After seeing the Sex and Violence pilot...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to say a few things. First of all, I like how there were no guest stars getting in the way of the Muppets, so instead of Musical numbers, they had more wacky skits and sketches. It flowed better, and I really wish they could have done that format at some point.

I feel that if I were to design the next Muppet show, I'd pattern it after this. The skits are so short and interlaced, and I think they were on the cutting edge of humor doing such. It would work wonderfully nowadays, I think.... especially since MadTV SNL have skits based on one gag that last well after the joke has been run into the ground. Imagine. skits that end when the joke is still fresh.

The one thing I did not like, other than the fact Nigel was the host, was the end where the puppeteers walk around carrying the puppets... I think it distracts from the over all theatrical aspect of the show.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There are some interesting observations about this special.

I wonder why there was no guest star in this. I think it was always jim henson's original plan for The Muppet Show to have a featured human guest star. The Muppet Valentine Show from a year earlier featured a guest star. Was there not enough money in the budget for a celebrity guest? Did Jim henson briefly consider not having a guest star? Did no celebrity want to be in the pilot? Did the network decide not to have a guest (Yeah, right...)?

The Muppet Valentine Show had a mix of new songs (Real Live Girl) and licensed songs (Froggy Went A'Courtin'), but this special only had one major song. I wonder if, had the format been like this, each episode would have had one song each?

While the Muppet Valentine Show had more of a mix of new and old characters in major roles, most of the main characters in this were created for the special, while most characters who had been created for earlier productions only made cameos or background appearances. The most major character in this special who had already been around was Brewsters, and even then he onyl had one big speaking scene. New characters like Nigel, Sam, Dr. Teeth and the electric mayhem, Statler and Waldorf, The swedish chef, the Gene Shalit muppet and the seven deadley sins were more major while previously-created characters like Kermit, Rowlf, George, and Bert only had one-line cameos.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
The Muppet Valentine Show had a mix of new songs (Real Live Girl) and licensed songs (Froggy Went A'Courtin')
"Real Live Girl" was an existing song. It is from the Broadway show "Little Me" that originally starred Sid Caesar.

On the other hand, "Frog Went A Courtin'" is not a licensed song. It is public domain and dates all the way back to 1580!!

:stick_out_tongue:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Was Once Ernie said:
"Real Live Girl" was an existing song. It is from the Broadway show "Little Me" that originally starred Sid Caesar.

On the other hand, "Frog Went A Courtin'" is not a licensed song. It is public domain and dates all the way back to 1580!!

Oh, I didn't know that Real Live Girl was licensed.

Do you know if any of the other songs from that special were licensed or original? I do know that How Much is That Doggy In The Window was licensed (unless it's public domain).

In case you haven't seen the special, here is a list of those songs:
Love is a Valentine
We've Got Love

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Do you know if any of the other songs from that special were licensed or original? I do know that How Much is That Doggy In The Window was licensed (unless it's public domain).
How Much is that Doggy in the Window is not public domain.

minor muppetz said:
In case you haven't seen the special, here is a list of those songs:
Love is a Valentine
We've Got Love
"We've Got Love" (or "I Got Love") is from the Broadway musical "Purlie", which was based on the play "Purlie Victorious". You can hear a clip from it here. Although, it runs out just as it's getting to the familiar part.

"Love is a Valentine" is an original song for this show.

golden teeth

Reaction score
I loved Sex and Violence. I thought that Nigel was a great host.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I would have liked to have seen Muppet Morsels attatched to this pilot on the dvd release. But then again, seeing that it was all just wacky skits and no songs perhaps there wouldn't really have been all that much they could have said about it.
However if the Valentine show is included with season two morsels could be very interesting:big_grin:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
I would have liked to have seen Muppet Morsels attatched to this pilot on the dvd release. But then again, seeing that it was all just wacky skits and no songs perhaps there wouldn't really have been all that much they could have said about it.
However if the Valentine show is included with season two morsels could be very interesting:big_grin:
I agree that there should have een morsels for Sex and Violence, and I agree that the valentine show should have morsels (if it get's included).

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
I Thought it was great not really sure I would have liked the muppets quite as much though if the show was like this but as a stand alone it was great!
I loved the seven deadly sins pagent I'm actully thinking of holding a real on when I open my club night here in los angeles lol
the other thing I really loved was how the clocks and pictures and thing sin the background keep chaning I love them so much for doing that gag because it took more than one viewing for me to notice that lol like bigbird on the wall etc.
I also love how bitter Rowlf is in this lol
I do like Nigel allot more though on this than on the muppet show....
Sam was really strange he was so like eh whatever instead of being so uptight lol....oddly enough though I like him like this also...guess I just like frank oz's Sam no matter what...
I do not like the bird scetch though it drove me nutts even if it had a very sexual hidden meaning lol which I didnt get untill the third viewing of this...
statler and waldorf oh lordy I am so glad they changed in the muppet show...but it was nice to realize that the nursing home thing was once again used in muppets tonight from this....makes me like them being there even more on muppets tonight...since I now know where it came from....
and well well well I guess I'm the only one who liked the end with them about to be attacked by the seven deadlys and then crazy harry blows it all up and caos insues! and we see frank oz and jim and the gang running around I love when we get to see the guys behind the characters!