A Muppet Family Christmas R2

Mr Humbug

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the R2 edition of this title is unedited? I'll probably be picking it up anyway but it would be nice to know if I'm getting it unedited.

This will be the first time I have seen this special in about 14 years. Considering the fact that I am only just approching 18 this makes the show one of my earliest TV memories. The only images I recollect are Big Bird standing by a tree, a talking snowman and fraggles coming out of the skirting board. Do these moments actually exist or have I just invented them in my own mind? :smile:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I think you're right. I definately remember the talking snowman. I've been trying to find a copy of this on DVD to give to my mom for Christmas, but so far I haven't had much luck. *sigh*

ASailorsGal

Reaction score
Muppet Family Christmas

Yep, that's the show - Fozzie tries to mold a talking snowman into his new stand-up partner. It's a GREAT flick, in which most of the Muppets make an appearance from different shows: "The Muppet Show", "Sesame Street" and "Fraggle Rock".

I searched eBay (www.ebay.com) and there are at least 25 copies of the DVD being sold, as well as a copy of the 2-disc set that has both "Muppet Family Christmas" and "Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas". Hope you both find what you're looking for!

Heather

anathema

Reaction score
Mr Humbug said:
Does anybody know if the R2 edition of this title is unedited? I'll probably be picking it up anyway but it would be nice to know if I'm getting it unedited.
It's cut, although nowhere near as badly as the US release.

Basically, there are three versions of this special. The original, which hasn't been seen since its 1987 airing, runs to around 48 minutes and includes five breaks for commercials. This was re-edited a year or so later, at which point the commercial breaks were removed (this also resulted in the "A Muppet Family Christmas" title caption being moved to the start of the show - originally it didn't appear until after "We Need A Little Christmas") along with a few seconds showing Fozzie lighting the Christmas tree just before the Carol Medley, and a short scene of Fozzie and Ma Bear discussing his stocking. This is the version most commonly seen today, and is the one on all UK VHS/DVD releases; it runs to around 47 minutes. Further edits were made to this some time in the 1990s, as it wasn't possible to clear some of the songs for home video release in certain territories. This version runs to around 42 minutes, omits "Sleigh Ride", "Home for the Holidays", almost the entire Muppet Babies sequence and a couple of songs from the Medley, and is the version available on VHS/DVD in the US and France.

Mr Humbug

Reaction score
You can pick up the R2 release from Amazon.co.uk although you have to use marketplace sellers. Thanks for the info anathema it will soon be ordered :big_grin:

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
OMG! That DVD is the least edited AND has The Christmas Toy?!?!

I'll just have to get it now, and figure out how to get my hands on a region free DVD player later... :wink:

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Now... im just gonna ask this! :smirk: did Disney get the Muppet Family Christmas rights for DVD/video release? :confused:

NJMom

Reaction score
Uncut on a US compatible media?

I'm dying to get my hands on the original uncut (or at least lightly cut) version of this special for my husband & our daughter. I've already discovered the only US DVD version available via retail is the chopped up re-release but I'd be willing to settle for a homemade vhs version (commercials & all) provided it's of decent quality. I've searched all over the net and haven't found anything. I'd love it if someone could let me know where I could find a copy. The R2 won't do me any good, as I don't have a player to accommodate it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

anathema

Reaction score
NJMom said:
I'm dying to get my hands on the original uncut (or at least lightly cut) version of this special for my husband & our daughter. I've already discovered the only US DVD version available via retail is the chopped up re-release but I'd be willing to settle for a homemade vhs version (commercials & all) provided it's of decent quality. I've searched all over the net and haven't found anything. I'd love it if someone could let me know where I could find a copy. The R2 won't do me any good, as I don't have a player to accommodate it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Drop me an email...