A question for Xeurus about Telly and Mr. Hooper

Xerus

Reaction score
Dantecat said:
What year was that skit Xerus?
Sorry, I don't remember the year. Maybe in the early 80s?

hooperdusty

Reaction score
Telly appears in episode #1575, when it's a very hot day on Sesame Street and everybody is in Mr. Hooper's store where it's air conditioned. At one point, Telly groans and Mr. Hooper asks,"What's the matter, Telly?" Hooper didn't say or do much in this episode except say that line and yell "Quiet!" when Oscar started making loud noises. I wonder if Mr. Lee was having problems at this point, for in this, and the season opener of 1981-82, his role is very small.

Ironically, in the season opener for 1982 (#1706), he looks unwell but talks alot. He also does not one but two songs on a current record album SESAME STREET SING ALONG (a verse in "Join Into the Game" and a duet with Ernie on "Take Me Out to the Ball Game"). Perhaps he knew his death was coming and wanted to do as much as he could before he wasn't able to...

HooperDusty

mikebennidict

Reaction score
what do you mean Lee was having problems at this point? i mean i get what you're saying after all it wouldn't of been for very long that he would pass on but just because he din't say much means anything. i'm sure that was just how the script was written.

Censored

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
what do you mean Lee was having problems at this point? i mean i get what you're saying after all it wouldn't of been for very long that he would pass on but just because he din't say much means anything. i'm sure that was just how the script was written.

No, I noticed the same thing. Mr. Hooper did very little in that episode and did not seem to have the energy that he did in the past. It is very possible that Will Lee's declining health was limiting his performance.