1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

All-Star Alphabet is availible now!

Discussion in 'Sesame Merchandise' started by minor muppetz, Sep 6, 2005.

1. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

The new Sesame Street DVD, All-Star Alphabet, was released today. I bought me a copy. Here is my review.

The plot takes place at the mall, on a show called All-Star Alphabet. It is hosted by the letters A and Z, who are actually humans in costumes (A is played by Nicole Sullivan and the Z is played by Stephen Colpert). They both split up to talk to random people about letters, but the A has better luck than the Z. There is a scene where they both look for signs with A's and Z's on them, but while the A can find signs with plenty of A's, the Z doesn't have as much luck. In one scene, they ask various people if they can think of words that begin with their letters, and while everybody can think of good A words, the only Z words that people can think of are Zebra and Zoo.

Oddly enough, none of the Sesame Street cast appears in the linking footage, and there are no muppets in this video. However, unlike Learning About Letters and The Alphabet Game, there are segments for each letter of the alphabet, although in my opinion, too many of them do not have muppets. If it weren't for the fact that Sesame Street segments are on this video, it could have easily passed off as any kind of educational video. I will have to watch it again, since I forget the details of soem letter skits.

Here are the segments that are incldued:
    Elmos Alphabet Rap
    an animated A skit that I can't remember the details of
    a B skit with the dixie chicks (I can't remember the details of this one either)
    Elmo and Zoe pretending to be a cowboy and cowgirl, respectivley
    Telly talks to a letter D
    an E skit that I forget the details of
    The letter F appearing on a computer screen
    I can't remember what skits were incldued for G or H
    I wants to show you the sun (or whatever the title is... this song has Sheryl Crow)
    I can't remember what skits were included for J, K, or L
    M Is For Monsters, with Elmo, Telly, herry, and other monsters
    I can't remember what skits were there for N, O, or P
    a cartoon about a guy and duck awaiting Queen Quaigmire
    Letter of the day: R (with cookie monster rapping)
    Prarie dawn gives Grover sixteen seconds to say an S word
    I can't remember what was doen for T
    The Way U Do (with Mellissa Etheridge)
    A V skit that I don't know how to describe
    The letter W on Larry King Live
    the letter X being drawn on-screen
    Don't Know Why Y Didn't Show (with Norah Jones)
    a Z skit that I can't remember
    Miles and the Monsetrs saying the alphabet

There was also an animated skit with letters showing up at the mall shown during the end credits, but I am not sure if this was doen on the show or created for the video.

Although there weren't any skits made before 1990 in the vidoe, the DVD includes five classic letter sktis from the early years, although those skits are either animated or don't have any regular characters.
    The bonus skits are: an A skit about an ape, a skit about the letter D that I don't know how to describe, capital I, a Dragnet parody about the letter W, and The Zizzy Zoomers. There is also an alphabet game that I haven't played.

I give this DVD three stars.
  2. Tim Kelly

Tim Kelly Member

Wow! I could see myself buying that just for The Zizzy Zoomers. :p
  3. minor muppetz

Yeah, this video isn't really bad, but the plot could have been better. The plot could have been used for any kind of production, not just Sesame Street. If you are only planning on buying this for classic segments, buy the DVD, as the classic segments are only there as special features. Most of the muppet segmnets in the main program are really good. I was hoping for Norah Jones' appearance to be on there, although the DVD does edit out the beginning of that segment (with Norah refferring to the letter Y as the letter of the day). It is also good that this production incldues two herry Monster segments (M is for Monster and Miles reciting the alphabet).

Out of the classic alphabet segments, there are only two on here that I already knew about (Capital I and The Zizzy Zoomers). I was hoping for a Harvey Kneeslapper segment, Mystery Letter, Would You Like To Buy An O?, Lefty selling a U, Ernie and Lefty holding a P and R sign, respectively (I am not sure who held what sign), one of Kermits alphabet lectures (like W), or Cowboy X.

I had previosuly only heard The Zizzy Zoomers, so the visuals were better than I had expected. I expected some crazy looking anything muppets to be standing behind a wall in front of a blue background, not some crazy anything muppet heads popping up in front of a black background.
  4. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Wait, i'm confused. First you said that there are no Muppets in the video and then you list them as being in the video.
  5. minor muppetz

They only appear in segments. They do not appear in the linking footage.
  6. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

Sounds like a good video. I was going to buy the VHS version (since the rest of my SS collection is on video), but with all those great bonus clips, I'm goin' for the DVD! The clips don't sound too bad; I'm used to all that 90's stuff now (though I can't stand some of the very repetitive stuff: Suzie Kabloozie's judge intros, kids painting number murals, etc.), and am glad that so many letter segments, either Muppet and animated or film, are used.

skit about the letter D that I don't know how to describe

Did this happen to feature a rainbow-colored D, falling into a daffodil patch? And mixed cartoons with film?
  7. minor muppetz

I'll have to watch it again, but it seems to have a few questions involving D words.
  8. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

It's probably "Daddy Dear (D, D, D, D)".
  9. minor muppetz

I just re-watched the bonus segments and it is Daddy Dear.
  10. minor muppetz

I remember now

The Z skit in the video is a skit where Cookie Monster asks a girl to name something that begins with the letter Z.
  11. minor muppetz

If The Count is reading this, you might be interested in one of the features on this DVD. I am not sure if other recent Sesame Street DVDs have this feature, but there is an audio options feature. I haven't used this feature, but i checked out the menu for it, and it says that it gives audio descriptions for visually impaired people.
  12. jeffkjoe

jeffkjoe New Member

I just bought this DVD for my daughter.

