All things Muppety and Christmas-y

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I thought it might be fun, given the season, to have a forum just to talk about ALL the different muppet Christmas shows and music. Here are some of my favoriate things! I look forward to hearing your favorites.

Muppet Christmas Carol
I should probably admit right up front that I am a confirmed Scroogaphile--I have about a dozen different film versions of Dickens' little Christmas story in my collection, the muppet version being my all-time favorite. I love the music from MCC. Everything from the singing vegetables to the big booming voice of The Ghost of Christmas Past make me want to smile and clap. I love the atmostphere of the bustling London town, with its mix of people and muppets and the wonderful recreated architecture. I think the casting in this film is excellent. It stand alone in that the characters that we know are treated like actors here--not just characters. In other words, Kermit isn't just Kermit. (Not that being just Kermit is a bad thing!) He is Kermit the Frog, actor, who is portraying Bob Cratchit. Robin remains my all-time favorite Tiny Tim because he is not sappy or saccharine, but the honesty and purity of his little soul just shines through. I like the simple domesticity of the Cratchit home, which plays surprisingly well, considering Miss Piggy's usual diva status in any production. And Kermit is surprisingly believable as a working man coming home at night to his loving family.
Again, the songs are wonderful. I can watch this video three times in a row and I cry EVERY SINGLE TIME they sing "When Love is Gone." It is a haunting song that speaks to the lost opportunities in every person's life, and it is this moment, more than any other, than changes Scrooge's self-containment into regret.
You also see in this version of ACC something that is usually missing--you see young Ebenezer being left at school at Christmastime year after year. (Sam's casting in the role of head-master deserves a gold star.) In Dickens' story, it is only through the intervention of his dear sister Fran that he ever gets to come home from school at all--even at Christmas. ANd it the remembrance of his sister and her love and care for him that makes Scrooge want to connect with Fred at last.
I like the casting of the two young ladies who play the human love interest--Scrooge's finance is lovely, but believably so, and her face expresses a warmth and compassion that supercedes the modern idea of botox beauty. Fred's adorable little red-headed wife seems the perfect compliment to his merry personality. And seeing Fred's home filled with couples at Christmas--both human and muppet--seems very natural. (I'd like to have muppets over to my house for Christmas!)
Gonzo makes a killer Charles Dickens, in part because he clings to the role so tenaciously that Rizzo cannot--for all of his shenangins--shake his concentration. (When Rizzo says, "Charlie--speak to me!" I burst out laughing every time.
ANyway--I've waxed a little long. I'll stop now and come back to see what you guys write--and to post some more Christmas observations!

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
It's been a long time since I last saw this movie, but I love it and remember how wonderful it was when I first saw it.
I bet Jim would have been proud of it. :smile:

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Yes--but I remember that it made me cry the first time I heard Kermit sing. What a joy it was to see Kermit again--and how much we wanted to forget that Jim was gone. I do think Jim would have been proud of this movie--it was very true to Dickens, but with it's own zany muppet touches that made it truly their own.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes... Twas great to hear Kermit in MCC... Though I think the tribute to Jim helped us know that Kermit would be all right without his master mentor.

Something I've liked in MCC is to have a bit of a bigger appearance by Beaker, that's why it was nice to hear their song from the soundtrack on MC Radio.
Remember, this was made in 1992... With a tribute card at the end for Richard, who've been proud of the zanity involved in this movie while Jim would be proud of the spirit as well.
Between this and Bryan's thread, we should be well stocked on Muppet Christmas for the coming month.

BEAR

Reaction score
Great movie and great personal insights. Will this be a sister thread to mine? Haha! That's okay. My Holiday review thread has all the Muppet/Henson specials and films, plus some non-Muppets too. :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... If this does become a sister thread, I look forward to reading through the opinions and observations from both of you, since I respect your differing viewpoints. Merry Muppetness. Hmmm, siggy possibilities, will keep trying to find one.

BEAR

Reaction score
True, Ed. True. I have a feeling that (if Ruahnna does continue this thread) that she'll focus more on the Classic Muppet projects as opposed to Sesame. Still you can't have too much Christmas, especially when it comes to the Muppets.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
God's doorbell in IAVMMC

Did anyone else notice God's doorbell in IAVMMC? It's the NBS tone! Loved that.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Huh? You mean the NBC tri-tone? Hmmm, will have to watch, er listen for that next time.
So, did ju find the Pepe scene ju wanted?
And on the subject of Muppety Christmas... Two songs in MC Radio's rotation that made me happy, well three actually.
There's a version of "Let It Snow" by my namesake and one of the Countesses from Elmo Saves Christmas Holiday Favorites.
But what made me smile/warm all over were two sung by Luis and María, the first being "Arrurru" and the other "Saludos, Saludos".
That last one is the one that all Puerto Rican parrandas start with and my smile was comparable to a cat named Cheshire.

Now you may ask... "Parranda", what's that? Spanish for "Caroll"?
Well, sort of... But "parrandas" are the opposite of "carolls". They're the sort of Carrolls that Oscar would like, noisy and loud, though infectious merengue beat pours through the entire medley.

Take care guys, it's a Muppety Christmas out there!

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Muppety stuff Christmas in IAVMMC stuff I like a lot:
Lew Zealand popping up with Gretchen, his boomerang fish, to be the star of the show in "IAVMMC" and the, um, definitive way Kermit shuts him down.
Ditto for Kermit's comments about Animal's questionable playing of "The Little Drummer Boy."
The Steve Irwin doppleganger, which seems very affectionate and precious to me now.
The gift exchange between Gonzo and Rizzo. (The outtakes were hysterical, also.)
Five golden rings. (Need I say more?)
Scooter wearing a lampshade on his head at the party, and trying to impress the chorus girls with the fact that his uncle used to own the theatre. Luckily, not at the same time.
The sounds of Kermit kissing Piggy at the end of the show. (listen with the picture off--very funny)
Piggy's apron that says "Felines Navidad."
The Angels that look like rejects from "The Geek Squad."
Rizzo on "Fear Factor." (tastes just like chicken)
The way Kermit says, "Oh Fozzie, no." Pulls my little heart strings every time.
The reminder that the world would be a different place without, um, Kermit. (Is this true of the Kermit we see today? It makes me sad to even ask, probably because I know the answer.)
The snickering of Johnny and Sal when Piggy falls into the orchestra pit.
Fozzie running determinely through the lasers--for his friends. (Also, "you smell like a burnt couch.")
That's enough for now. More free free associations later.