ABC-DEF-GHI in Japanese

BigBirdABCDEFGH

Reaction score
Hi,

I am just curious about how the song "ABC-DEF-GHI" would sound if a Japanese person were to sing it out:

ABC = ab-ka = abbuka
DEF = def = defu
GHI = gi = gii
JKL = Jekyll = Jekkiru
MNOP = ma-nop = manoppu
QR = kwer = kuaa
STUV = styoov = suchuubu
WXYZ = wik-siz = wikushizu

The Japanese singer would be singing the song's title like this:
"abbuka-defu-gii-jekkiru-manoppu-kuaa-suchuubu-wikushizu."

~Ben

dwmckim

Reaction score
Of course that's a VERY speculative question given we're talking about someone singing in an accent or a Japanese person learning English - but since Japanese utilizes a different alphabet it would render the concept of the song a bit nonsensical.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Of course that's a VERY speculative question given we're talking about someone singing in an accent or a Japanese person learning English - but since Japanese utilizes a different alphabet it would render the concept of the song a bit nonsensical.
I'm PRETTY sure they'd just sing it completely the same. A lot of the added syllables made in a Japanese transliteration of an English word can be dropped when singing songs normally.

I don't think the concept of the song would go anywhere, since it's about the English alphabet, and Sesame Street was brought to Japan because it helped teach English to preschoolers among other things. And I'm sure the song is available somewhere over there... but probably only in English... someone once had a CD that had the Japanese translation of "Sing" on it. Which brings me to the question... I know little about Japan's short lived Japanese co-production, but I know even less about their other deal.. I can't remember if they had both a dubbed version and an English version, or if the dub came much much later into the series.