Advice, Recommendations, and Suggestions Needed

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm working on a new puppet and I would like your all's advice, recommendations, and suggestions about something... I want to give him a mouth like Kermit and that of early anything muppets (where you can sort of scrunch up their mouths and make it look like they're smirking). How should I tackle this? What should I use for the mouth plates?

Pork

Reaction score
greetings, I'm new and would like a bit-o-advice about how to get started in creating my own puppets...any advice would be great.
thanks

Anna

Tim

Reaction score
You might also try Foamies that come in a sheet. I've glued fabric to the side intended to be seen. It's lightweight, durable, flexible and comes in different thicknesses. I'm working on a rat wight new that has a grumpy sneer and was able to pull the corners of the mouth downward with Foamie shapes glued at the corners inside the head.

Just a thought.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have to say this is pretty interesting... I never though foam-like materials could be used for mouth plates, I'd think it wouldn't be sturdy enough, but maybe you all are right; does anyone else have any suggestions?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
The advantage of the method you see in the Puppet 101 tutorial is that you get all the flexibility of a piece of foam but the gasket rubber pieces provide stability.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So would you recommend gasket rubber instead?

wes

Reaction score
I used the gallon buckets that Ice cream comes in and it does real nice. I use it on several puppets I made and it make a great smirking face. the stuff's really flexible!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
wes said:
I used the gallon buckets that Ice cream comes in and it does real nice. I use it on several puppets I made and it make a great smirking face. the stuff's really flexible!
You know, I've made my puppets before with such simplistic materials... I'll take your word for it, but there's one more person I'd like an opinion from, and I think I'll PM him.