Abby: Witchcraft on SST?

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Abby's technically a fairy, so I honestly don't think of it quite as witchcraft, though I know it technically falls in with that same category in general. It's kinda like how somehow it's okay to watch "I Dream of Jeannie" because she's just a genie, but we can't watch "Bewitched" because she's a witch and we don't believe in witchcraft.
Well I know there are some Christians who see fairies as demonic. I can understand because I heard someone say once that in some old dictionary references the word fairy is said to mean a fallen angel, or in other words, a demon. And since fairies are depicted as having magic powers, it's only natural that demons are capable of using the very witchcraft powers they bestow upon people who make pacts with them.

In fact the very same claim is placed upon genies. Believe it or not. :eek:

However I think as a Christian that we can get too carried away over this. If we preach that demons are behind the inspiration of Abby Cadabby, I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Harry Potter etc we're only going to put people off us. They'll think we're a bunch of fruitcakes.:crazy:

I do believe that witchcraft is morally against the teachings of Christ, but there's nothing inherently evil about fantasy like fairy tales and good old Abby for goodness sake.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I do believe that witchcraft is morally against the teachings of Christ, but there's nothing inherently evil about fantasy like fairy tales and good old Abby for goodness sake.
That of course makes me wonder... they actually HAD witches on the show and I don't think they got any complaint, except for someone who was a witch in a religious sense... and that was over the episode with the woman who played the Wicked Witch of the West... right? I think any sane person, religious or otherwise KNOWS that these are clear and obvious fairy tale references. Kids get the references to witches and fairies from stories. To deny that these are the source of characters like Abby, and the 3 witches who made chicken soup is just rediculous. SS is VERY Fairy Tale oriented. baby Bear is a main character, after all.

Carrot sticks?

Carrot sticks?
At the risk of sounding like a teenage girl... I KNOW, right? I know the show has the tendency to water down a fairy tale that even Disney or Jay Ward wouldn't do... but that's absolutely the dumbest (Train noise drwons out cuss words) ...crap I've ever heard. SS could teach kids how to sacrifice a goat, and it's still less damaging than sitting kids down to those ugly bug children and their annoyingly cloyingly slow talking.

InvaderZim

Reaction score
Luckily the ACMA dismissed the complaint about Abby and witchcraft.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Luckily the ACMA dismissed the complaint about Abby and witchcraft.
I'm very relieved to hear that. Sesame Street doesn't deserve to suffer such scandal. It has done nothing wrong to children over the years it's been broadcast.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I'm confused. Did I say you had to? All I was saying was that it's silly to expect human rules for non-humans. The fact they're human makes our rules irrelevant. We don't tell our pets to pay taxes and get a job. They don't have the same issues we have and thus rules for us are irrelevant to them.
I'm sorry, I think I may have mis-read your original post. I was tired and grumpy, but I do understand the point you were trying to make.

HootsytheOwl

Reaction score
This is so annoying

Hello everybodeeee!:super:

I just read that article today, and I must say, it annoys me. As a mystic, I know there's a big difference between real magick, and pretend magic. I won't bash Christians because I have many friends and family that are, and they are people I love.

However, there seems to be a lack of research involved on the part of those who protest Abby or any other thing on Sesame Street/childrens' shows. If they really want to know about something, they should learn about it before they start to freak out about everything. It's just totally silly.

It's like someone having a fit because there's an ant crawling on the sidewalk, just because some ants can make people sick ( fire ants and bullet ants for example)...but they don't know the difference in the ants. All they know is ant=danger.

your dear friend
Kitt

Drtooth

Reaction score
However, there seems to be a lack of research involved on the part of those who protest Abby or any other thing on Sesame Street/childrens' shows. If they really want to know about something, they should learn about it before they start to freak out about everything. It's just totally silly.
Silly? That's how these groups work. They complain about the tiniest thing without research because they have some personal hang up, and they feel they can take something down. Yet, they only pretend to care about kids so they can further some agenda of some side. It's like one of those groups that wrote letters to Nick about Ren and Stimpy but they seem to be all thumbs when getting real filth like Maury Povitch off the air. But I won't go into that.

That said, I'm still flabbergasted this wasn't an American organization.

Mupp

Reaction score
Man. I can't believe that Abby was targeted like like. People have too much time on their hands.

She's as innocent as a piece of cake...But then again, cake has calories and fat! :eek:

ISNorden

Reaction score
I've already posted my reaction to the Crikey article on my fan blog--

http://sesamestreetblockparty.blogspot.com/2010/02/disenchanted-with-abby-cadabby.html

Although most of you have said similar things here, I agree with one point that was too strong to include in the blog post: parents who are that worried about their kids learning witchcraft from Sesame Street shouldn't have had kids in the first place. Raising someone to believe that lighthearted, kid-friendly fiction is going to teach real occultism...is going to warp that someone worse than any Muppet could.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
That's a very good response you made Inga. Well said. :smile:

And how are you Inga? It's been quite awhile since we've been in touch, hasn't it? :smile: