didn’t want to draw attention to himself, but going to the corner nightclub couldn’t be bad, right? He was still in the area and close to home and certainly, nowhere near Rowlf or his gambling club. It was perfect!

Perfection is always in the eye of the beholder and while Pepe thought his plan brilliant, there were snags to come, especially when the little guy wasn’t even aware that he was being watched and watched closely by hidden eyes.

Misskermie

Reaction score
OH MY GONZO!!!

So, they've discovered Von Tropp's death.
And... And Gonzolo's playing stupid, I just KNOW!
And I wonder how that meeting with the boss will go...
Oh, and the tenderness between frog and pig...
interupted by Fozzie.
This will be the only time in history that I hate Fozzie.
Love him again.

More please!

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
OH MY GONZO!!!

So, they've discovered Von Tropp's death.
Well...Gonzo discovered it...

And... And Gonzolo's playing stupid, I just KNOW!
Oh, he is. He's definitely got stuff up his sleeves.

And I wonder how that meeting with the boss will go...
Um...

Oh, and the tenderness between frog and pig...
FYI - that's the scene where they went off the rails (obviously) during one of their many disagreements. It's mentioned in the...fifth (?) chapter of MPP.

interupted by Fozzie.
The bear can't help it.

This will be the only time in history that I hate Fozzie.
Aw. That's not right.
:embarrassed:

Love him again.

More please!
Oh good! He'll be happy to hear that :big_grin:

So up 'til I've managed to have everything set up, with the occasional added segment. And now...I got nuttin. Well, that is to say, I may have something, but for now, I got nuttin.

Oh wait! I just got something! Never mind....

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Hello children!

Hey Chef!

Nah, it's just me. And while I've been lax, guess what day it is? Yep, it's a Monday, so it's time for your Monday Feature! We're continuing our movie here and things start to heat up, figuratively and literally! So far, we've got three murders, one attempted murder, a missing hood, and suspects galore! We're rounding the corner of Suspects and Murderers, so let's see what the frog and pig have come up with so far, kay?

VIII.

Hours after leaving the scene of the crime, Kermit and Piggy came back together in his office, with the heiress stopping to pick up some lunch before she came by. “Well,” she replied, walking in with take out in one hand. “I’m not sure what you’re hoping we’ll accomplish…”

“It’s simple,” Hollywood replied, already seated behind the desk and leaning back in his chair. “We’ve got a ton of clues, a couple of dead bodies, and too many suspects to count.”

“Two,” she said, walking over and dropping the bag on the desk. “Technically you have two suspects, the Count and Pepe; unless of course I’m still on your hit list.”

“I can rule you out from Rowlf’s murder,” he replied, cheekily. “I can’t say the same for your father’s or Beaker’s, however it stands to reason you wouldn’t kill the others if they had something on you.”

“Careful, Hollywood,” she retorted. “That almost sounded like a compliment.” Taking the seat across the desk, she began to pull out food while asking, “So what exactly do you do when you get stumped on a case like this?”

“What else is there to do?” he asked. “Sometimes you just have to sit back and go over the evidence. This one’s got me baffled; every time I think I got a bead on a suspect, I get another one dumped in my lap. And then when I start getting a lead, my informants start dropping like flies.”

“Some would think you’re just a harbinger of bad things.”

“I’m starting to think that myself.”

“Gee, thanks.”

“Angel,” he responded. “You’re probably the only best thing this case has going for it.” Whether he was distracted with the delicious smells of food or his mind was on this case, Kermit nonetheless missed the telltale blush that rose on Piggy’s cheeks.

“Let’s look at what we have so far,” he continued. “One, your father’s murder definitely isn’t anything but. Two, someone – probably the murderer – is or was embezzling money from the company. Three, your father discovers the embezzlement, so he changes his will…”

“Which is now missing.”

“Right,” Kermit agreed. “Which more than likely means that the murderer was going to be named in his will. Five, both Rowlf and Beaker requested to see me in order to tell me something, but…”

“Both were found out and got killed for it,” Piggy added. “So what was it that they wanted to tell you?”

“Well,” Kermit surmised. “Beaker already told me what he knew, which was that he had overheard the argument between you and your father and also heard him calling his lawyer about changing the will.”

“Rowlfie knew something, but was killed before telling you.”

“Exactly,” the detective nodded. “Which brings us to point number six…”

“Did Pepe La Rue kill Rowlf?”

“And if he did, was he acting on orders from the Count or from someone else?”

“Point seven,” the heiress replied. “Someone is obviously trying to frame me.”

“Or frame the Count.” Piggy gave him a look, causing Hollywood to retract or at least explain his reasonings. “Now hold on, angel, hear me out.”

