A thought about about full episode dvds.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Then I'd definitely like all the pivotal moments of the 1980s on DVD- Mr. Hooper's Death, Snuffy revealed, Gordon and Susan adopt Miles, Luis and Maria dating, Luis and Maria get married, and the birth of Gabi.
And the Star Wars episodes- can't believe I forgot that!:embarrassed::concern::batty:

Drtooth

Reaction score
if my screen name doesn't already give away my bias, i agree with those wanting street scene based dvds. and it actually fits with what sesame street is doing now: first they created elmo's world as a 15 minute programming block that they could use in world-wide tv markets that have such blocks. now that we have them too, they re-formatted the whole show to be like an hour block of mini-shows, and lumped street scenes together to be one of those blocks. why not do that with old street stories and release them on dvds three at a time like elmo's world dvds? or just sell them as itunes downloads.
Yeah... and full week long serialized episodes could easily be cut together into "movies," like Friends to the Rescue was. And just have a couple classic cuts as bonus features or something. There's so much that just doesn't fit on a player or as 2 minute clips in an anniversary special. Sure, they'd have to cut out a couple references here and there to other segments (for the sake of it having a smooth transition). And they may have to trim here and there, but it could still work.

StreetScenes

Reaction score
Although in the general market, I would have thought it's the inserts that people remember more and there would be less of a demand for just the street scenes on their own.
yes, because the inserts were played throughout our childhoods, and the street stories aired only a few times ever. but as you point out later, it's not that grownups want clips they remember, it's that they want as much good sesame street content as they can get to have their own children watch

but just because we don't remember the exact clips, doesn't mean we don't remember the characters. the human cast is barely present in the clips on the video player, and something very important is missing if they're not represented. for example, linda is in only 17 clips on the video player, six of which are how to sign a single word. mr. hooper is in even fewer. for every cast member, a few of their clips are acting silly with sped up video and raposo music, a few are full-cast songs, and a few are narrations of film. you don't really get a sense of who they are or how they interact with each other or with muppets. that's all in the street stories. so is an awful lot of muppet character development--big bird is so human, but you don't really get the complexity or believability of his character in a two minute clip like you do in a street story.

My thought (and I think I said this once in another thread) is that, although there are too many episodes to release whole seasons, they could collect large numbers of them. With the focus on education, I thought that having a 26-episode set with each episode featuring a letter of the day so the set makes up the full alphabet, that would be a great way of getting them together.
that would be awesome. i'm sure they could find enough street scenes to make mini movies to fit every new season's curriculum focus, too.

With the sheer amount of episodes made and with those of us who grew up with the Street wanting to use Sesame Street to teach our own children, it seems all sorts of wrong not to get those full episodes out there. They aren't doing anyone any good sitting in a vault somewhere.
i second that. just because they continue to do good new shows, doesn't mean the older stories don't still have huge potential to benefit new audiences, especially now that the workshop is expanding into new media.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It would be nice to have a DVD featuring many of the "Slimey goes to the moon" episodes, maybe with the "Worms in Space" segments as a bonus feature. Somehow I think there might be too many street scenes to edit together as a one-disc special. I was hoping that some of this footage would make it to the 40th anniversary DVD, and was a little disapointed that all we got was Tony Bennett's song. But then I saw the whole scene, and it was actually worthy, as it included a variety of clips from the storyline.

I wonder how well a DVD editing the episodes where Maria and Luis fall in love and get married, along with a second one focusing on Maria's prenacy, would go about. Obviously the covers would need to feature Maria and Luis, and with the exception of the 40th anniversary set, there have never been any Sesame Street video/ DVD covers featuring the human cast (though guest stars have often been pictured on covers).

I am thinking maybe there could be a two-disc set, with four full episodes from the first ten years, bonus street stories from those years, and bonus inserts. Each episode or street story could be from a different season (so that each of the first ten seasons would be represented with one episode each). Perhaps full episodes from seasons 3, 5, 7, and 10, and street stories from the others.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Another thought: Maybe Warner Bros. can have a collection of full episodes and call them the "Sesame Street Showcase Collection". And there can be a collection of single-disc releases called the "Sesame Street Spotlight Collection", featuring just inserts (or maybe inserts and street scenes but not full episodes), focusing on a certain character or subject. Of course those terms could be used for any kind of Sesame Street collections.