A Sound of Change

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I wonder if you could help me out. I know I posted this on my Facebook page a while back, but since that was so long ago, and since not all of you are on my friends list there, I thought I'd post it here. A friend of mine started a petition to try and make websites more accessible to the blind and visually impaired, by using audio CAPTCHAs. If you don't know what they are, they're the human varification images that are a part of some sites' registration pages, including this one. If you could, I wonder if some or all of you could take a minute to look it over, and possibly sign it.

http://www.petitiononline.com/vip2428/petition.html
Thanks!
:smile:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I signed it. Anything to help ALL people use the internet is worth it. Judging from the comments, I take it flash programs can't be read? That's irritating. I'm in the process of authoring content for a program, and flash is what I understand is being used. I was gonna add audio, but if anyone else can come with some ideas, it'd be cool to let me know.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
HTM links are easier to negotiate than flash buttons. Screen-readers don't respond to flash as well. Thanks for the help; I knew I could count on you!

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I've just signed Kate. I hope they listen to us all.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
If you had MySpace instead of Facebook, I might have been aware of this. :wink: :stick_out_tongue:

But, I will most definitely sign this petition, I may not be blind, but I am rather impaired without my glasses, and as such, I do believe it would be beneficial to be able to create versions of websites accessible for the blind and visually impaired.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Yes, I forgot to mention, at least one non-visually impaired person did say to me that the audio CAPTCHAs did help them as well. But even if you don't need them, thanks for lending your support!

dwmckim

Reaction score
Happy to sign - many of these are major nuisances and difficult for those with perfect eyesight. I can't even imagine how frustrating they are for those who don't see as well!

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone! I was just saying to my friend last night, what better place to find caring, supportive friends than a bunch of muppet fans?