Amish in the City

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Have any of you heard about this? It's a reality show that begins on UPN tonight which puts five young Amish people on their traditional year out in regular society with six "English" people the same age in a house in the big city. I don't get UPN so I probably won't be able to watch it, but it kind of intrigues me. On the one hand, it seems a little exploitive or offensive, but on the other hand the Amish people agreed to it, and it sounds like they come off better in the show than the others do most of the time. I'm fascinated by Amish culture and have a lot of respect for them, and it would be really interesting to see what they have to say about us. I think there's a lot we could learn from them. Some of them were on Good Morning America this morning. I wonder if any of them ended up deciding to leave their order. Diane was trying to guess, but I think they still have several months before they have to decide for sure, so there's probably still time to change their mind anyway...
Erin

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I saw the previews for it. All I can say is, can we give this reality tv crap a rest. What is the deal with network heads anyway?....

ryan

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
It does seem to have taken over. I think "Joan of Arcadia" is a brilliant new drama, but aside from that there haven't been too many new shows aside from reality TV.
Erin

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I tried to watch it,couldn't get past the first 5 or 10 minutes. If they wanted to do this theme,the 'producers' should have played this topic fairly. After the 'city' group got moved in,the 'Amish' group came into the picture. The 'city' group started freaking out, like Amish is taboo or something. Hello,were they not told the show was Amish in the City,did the city people not see the Amish murals,hats,etc.. around the house? Did the 'producers' say nada to the city group,just to 'act' like they knew nothing about the Amish people moving into the house? Then after the Amish group walked into the house,and the gasps subsided,then the typecasting questions were grilled to the Amish group. "Do you have to wear those clothes all the time?" ETC.... I couldn't take it anymore.The production is so wired,I just put a tape in the vcr.

What would have worked to me,if the Amish group was there by themselves,and they should be given a fair chance to explore life outside their Amish community,by just having guides(fair and nice),show the group how modern society works. I understand,if the Amish group in reality today,were to become a part of 'our' world;they would have to be up against characters like the 'city' group.I just think the whole show is totally unfair and out of context.Then again,it is tv,a reality show,and I guess producers think they need the ratings. So tired of reality shows.Only ones I do watch are Last Comic Standing & Fear Factor.The rest is a waste of my time. Just my 2 cents.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
we were at church last night, otherwise my brother would have watched it. When we went to Amish Country in June, he was amazed! He wanted to get a hat, but dang, for simple hats, they sure are quite a pricey item!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
We usually make it to Lancaster at least once a year since my grandparents live right nearby in York. It's gorgeous there, a really neat place to visit. :cool:
Erin

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
have you ever been to Heini's???? mmmmm...LOVE that place!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Is that a restaurant? Not that I recall... Have you ever been to the Shady Maple? That's a really neat buffet.
Erin

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
no it's a place where they make amish cheese...the great part is, you can try every type....YUM