A Muppet Family Christmas DVD - USA vs. UK vs. FR

Oliver

Reaction score
Hey gang!

I have a bunch of questions regarding the various other-region releases of "A Muppet Family Christmas" on DVD which I'm hoping some of you may be able to answer...

To start, I'm looking at the following releases:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

REGION 2: FRENCH RELEASE
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00007F7ZJ.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

REGION 2: UK RELEASE
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0000C24UZ.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

REGION 1: USA RELEASE
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005OSJR.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of all of the above regional releases of the film, which edition offers the most complete version of the original television special; In other words, which has the fewest cuts?

Also, can anyone compare the video transfer quality for me on all 3 of the above mentioned releases? Which one offers the highest picture quality and are there any releases in specific which present poor transfers?

Also, can anyone tell me whether the R2 UK release is featured as a box-set or simply a double-feature, and whether "A Christmas Toy" is presented on a seperate disc or if both features are layed out on either a dual layered double-sided disc or simply spread out together on the same dvd?

Lastly, can anyone compare the supplemental features offered on all 3 releases? Do they all contain the same extras and if not - can someone please elaborate on what's featured and what's missing from each version... are there any bonus features exclusive to one release and are there English language tracks available on all 3 for both the feature and supplementals?

It would be extremely helpful to me and I would really appreciate a thorough response on the comparisons for all of the above releases - again, I'd be extremely grateful for any help offered...

Thanks so much!!!

~ Oliver.

:smile:

anathema

Reaction score
The UK version is the least cut. It still has cuts, but you won't find anything better unless you can get a copy of the original broadcast from someone. The French copy has the worst transfer - it's just a NTSC to PAL conversion of the US disc and it's been done incredibly badly. The UK release is also a conversion, of course, but since it's Columbia I imagine it's been done reasonably well. However, there's no such thing as a "good" conversion - the US original will always give you the best picture.

dbarrie

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for helping us distinguish between these 3 releases of the Christmas special. Do you own a region-free player? I'm beginning to consider purchasing one myself, thereby replacing the Region 1 player I have at home. There are other UK-only discs I'd like to be able to play, including this one.

OI MuppetFan

P.S. I was in Scotland earlier this summer visiting my relatives in Aberdeenshire. I also made a stop in Edinburgh; I've been there several times, and it's one of my faves!

anathema

Reaction score
Yeah, I have a multi-region player. If you're buying one in the US, however, make sure you get a good one. UK players all support both PAL and NTSC format discs natively. US ones do not - they have to perform a conversion internally. The more you spend, the better the conversion :smile:

If you want a completely uncut copy of MFC, btw, drop me a line in the New Year ;-)

Oliver

Reaction score
Thanks Anathena, I also have a multi-region unit which is why I was inquiring.

Last question though, do you know what was featured as extras for each regional release, other than 'The Christmas Toy' obviously?

anathema

Reaction score
Oliver said:
Thanks Anathena, I also have a multi-region unit which is why I was inquiring.

Last question though, do you know what was featured as extras for each regional release, other than 'The Christmas Toy' obviously?
No, sorry.