“This I have to hear.”

“Well now, think about it,” Kermit began. “And forget the fact that the two of you are in some sort of power struggle. If someone’s trying to frame you, dollars to donuts someone thinks it’ll work on Gonzolo too.”

“You think someone’s trying to frame him!?”

“It’s possible,” Kermit said. “Do I think he’s being framed? Probably not, but I can’t dismiss the possibility. Of course he’d be the prime suspect, what with his gambling habits; however the question remains on whether or not he had his boy bump off the pooch.”

“Well, I have some rather disturbing news,” she announced. “I did indeed check to find out where our least favorite weirdo was the night Beaker was killed and he was definitely with some upstanding folks at dinner.”

“I suspected it this morning,” Kermit murmured. “And it’s one of the reasons I can’t believe you're involved either.”

“What?”

“Neither one of you were surprised to see me,” he continued. “If the Count had wanted Beaker dead and me along with him, he would’ve been surprised to see me this morning. Just like you would've been if you were involved. Now whether or not the driver thought or saw that he hadn’t exactly tried to kill me, I don’t know, but if he thought he had and he was working for you or the Count, you would’ve been surprised to see me, too.”

“You forget, Kermit, I was surprised to see you,” she said, leaning towards him. “I was surprised you had gotten as beat up as you did. I’m sorry, Kermie; if I had known this case was going to be such a difficult road…”

“This isn’t exactly your fault…”

“Of course it is!” she exclaimed. “If I had never come to you in the first place…”

“You’d never know the truth about what happened to your father,” the detective concluded. “And when bodies start piling up, you know you’re getting closer to the answers. And you’re one to talk; I’ve done a lot of cases, but you’re the first dame who’s ever wanted to be a part of all the action.”

Smiling ever so coyly, Piggy replied, “You’ll find, Mr. Hollywood, that I’m not the type of girl to be left on the sidelines.”

“I’ve noticed.”

Another moment passed between them, but this time Kermit didn’t shy away from it; the frog had not only noticed that Piggy wasn’t one to sit on the sidelines, she definitely wasn’t the type of girl to sit around and wait for someone to make a move on her either. He knew he couldn’t possibly get involved while still working on this case, but afterwards…maybe…

The ringing of the phone once again managed to put a damper on any thoughts the two had of each other and Kermit picked up almost reluctantly. “Yeah?”

“Mr. Hollywood?” asked a voice. “Are you alright? I heard what happened.”

“Hess,” Kermit sighed. “Yeah, I’m alright. Need anything?”

“I was looking for Piggy actually,” the lawyer replied. “But I’m glad to hear you’re okay. Incidentally, I did some checking around. I can let Piggy know, in case she sees you again.”

“Thanks,” Hollywood said. “Hang on a sec - ” Holding out the receiver to his guess, he replied, “It’s your boy.”

Piggy took the receiver and issued a friendly greeting to her lawyer friend. Kermit listened in with half an ear, while he finished his food. “Sorry darling,” she replied, hanging up the phone. “But duty calls.”

“Business before pleasure?”

Running a few fingers from her hand down her cheek, she replied, “Sometimes business is pleasure. Sadly, it is a little matter that Andrew needs me to take care of. You understand.”

“Of course,” he nodded. “Even the most beautiful of us have business. You want me to save some of this?”

“You’d be a doll if you could drop it by later.”

“Miss Vane, I believe you’re getting fresh with me.”

“Oh Mr. Hollywood,” she chuckled, walking towards the door. “And here I thought you didn’t notice.”

[hr]

It was late evening when Kermit decided to call it a night and head over to Piggy’s to drop off her portion of food. As much as he tried to nationalize that he was just going in order to drop off food and that he had certainly been to a client’s home before, he knew this was something completely different.

He was attracted to her, there he admitted it.

Piggy was an attractive woman and she certainly seemed to be the kind of girl who wouldn’t be happy with his detecting unless she was equally involved; they didn’t make dames like that, especially high society ones. That had to be the reason he was so convinced that she wasn’t involved in her father’s murder and why he had basically lied to the Count on her whereabouts.

And you know – he wasn’t at all troubled by that fact either. He meant what he said earlier; it stood to reason that all of these murders were related to the death of her father. If she had murdered her father, then it stood to reason that she would have had to have killed Rowlf and Beaker and while it was possible, the fact that she had been so upset at learning about Rowlf meant she couldn’t have. She was the sole beneficiary to his will, that was almost certain, so why would she need to embezzle company funds?

As much as he considered her to be on a frame up, he deeply hoped it wouldn’t come back to haunt him later.

