A Robotic Heart

Kiki

Reaction score
Digit's background sounds so familiar ... like mine, actually ... WHY OH WHY COULDN'T I HAVE BEEN TURNED INTO A ROBOT? At least that'd be COOL! Argh!
Mm! Agreed! The whole bit about not being invited to major parties and getting-along-with-teachers-sometimes-more-than-students thing sounds a bit like me. :embarrassed: Oh- that and I love photography. But I suck at science. D=
Anyway, this is good stuff! Keep it up! :excited:

Xerus

Reaction score
It's neat reading about Digit's past life. I can't wait to read what happens next. :smile:

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
I'm still typing up the second chapter, forcryinoutloud! I promise that the second chapter will be up soon, honest!
<Chuckles> Welcome to the world of the nagged. We would have t-shirts, but Animal ate 'em.

Consider the picture well-painted. I'm curious as to why Digit remembers so little of his childhood... I'm guessing the name change had something to do with becoming a robot? Got me all intrigued again... and, pleased to see that he got so much encouragement from his mom and teachers.

Alright, you've set the scene... So now lights, camera, action! Right? MORE PLEASE!

AnimatedC9000

Reaction score
Warning: The following chapter, while important to the story, contains a very startling event that may or may not frighten you. Get ready to hug your teddies and hide behind the furniture, laidies and gents (and misc. animals and creatures), because this chapter will be... explosive.

AnimatedC9000

Reaction score
Chapter 3

The day started out like any other normal day. I went to school, took my classes, ate lunch, and studied. However, I had planned to stay after school for a major science experiment and to develop some photos in the lab.

It was quite normal for me to stay after school to work on some days. My mom always knew that I was either at the school when I wasn’t at home (or if I didn’t tell her that I was going to a different place beforehand, which was rare) and even the students expected it from me. To be honest, I didn’t know I was that predictable…

Anyway, on that particular day, I was walking the halls towards the science classroom with Mr. Hucklebee, the science teacher.

“Thank you so much for letting me use the lab for my experiment, Mr. Hucklebee,u201D I thanked him.

“It’s no trouble at all, Michael,u201D he replied, handing me the keys to the science lab. “Just make sure to lock up after you’re through.”

“Oh, I will, sir.” I didn’t know how to thank him enough. That science teacher was one of the nicest guys that I’ve ever known.

After he left, I immediately rushed to the photo lab to check up on the photos and to develop some negatives. Being the head photographer for the yearbook staff, I also had a key to the journalism room and the photography lab.

I took my time developing the negatives. After all, I had plenty of time later to do my experiment. Besides, it was the weekend anyway.

As I strolled back to the science lab, I thought about my life so far. I was going to be graduating from high school next month, the valedictorian of the class. As part of the tradition of the top-honor students, I had a speech written up for the graduation ceremony that I put much time and effort in.

I unlocked the door to the lab and set my things on top of and around a vacant desk. I unfolded the experiment plans and left then open on the table as I went over to the cabinet to fetch the beakers and the other supplies.

While all of this was going on, I was going over the speech in my head. “Fellow graduates, this is a day of rejoicing.”

After setting up the beakers, I carefully brought over the chemicals needed for the experiment. “Today is the day that we leave the life we once knew and go out into the realm of the unknown to polish out skills.”

I hadn’t realized it until later, but I accidentally brought over a very fatal chemical over to the experiment table instead of one of the ones that was needed... “Who knows the great dangers that we might face for the rest of our lives? Nobody knows for sure...”

With all the materials gathered, I officially began the experiment. “... but with our education, our generation will surely rise up to meet any challenge.”

Chemical after chemical, the reactions unfolded out before me. “We must learn to chart our own course in life. The road will be challenging, but for with hard work comes great results...”

After time had past, I had gathered most of the information that I needed and the experiment looked to be a success. “...whether they be small...”

I then reached for the beaker containing the fatal chemical, myamila gerisolite. “... or colossal in size.”

Carefully, I poured a small amount of it in a tube and watched, notebook in hand, ready to record the results. “Because we have the keys to our own futures...”

A single drop was about to enter the compound. "... it would be very frightening if that life was misused in the wrong way.”

It’s amazing how a simple mistake can change a person’s whole life.

An explosion rang out through the almost vacant halls of the high school. Inside the science lab, glass was shattering and the place was filling up with dangerous smoke. The force of the blast caused me to fly backwards into a cabinet.

My head crashed into a shelf and I immediately blacked out, not knowing that this fatal experiment was the ending of the life I once knew and the beginning of a very different one.

RedPiggy

Reaction score

Dang.

This is why, in nursing, certain medications need to be checked off by 2 nurses. Not that getting insulin wrong will make someone blow up ... but since it's deadly nonetheless, it's always good to have a partner double-check you.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... A little bad luck was called for. After all, we are experiencing the year's second of three Friday the 13th's today. Though it was countered by the luck of having an update posted tonight... Maybe we could have another Cait? Please? :crazy:

Fluffets

Reaction score
My head crashed into a shelf and I immediately blacked out, not knowing that this fatal experiment was the ending of the life I once knew and the beginning of a very different one.
Aww, poor digit :cry:.

AnimatedC9000

Reaction score
Dear fanfic readers,

The fourth chapter should be up very soon. Unfortunately, it's most likely not going to be up until tomorrow. You see, I'm at my aunt's ouse right now, and I'm writing the story on my laptop but only her own computer has Internet access. They aslo do not have a Flash drive, wich means that right now I have no way to upload the chapter (even if it WAS finished tonight). We're planning on going to Wal-Mart tomorrow to try to find a Flash drive for me so that you all can read the latest chapter. Until then, you're stuck with the three chapters up so far.

See you all tomorrow!

~ Caitlyn "AnimatedC9000"