Advice on Painting a Gonzo Replica Puppet

stephen murrell

Reaction score
It comes in all sizes. For somthing like gonzo you will need a block . I used a block that was 10 inch squared.
I must clearly be missing something here lol I cant find anything bigger than a thin sheet on eBay under packaging foam and just about nothing in white lol either im typing in and looking for the wrong stuff or I'm just being empty headed and blind as usual . most likely the later lol :concern:

I only ask as ive always wonderd how easy it was to carve the stiff kind of foam ive tried with the sponge sort but that dont realy work lol

regards
Steve:concern:

SweetPiggy

Reaction score
Wow truly awesome work!
You should do a Muppet making video! :wink:

Derek Thompson

Reaction score
I have seen your progress pics on your Gonzo here and It is really well done. I have posted a question on the board but no answers so I just thought I might contact you as you have walked this road before. How big are your eyes on your Gonzo? Did you hollow out the foam behind his nose for your fingers? How big of a block of foam did you start with. Like you I got a different foam from reticulated. What I got is soft upholstery foam and i think it will have a nice final look but who knows. Its always experiment and learn from your results. Just thought I would reach out to someone who has tackled the same character as I am interested in. Thank you for your time.
Derek

Derek Thompson

Reaction score
Sorry I just saw you said you used a block of foam about 10 inches square. It would still be nice to get your opinion on eye size. DT

Muppetlab

Reaction score
Hi Derek..
The eyes i used were 50mm. However if i did it again i would make the whole thing a tad smaller.
Front to back the head measures about 8 inches.
The head is hollowed out and his eyelids are fixed.
The head and lower jaw were done in two seperate peices.. Again i would change this if i were to redo him :smile:
Hope that helps..

Derek Thompson

Reaction score
Oh man thank you SO much. That helps imensely. I will be sure to post pics as I make progress. This is very rewarding as a craft. I like that we have to embrass all the different skill sets to bring one of these to life. Painting, sewing sculpting...this really stretches me as an artist. Again thank you. DT