A tad odd....

Drtooth

Reaction score
Plus... sometimes bad peicrings lead to complications....

just thought I'd add that!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Drtooth said:
No ,matter if the cookies are shaped like the Muppets... they are NOT pushing sugar!
Muppet faces on items do promote use of the cookies. You can't state the Muppets should take moral resposiblitity on one case and not another. It's hypocrisy. My statement was not that the Muppets shouldn't be on cookies, it was that being on a navel ring isn't any worse. I think the Muppets should be marketed in many ways.

These dumba** lawsuits outlawing this stuff for people who want to indulge ... are pretty much gunking up the court systems for REAL problems.
Um...nobody is outlawing any foods. The case was always about labeling. Just as nutritional labeling became mandantory in the 90s, transfats should be listed on packaging so parents and consumers know what's in our food. There's nothing at all wrong with that. Many people take the modern labeling for granted, but it hasn't always been there. The suit was over misleading consumers to purchase these items for kids without noting the risks that they are aware of. In the end, we will see change and anything that gives consumers power over their choices is a good thing.

People are in charge of their own choices...But the piercings just creep me out. I mean, I could see Kermit buying a cookie shaped like himself, but he would NOT buy a toungue stud with his face on it... he'd probably faint at the sight of it...I can't be involved with producst the characters would be against themselves.
I couldn't agree with you more that people are in charge of their own choices. So let them make decisions without condemnation. My issue was about the moral grandstanding I've been hearing about this product and I was pointing out the hypocrisy in it. Nobody's saying that you have to go out and pierce yourself just like nobody has to go and eat a bunch of cookies because Kermit told them to. Henson is in charge of merchandising deals and I'm sure they took a close look at this one before going forward. I think it's a step in the right direction after the 90s kiddification of the classic Muppet characters.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Plus... sometimes bad peicrings lead to complications....
just thought I'd add that!
Diabetes (especially in children) is rampant these days and harms many more people than piercing. It's even a bigger problem than drug use in this country and this is a disease that has the potential to kill. If you are worried about the health issues involved in piercing, you should be worried about sugary foods even more. At least piercing places are required to cite the risks and instruct the consumer about cleaning and use of the product.

As I said before. I have no problems with either product. It's simply hypocritical to praise one over the other. Personally, I stay away from both. :smile:

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Oh... and I'd bet anyone would actually buy Muppet organically grown Celery instead.... :boo:

No ,matter if the cookies are shaped like the Muppets, Looney Toons, Peanuts, or Larry and Balki of Perfect strangers, they are NOT pushing sugar! If someone is pretty much incompetant and eats sugar and stuff withOUT knowing the dangers, and complaining about their health, they shouldn't eat that stuff period. These dumba** lawsuits outlawing this stuff for people who want to indulge now and again (or like me who just don't care) are pretty much gunking up the court systems for REAL problems like Drug dealers and crooks who cause more pain and suffering than a small cookie shaped like Kermit.
I couldnt agree with you more on this! There was this thing in the news here in Australia that has a bit of relevance to this, A woman got drunk at a pub or bar and she drove home and had an accident causing her to lose her arm I think, she is now taking the bar to court for letting her drink that amount of alcohol and then driving. It is her responsibility not the bar, they could only do so much to prevent this from happening, they cant monitor every customers drinks etc.

It is the womans fault for drinking too much! :crazy:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
So what does that have to do with Muppets being on a belly ring? My statement was not necessarily a condemnation on sugar-contained foods. It was about the hypocrisy and moral grandstanding of condemning one product when there are others that are potentially worse for consumers.

I think people are sue happy in this country and it is unfortunate. However, items should be properly labeled. Just as alcoholic beverages have to tell consumers they contain sulfites, cookies should be labeled to inform consumers about transfats. Information is a good thing. Cigarettes, alcohol and whatnot should all be legal. It's up to individuals to make that choice - just like they should be able to have a Muppet belly ring if they so choose.

The case you stated is just as silly as a current case in this country where a customer sued McDonnalds for getting fat. Too funny. :stick_out_tongue:

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I agree, everything should be labelled as to what it contains down to every last grain of sugar.

Here in Australia, I think that by law, all edible products and drinks etc have to be fully labelled with what they contain, its on the back or side of the product but atleast its there.

Dont they have that in the US?

They also have labels on the food products that mean they are endorsed by a foundation such as the heart foundation which means its a good choice if you need to watch what you eat with heart conditions etc. However, it isnt necsecarily true, companies pay large amounts of money to have the stickers on their products even if they are contain too much bad ingredients. Money can do anything sometimes!

:smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yes, we've had nutritional information since the 90s. I already mentioned that in my post. However, transfats are not listed. You'd have to be a mathematician to decipher the transfats in each product. That is - if you even have the presence of mind to know they are there. There are many things in foods that are left out. Consumer advocacy groups are pulling for such information to be included. :eek:

The Oreo case was filed to promote this idea. It was dropped after the issue gained sufficient publicity. That was always the intention. It appears to me that many people hear a sound bite on the news and go off on a tangent without really understanding the issue. In the end, Kraft Foods has decided to reformulate many of their foods to make them healthier. They are also changing portion size. In other words, they are covering their butts for the day when this legislation comes to pass. :zany:

That's my bit about sugar in products. Now people can go back to unfairly judging those who have tongue and belly rings. :smirk:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I need more sugar.

Okay, so this drunk guy had a belly ring, and he wasn't a skinny dude, either. So, he gets depressed and goes on this eating binge until suddenly his stomach rips right through his body and lands on the table in front of him, coming thru where the belly ring was.

So he's sitting there, right, with this big belly on the table in front of him and he knows it's his, but doesn't know what to do with it. So, he just stares at his belly and finally he bleeds to death and goes to heaven.

St. Paul is at the pearly gates and looks up the drunk guy's name in the Book of Life and says, "Nope, you can't go in. You were a glutton who over used alcohol and died as a result of your vices."

"But, it wasn't my fault," said the large dude with the belly ring. "I am a victim of circumstances."

"How so?" asked St. Paul.

"Well, the advertising on the tv made the food look so good that I had to have it," said the big guy, "and my parents were alcoholics so it was only normal for me to become one."

"Very well, I'll send all of them to heck instead. But, what about the belly ring?" asked St. Paul.

"Oh, that?" asked the Big guy. "Well, I had to hang my keys SOMEWHERE!"
I just made that up!! :embarrassed:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Kev, you crack me up. Did you really Just make that up? :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Yeah!! I did. It took like 2 minutes to make it up. Was it good? Really? It cracked you up??

:eek: :excited: