Abby: Witchcraft on SST?

JJandJanice

Reaction score
BTW: Let's say the 'group saying this' and not say 'the Christians saying this,' because that's too broad. I'm Christian and think the group saying this is ridiculous. It's not all Christans, but that group.

Oops, I was judgemental and called them ridiculous for calling a puppet evil. It's as bad as that time the one televangelist (ha ha) who called Yoda a demon because he has 3 fingers. That would mean Gonzo and Snoopy are evil.

I think what we run into is that folks talk without thinking.
Yeah I'll agree with that. It's easy to think that it's all Chtistians that are upset though, cause groups like this MAKE people think they're speaking on behalf of all the Christians. That's part of the problem, in my opinion.

Not to nitpick or anything, but Snoopy does have four fingers (well three fingers and a thumb, :smile:.

I still love Yoda and his demony fingers - no matter what. :flirt:
Me too Yoda is awesome. So is our other beloved three figure friends like Gonzo and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, :wink:.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Uh, I saw one clip of it, but aren't the only students fairies? Would a bird school not be expected to teach flying? I realize THESE parents probably aren't capable of defining reality for their kids, but it doesn't take too much effort to explain that Fairy School helps Fairies learn things not taught in Regular School, just as there are specialty schools in the real world.
Sorry. I'll again try to censor my posts more carefully.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, DC and Labyrinth was technically more for adults ... technically.

Anyway, yeah ... magic has ALWAYS been in the Hensonverse.
You're absolutely right! Remember what Gobo said in "Change of Address"?

"Everything is magic...if you see it that way."

Also, there's the magic of the performers, writers, puppet builders, etc. who put it all together.

But as for Abby, good grief. She (like the little ones watching) is just a kid, a fairy-in-training. I don't have any particular opinion about her, but she is definitely not a witch.

From what I've seen, Abby does what the rest of the Sesame Street gang does. She hangs out with her friends, sings songs, helps solve problems (or needs help with a problem) and is made for the target audience.

Yes, magic has been done before. I watched a lot of Mumford back in the day and I thought he was cool. The Count has also performed magic. he put a "whammy" on Ernie and Bert while dismantling their block pyramids. He also hypnotised Grover, making him bring hot dog after hot dog at Charlie's Restaurant.

If this goofball who wrote the article looked further, he could easily see magic performed on children's television where it has caused significant damage to the children watching. I speak of course, of Super Why and B...B... (shudder)...that bipedal, purple, saccharine monstrosity.

Magic has been performed on Super Why, a show that moves incredibly slow and talks waaaaaay down to kids.

As for that purple thing that begins with "B", there's magic performed there as well. The kids on that show conjure him up "from our imaginations". (These kids must be horrible witches and wizards! Why else would they unleash such a beast upon the world?) I'd take my chances with the summoned basilisk in Harry Potter any day.

What happens when a child is regularly exposed to the "magic" of that "B" thing and Super Why? Why this, of course.

Sesame Street is actually good for kids, magic included. Abby's as harmless as a piece of dandelion fluff.

Convincing John

Drtooth

Reaction score
BTW: Let's say the 'group saying this' and not say 'the Christians saying this,' because that's too broad. I'm Christian and think the group saying this is ridiculous. It's not all Christans, but that group.
That's why I always specify the fake groups that care more about fear and control and the money and power it brings than stuff that's actually written in those texts. I really think that it isn't just Christians, but a lot of the fart fundamentalist groups that manage to maim and warp those messages to their greedy desires. There are a LOT of good groups that actually believe in their religion, but apply it for the good of mankind, not spend all their money and resources pushing their misguided beliefs. Heck, there are church gorups that read Harry Potter... to enjoy it! it's just the bad ones are more vocal and more newsworthy.

If this goofball who wrote the article looked further, he could easily see magic performed on children's television where it has caused significant damage to the children watching. I speak of course, of Super Why and B...B... (shudder)...that bipedal, purple, saccharine monstrosity.

Magic has been performed on Super Why, a show that moves incredibly slow and talks waaaaaay down to kids.

As for that purple thing that begins with "B", there's magic performed there as well. The kids on that show conjure him up "from our imaginations". (These kids must be horrible witches and wizards! Why else would they unleash such a beast upon the world?) I'd take my chances with the summoned basilisk in Harry Potter any day.

What happens when a child is regularly exposed to the "magic" of that "B" thing and Super Why? Why this, of course.
GAW... finally! Someone that knows what I'm talking about. That's the show that waters down and destroys classic fairy tales to the point where they even get the evil witch from Hansel and Gretel to rebuild her house out of Carrot sticks. No kidding. Magic or not, I swear this kind of stuff is a buzzilliondy times as damaging to children than putting a 3 year old down to watch Dark Crystal AND the Abominable Dr. Phibes. Where are the watchdog groups there to say "This show destroys more brain cels than huffing glue"?

Back to the article...Anyone else kinda disturbed that these people apparently just discovered a vampirish character that has been around for at least 38 years?

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Abby's technically a fairy, so I honestly don't think of it quite as witchcraft, though I know it technically falls in with that same category in general. It's kinda like how somehow it's okay to watch "I Dream of Jeannie" because she's just a genie, but we can't watch "Bewitched" because she's a witch and we don't believe in witchcraft.
And speaking as a Christian, I don't really mind Mumford the Magician and Abby Cadabby on Sesame Street. As others have pointed out, there is a difference between fantasy imagination- magic and real-life magic.
(much like Mister Rogers' make believe- and he was always careful to point out that it's JUST make believe - and Mister Rogers was a Christian- a Presbyterian minister in fact.)
Also, I think in this article, it was a single person who had complained, not an entire group. Just because some groups out there use the name of Christ to promote various agendas and such doesn't mean they're always necessarily very Christ-like.
But this is true for religions in general and politics too, for that matter. It just irks me when people wind up getting a distorted view of Christianity particularly when a pseudo-Christian group doesn't truly act like Christ.:attitude:
Anyway- this particular deal here does not seem worth getting all worked up about.:rolleyes::smirk:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, Bewitched is basically just like Jeanie. In that universe, "witches and warlocks" weren't humans but immortal entities of their own right, living in another world/dimension. HUMANS are forbidden to do witchcraft in the bible, but I fail to see how one could argue the rule should apply to a species that engages in magic as a matter of natural ability.

Super Scooter said:
Sorry. I'll again try to censor my posts more carefully.
I'm confused. Did I say you had to? All I was saying was that it's silly to expect human rules for non-humans. The fact they're human makes our rules irrelevant. We don't tell our pets to pay taxes and get a job. They don't have the same issues we have and thus rules for us are irrelevant to them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still say we're talking about fairy tale magic here. These stories have been handed down generation to generation, since their inceptions. Abby is NO different than a Fairy Godmother or Glenda the Good Witch to me. People that confuse fantasy magic with whatever passes for witchcraft are exactly like people who confuse reality with fantasy on the whole. So basically thinking kids will dabble in the black arts when watching this or a Disney movie like Cinderella or something is akin to saying "GEE! Life is just like Grand Theft Auto! I can go around stealing cars and killing people with no repercussions." Only the opposite end of the scale.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I don't understand personal censorship based on belief sets except in very extreme cases. I watch Dexter, but don't endorse killing people no matter how terrible they are. I grew up with friends who couldn't watch the Smurfs due to the fantasy issue. Nightmare Before Christmas seen as occult-oriented to some folk. It's sad some people are deprived of such a treat! I just don't get it sometimes. :sympathy:

Convincing John

Reaction score
That's the show that waters down and destroys classic fairy tales to the point where they even get the evil witch from Hansel and Gretel to rebuild her house out of Carrot sticks. No kidding.
Carrot sticks?

Carrot sticks?

(Shakes head slowly in disbelief and disappointment)

And people were worried about Don Music causing people to bang their heads in frustration...

Convincing John