So occupied with his own thoughts and cleaning up the office, he didn’t hear the door open and shut until he turned and was face to face with four guns. Okay, technically the guns were pointed at his chest and kneecaps, but they were guns and they were definitely pointed at him. “Don’t you know it’s unfair to bring four guns to an unarmed fight?”

“Word on the street is jou is looking for me.”

“I was looking for you a few days ago,” Kermit said. “Where’ve you been?”

“Around, h’okay?” Pepe replied. “Mira, I hears jou is looking for me and that you think I kills the Beakie man.”

“Word on the street is wrong then,” the detective said. “I haven’t been looking for you about Beaker, I’ve been looking for you about the murder of Rowlf.”

“El perro?” the king prawn asked. “From the 404? He is dead?”

“As if you didn’t know,” Hollywood spat. “You were there and you high tailed it out of there after you killed him!”

“No!” Pepe exclaimed. “No, no, he sent me a note and then I leave!”

“What?”

“Mira, mira,” the shrimp panted. “I knows nothing about el perro, h’okay? I get a note about him knowing and I leave. Was having bad night, so good thing I left.”

“Who sent you a note?” asked the detective. “And what was it that he knew?”

“Mira,” Pepe stated. “I was playing the tables, h’okay? And I gets this note with my drink from a muy bonita senorita, si? I reads it and it says the puppy knows, h’okay? So then I gets worried and I leave.”

“What exactly…” Kermit began, but then nodded to the prawn and his weaponry. “You mind?” Pepe slowly lowered his arms, but kept watch as the frog went to retrieve a glass of water. “What exactly was it that Rowlf knew?”

“No se,” the prawn shrugged. “Only that he knew something. So I left. But mira, I comes to you cause I has another problem, h’okay?”

“Which is?”

“I thinks I is being followed,” the shrimp whispered. “I don’t know who, but I was trying to lay low, si, but I’ve been feeling as though someone is watching me.”

“It could be the same person that slipped you that note.”

“Jou think?” the shrimp asked, his face scrunching up in thought. “That was a weird night; seeing the cutie piglet…”

“Watch it.”

“And then jou,” he continued. “Interrupted our sexy talk and had to bring up unpleasantness. And then I has bad hands all night and then that note…”

“Alright, I get it,” Kermit sighed. “Answer me this – why would someone want to follow you? Especially if, as you claim, you had nothing to do with Rowlf’s death.”

“How do I know?” Pepe cried. “I can not helps that I is popular, h’okay? Maybe…maybe these people knows what the dog knows, huh? Maybe that.”

“You haven’t told me what it was the dog knew.”

“You no listen the first time?” asked the prawn. “I already say ‘no se’; I do not know what the puppy knew.”

“How many times would you say you and the crew of Count Gonzolo were in that place?”

“Many times, all of us.”

“Who’s all?”

“Hey…” the shrimp began, raising up one the guns he still held. “What is this, huh? You try to shake me down again, huh?”

“If you want to know who’s following you,” Kermit said. “And more importantly, if you want my help in finding that person, you’ll tell me who in your crew usually goes does to that joint.”

That seemed to calm the prawn down, but only slightly. He may have looked stupid, but he was actually smarter than the average bear. Usually. “Reezo and I,” he started. “And the Count will come too sometimes and that pig, she’s there too. There’s the bear, big bear man…oh and the little melon man, the one who hangs out with the carrot top.”

“Drs. Melon and Von Tropp were regulars there?” Kermit asked, in surprise.

“Si, si,” Pepe nodded. “Though only the carrot top would play the tables, h’okay? And speaking which, I didn’t kill him either! I only saw him at the joint and when he was over to speak to the Count.” Pepe stopped for a moment, his face registering a confused, but thoughtful look. “Mira…” he started. “Jou know, last week, I was in the office and the Count had a meeting with the smart people…”

“Melon and Von Tropp.”

“Si,” Pepe nodded. “I came early cause, jou know, it’s good to be early, but I must have come real earlys, cause he finished with the smart people, but I know I heard him speak to someone else.”

“In the room?”

“No se; maybe on the phone. They were talking about Vane and…dios mio! The puppy dog must’ve found out about that!”

Now they were getting somewhere. “Found out about what?”

“Mira!” the prawn exclaimed, excitedly, pacing and waving his arms around haphazardly. “That’s why el perro was killed! He must’ve found out. Wait! What is the name of that guy?”

Kermit, who had wisely started to duck for every swing the shrimp made, quickly asked, “What guy? And could you not swing around so excitedly? I don’t mind, but my furniture came from a very classy store and…”

“That guy,” the shrimp replied. “He’s probably after the Count. Mira, jou has to help us! He’ll probably kill the Count.”

