A puppet without a mouth

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
mkelley said:
I thought the whole idea of using this rubber was to get flexibility -- if I were to use the thicker piece it wouldn't be all that different from using foamcore board (it *does* bend but not to the degree that Kermit's mouth does, for an example). You seem to favor very heavy thick pieces -- have you tried thinner and, if so, what exactly are the downsides to that?
I actually use pretty much whatever works. I don't have a particular preference for thick or thin material for a puppet mouth. What I use really just depends on the puppet. There really aren't any hard and fast rules, but generally I try to strike a balance between flexibility and strength. I like a mouth to be flexible and expressive, but I also like to be able to close it properly (if you use material that is too soft then a puppet's mouth will sometimes warp when it closes). I don't generally use foamcore or corroplast or any other "hard" materials for mouths unless they are relatively large (say, half the size of a dinner plate).

Just remember that I can only speak for my own personal experiences. This is what works for me (so far) but there are probably people out there with ideas that are better and/or more suited to their individual needs.

Good luck!

mkelley

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, Buck.

The next head I make (this week) I'll use the gasket stuff and see for myself. I'm thinking now (based on your answer) I might try a thick piece for the bottom and a thinner one on top: it might give me the best of all worlds, since the bottom should be a nice base for the mouth to totally close on, and yet the top will allow for more flexibility in expression. If nothing more, it will be an interesting experiment.

Ah, so little time, so many puppet-making choices!