I give it a C+.

The pros: It has bonus classic clips like: "Daddy Dear (D)" , "Capital I", "ZZZ-Zoomers!"

The cons: all of the bumper segments with Nicole Sullivan and Stephen Colbert are REALLY lame.

Not enough Muppets, as was said before. And not enough classic clips. Stick with LEARNING ABOUT LETTERS.
  13. minor muppetz

yeah, that and The Alphabet Game are both better. Heck, even Do The Alphabet is better than this. I haven't seen Alphabet Jungle Game, so I don't know how good or bad that is.

If an All-Star Numbers video gets made, then it better be better and have some Muppets (as opposed to actors in number costumes) in the linking footage, and it had better have five classic counting clips as bonus features (even if the majority of the video includes classic skis).

One thing I noticed was that most of the muppet segments in this video feature monsters.
  14. minor muppetz

some segments

I was just rewatching some of this video, not all of it, skipping past some, and I can tell you some more of the skits on there. I still am not sure how to describe the E, G or V skits, and there are some that I skipped past (the chapters for segments only go for all the letters during a seqeunce of inserts at once, so you can't just go directly to a certain skit unless the one you want to wacth right away is the first one of that chapter).

The B song is called Theres No Letter Better Than B.
    The H song is called Soul H.

I'll try to watch soem more later, but I don't know when that later is yet.

I don't think this is the worst Sesame Street video in the world. It is certainly better than Learn To Share, Elmocize, and The Great Numbers Game. I was looking at the credits on the box (for writers, directors, and producers) and I do not recognize any of those names. I don't know whether they work for Sesame Street or not, but I have a feeling that somebody at either Sony Wonder or Sesame Workshop wanted to produce a video that taught the alphabet and at the last minute decided that it wasn't very good and decided to use the Sesame Street name as the selling point, include some Sesame Street segments, and have the hosts refer to it as Sesame Streets All-Star Alphabet. Not much rewriting needed there. Or maybe they didn't plan on it being a Sesame Street video but it tested poorly so only a few scenes were reshot (the parts that refer to it as Sesame Streets All-Star Alphabet) and maybe the opening music could have been changed (the sesame street theme played at the beginning).

I think that the letters should have interviewed some regular characters. Big Bird could have been there (if there just wasn't any way for a performer to hide while performing, but not having much room to hide a performer never prevented Henson or Sesame Workshop from having the Muppets appear on location). Elmo could have also been there, as could Cookie Monster and Prarie Dawn. Zoe could have helped cheer up the letter Z (since her name begins with Z).
  15. minor muppetz

Here are some other segments that were included:

Jumpin' J
    a group of black girls clap and say K words
    a cartoon with a guy talking about the letter L (yeah, I know, not a very good description)
    kids posing to form the letter N
    an O skit I can't describe well (it looks like a guy is standing on his hands spinning inside an O)
    a P skit that I still can't figure out how to describe (it has P listed for words like paper, point, and peel)
  16. minor muppetz

Thinking about this video kind of reminds me of two Sesame Street albums that I read about that hardly qualify as Sesame Street albums.

One of these was In harmony, which I read a review of at either www.epinions.com or www.amazon.com. From what I read, this song mainly has songs sung by celebrities, and only one or two of the songs have any muppets from Sesame Street.

The other album, which is an even poorer excuse for a Sesame Street album, is Anne Murray Sings For The Sesame Street Generation. As far as I know, this is nothing but an Anne Murray album using the Sesame Street name as a selling point, either to sell an Anne Murray album to kids or to sell a Sesame Street album to adults. From the track listing, and I forget what songs are listed, there are no songs from Sesame Street (that I know of) included, and none of the Sesame Street characters sing on these albums. If the Sesame Street name is going to be used, then they should at least have Anne Murray sing with Ernie, Bert, Grover, Big Bird, Prarie Dawn, or any other recognizable character.

:boo:
  17. minor muppetz

a pro

One good thing about this DVD is that, as far as I know, none of the segments incldued were ever included on any other Sesame Street video or DVD release. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Let's hope that future Sesame Street DVDs include bonus sketches. What's The name Of That Song? and Happy healthy Monsters did. Oddly enough, the amount of segments are different on each DVD. If an All-Star Numbers gets made, then it better have five classic counting sketches (and one of those classics better be a baker film, and another better be a jazzy spies film).