“What guy!?”

“The…”

A shot rang out, causing both Kermit and Pepe to hit the floor in a panic. “Great,” the detective murmured. “I let the little nuisance in and he shoots up my office.” Peeping up from the floor between his desk and his chair, Kermit looked around before he saw the form of Pepe. “Good job, you little pest,” he complained, standing and angrily walking over to him. “I did tell you to watch where you were waving and now…now…you’re not moving.”

Kermit quickly dropped down to confirm his suspicions and they were right on – Pepe had managed to shoot himself dead. He couldn’t help but sigh, in both disappointment and anger; right as he was on the verge of finding out more information, his best lead gets killed and by his own hand. Worse, when he called the cops over, Capt. Pain in his side would be all over him for being at the scene of another murder.

The detective didn’t want to disturb evidence, but he kept getting a nagging thought in his head. He definitely heard a shot, but it hadn’t sounded as though it was in the room. On closer inspection, Kermit checked out the guns, looking for the signs that any of them had been fired and none of them had. That meant only one thing.

The shot hadn’t come from inside, but from out and if the killer was smart, he was miles away by now.

Shooting up from the floor, Kermit quickly reached for the phone, considered his options, and then started dialing. As he had hoped, the person he needed to speak to was already home. “Hello?”

“Piggy? Piggy, are you alright?”

“Of course I am,” she answered, perplexed. “Why would you…?”

“Listen to me,” he interrupted. “I found Pepe, only he’s dead now, just like the others. I have a feeling we’ve been played for saps in all this and I think it’s time we get to the bottom of it.”

“What’s the action then?”

“Can you meet at Gonzolo’s? No, wait, never mind; I’ll just come get you. I’ll feel better if you’re with me anyway. We’re going over to the Count’s and we’re gonna confront him about this.”

“You think he’d kill his own man?”

“He would if he had found out Pepe had been spying on him.”

“What?”

“I’ll explain it in the car. Be ready in fifteen, I’m on my way.”

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably the best written chapter so far, keep it coming please.

:batty: But where's 4? She seems to not like the number 4, ewen her 4-Ball fic has been put on hold.
Maybe she knows the number 4 is unlucky in Japanese culture and is just skirting around it until finishing with Wedding Day Blues?
:rolleyes: I likes to be around her skirt okay.
Go chase after that waitress instead, you'll have worse luck.
:rolleyes: Okay, I knows when hi is not wanted.
Which is why he got turned into a cold shrimp platter.
:rolleyes:, from out the room, I is a king prawn okay!

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Probably the best written chapter so far, keep it coming please.
Aw, tanks! I paid 'special attention this time!

:batty: But where's 4? She seems to not like the number 4, ewen her 4-Ball fic has been put on hold.

Maybe she knows the number 4 is unlucky in Japanese culture and is just skirting around it until finishing with Wedding Day Blues?
Um...did...did I miss number four in the listing of stuff? I'm...I'm sure I put it there. I mean, I even read it out loud.

Or is that a subtle hint that you'd like me to start 4 Ball?

See, I would love to start 4 Ball, but the idea that you guys liked I actually hadn't planned on; I was actually sure you guys would choose the HIMYM plot line. I have ideas that haven't really formed fully, hence why you're getting Wedding Day Blues first and not 4 Ball. :embarrassed:

:rolleyes: I likes to be around her skirt okay.

Go chase after that waitress instead, you'll have worse luck.
Oy, scram shrimp scampi! Piggy!

:mad:

:rolleyes: Okay, I knows when hi is not wanted.
Which is why he got turned into a cold shrimp platter.
:rolleyes:, from out the room, I is a king prawn okay!
He did indeed. Pepe is the last murder victim...or is he?

:confused: My dear Gina, it seems like the game is truly afoot!

Right you are, Bunsen!

:confused: What are earth do you plan next?

Well...Kermit and Piggy are bust down the doors to Gonzolo's and find out what he knows.

Answers will be revealed and - remember that surprise twist only Scooter knew about until the last day of filming? - a huge surprise not only awaits those involved, but you the reader, and our Muppet audience!

Will we learn who killed the shrimp?

:rolleyes: King Prawn, h'okay?

Who was behind the murder of Beaker Von Tropp?

:eek: Meep!

Who killed Rowlf at the 404?

:sympathy: I'm certainly dog gone

Is the Count really involved?

:concern: That's between me and the canon I'm being shot out of

Will we finally learn who killed Horace Vane?

:wink: Who do you think did it?

:mad: Will the pig and frog ever get together?

:smile: Piggy...

