Actors on Stage with Puppets

MGov

Reaction score
I'm going to be performing a couple of puppets in a play in March. The director held callbacks for the live actors on this past Saturday morning and asked if I could bring a couple of puppets to work with the actors, see how they react to dealing with puppets.

So I packed up this penguin I built a while back and Midgie, an old lady that I built from the Project Puppet patterns, and headed to the theatre.

The callback was going to be all improv. I have a lot of improv experience and I knew I was already in the show so I was doing my best not steal focus, plenty of give and take, let the actors lead the way.

Didn't matter. If I was onstage, Midgie or the penguin was the focus of the scene and the actors just pushed it in that direction. When I sat out scenes, the actors did fine, the scenes worked well. When I decided in one scene that Midgie would enter last and play it completely straight, not go for the laughs, we made our entrance, and everybody pretty much shut up, waiting to see what we were going to do.

Some of the actors dealt with it better than others. One actor knew what he was supposed to do and went for it from the beginning. He got cast as the lead. On the other hand, an actress kept looking down at me instead of at the puppet.

I had a ton of fun doing it. It's been a while since I performed puppets on stage, live, with other actors. And I'm looking forward to the show.

And I'm jealous of Midgie. In the last scene she did for the day, this very hot actress gave her full mouth kiss.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
thats awesome man...i get jealous of my puppets too when they get as kiss from a hot chick

Giar Fraggle

Reaction score
I'm never jealous of my puppets...they get their mouths tweaked by 3-year-olds. :smirk:

wes

Reaction score
MGov said:
And I'm jealous of Midgie. In the last scene she did for the day, this very hot actress gave her full mouth kiss.
In high school i was shy, that the only way I could get attention from the ladies, I milked it for everything it was worth!!!:wink: Now I love the attention!!:smile:

MGov, may be it was a subconsciense thing, she could have the hots for you and acting it out through your puppet, Maybe!!