Oh come on, you guys are fated. Name me one time you never got together. Go on, I'll wait.

:embarrassed: Well, there's that time on...

Not now, Fozzie.

:embarrassed: Sorry.

Okay, I see what you mean and I think I know why I skipped four - it was address by Piggy. Number four was the fact that the will was missing and that most likely the murderer was probably in the will, hence why s/he stole it.

Misskermie

Reaction score
Wow, the mystery gets deeper!
I'm curious.
However, curiousity has killed one too many cats in this case...
(Aye, Pepe' La King Prawn is down, ho'kay! :frown:)
And Piggy...
I have this feeling she's about to reveal something incredibly important.
Just a hunch.
Hope this crazy thing gets solved soon!
More please Gina!

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
It's Thursday and I shouldn't even have anything for you, but I do. I was on such a roll with the last chapter, I decided to just end it on all this. So ladies and gents, here is the last chapter of Murder Over My Muppets before the epilogue.

This chapter will end the movie proper, with the epilogue going back to Monday's Post Production. Enjoy!

IX.

It took only about ten minutes for Kermit to drive over to Piggy’s high scale apartment and while he had hoped to get a tour, there wasn’t time; he didn’t even bother to get out of the car like a normal gentleman would. It didn’t matter, as Piggy was walking outside just as he pulled up to the curb.

Getting in, Piggy was barely able to close the door before Kermit was taking off towards the Count’s estate. “You really have evidence that the Count is the murderer?” she asked.

“Not so much evidence as a gut feeling,” Kermit muttered. “Pepe all but confirmed it for me. He overheard the Count discussing your father with someone and he was convinced Rowlf had known something; that’s why he was killed.”

“But what?” Piggy asked. “And what exactly was the Count discussing? And with whom?”

“I don’t know,” the detective replied. “I can almost guarantee you the Count was discussing how he was embezzling money from the company. The who and the what, he’s going to tell us.”

Kermit tried to keep within the speed limit, but his anticipation and anxiousness was causing him to press down on the gas pedal as though his life depended on it. And in some cases, it did; if he didn’t stop Gonzolo now, who knew what kind of plans he had? Already four were dead and if Kermit was right, he and Piggy would be next if they weren’t careful.

Pulling up into the driveway of Gonzolo’s estate, the dynamic duo got out of the car and headed towards the front door. Knocking did nothing but leave them in an eerie silence that seemed to stretch longer than it should.

“Maybe he’s not home?” Piggy ventured.

“The lights are on,” Kermit noted, seeing lights blaring through the windows on the first floor. “Unless he’s stuck on the phone or something…”

“Kermit…”

Turning at the sound of his name, the detective was surprised upon seeing the door partially opened. “It’s not locked,” Piggy said, taking a few hesitant steps across the threshold. Hollywood quickly followed and noticed that the front hall was lit, but no one seemed to be home.

Removing his hat and coat, Kermit’s eyes roved around the layout, expecting to see the eagle butler he had met on his first visit. “You’d think someone would send out the welcome wagon,” he murmured, folding his items and placing them on the nearby table stand before helping Piggy out of her coat.

“This is odd,” she agreed. “Of all the times I’ve been here, I’ve never known Sam to not answer the door.”

“Maybe he’s got the night off?”

The heiress scoffed. “It’s Sam,” she huffed. “He wouldn’t know a day off if you threw him on a beach and surrounded him with girls and music.”

“That’s…pretty square.”

The two began to walk cautiously through the front entrance towards the living area, which was also bright with lights and completely devoid of any movement, even a mouse’s. Turning to his right, Kermit noticed that the light was on in Gonzolo’s study, with the door slightly cracked. Piggy had noticed it too and as one, they both turned and began to walk towards the room, until Kermit stopped them.

“What?”

The frog’s police instincts had kicked in before they had even entered the home; house lights on, but no butler to greet them, a home appearing to be alive but with no movement from anything or anyone. Something wasn’t right.

“Something’s not right,” he whispered.

“You think we were expected?”

“I think the Count was expecting someone alright,” he said, the strangest of feelings coming over him. “But I don’t think he wasn’t expecting the outcome.”

Piggy quickly turned to Kermit, surprised etched on her face. He couldn’t possibly be thinking…!?

It was only the fall of a shadow over him that prevented her from saying what she thought and before either of them could utter another word, both their worlds went dark.

The End

Misskermie

Reaction score
YOU.
YOU ARE JOKING!
That's the end?
It's so... But what happened.
Gina, this is an april fool's joke, isn't it!?
I still liked it but...
But...
But...
WHAT HAPPENED!!!??
OMG.
Gina.
I really wanna say more please.
:stick_out_tongue: