Amusing And Provocative To Kids

bigbird

Reaction score
I always had a passion for SS as a kid and loved it when they showed 2 back to back episodes on some days. At the same time, I also took the meaning of certain skits differently than others and depending on how the skit went, sometimes I would end up feeling somewhat aggravated by the result. Case in point: all the years that the human cast would not believe Big Bird about Snuffy. Now, we as viewers knew that he existed, but of course the humans on the show refused to let themselves believe even one iota of snuffy's existence. The near misses were always kind of provoking and sometimes made me want to jump thru the screen and tell those idiots to start believing in Snuffy. It's just like the poor rabbit on the Trix cereal commercials. For crying out loud, let the rabbit have his Trix and I think the long time viewers like myself will be very satisfied. Someone always invents a concept like these 2 examples and sometimes does not realize the impact that it can have on its viewers. I guess this is the reason the producers and the SS crew finally decided it was time to make Snuffy known to all. Also many Ernie and Bert skits which the majority of times had Bert getting the short end of the stick and Ernie getting the last laugh. Made people like me feel pretty sorry for Bert. I'd like to know if the SS crew actually had any intentions of having TV audience people like me react as such. I'm glad I have kept these feelings in me for so many years and was able to express them here as I did. Did anyone else ever share these same kind of feelings as I have described? I would like to know.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I could always remember being bothered by the adults not believe BB about Snuffy though it was kind of understandable. It also partly Snuffy's fault since he kept finding an ecuse for not remaining and when he finally appeared before everybody, he didn't even own up to his avoiding everyone for so many years.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Ernie usually did get the jump on poor Bert, but not always.

1. Once Bert convinced Ernie to throw out his "R" collection, and Bert got to use the now empty box to store his "J" collection.

2. Bert bet Ernie his banana he couldn't think of ten things you can do with your fingers, and Ernie could only come up with nine. Bert seems out of his mind with glee that the banana is his and runs off with it. Ernie waves goodbye and realizes that was Number Ten.
Ernie "Well, Number Eleven is picking up a banana peel, after someone has eaten the banana. (SIGH!!!!!)

3. And Ernie winds up being his own worst enemy in one of my favorite skits of all time. He eats one of two pieces of chocolate cake Bert had put aside for dessert. Bert catches him with a dirty napkin and fork, and a plate full of cake crumbs, but Ernie refuses to fess up. Instead, he spins a tall tale of a monster coming in, eating the cake ("You know how monsters like cake, Bert!"), and handing him the dirty silverware. Bert's not buying Ernie's story, and storms off. Then in a self-fulfilling prophecy, Beautfiul Day enters (how did he get in without a key?) and eats the other piece of cake, leaving Ernie holding the napkin and fork, and happy that Ernie can take the fall for him.
Bert comes back, sees the scene that looks like Ernie has made a complete pig of himself, and refuses to believe Ernie's tearful explanation.
Ernie: "You won't believe this Bert, but a monster just...."
Bert:" I don't want to talk about it."
Faced with his credibility reduced to ZERO, and Bert having to go dessert-less, Ernie turns to us for sympathy, then breaks down sobbing. You really have to feel bad for him, but he did bring it on himself.

One of the greatest morality plays EVER. I dare anyone to top that.:stick_out_tongue:

BEAR

Reaction score
Yes, it was often that Ernie would fall prey to his own pranks. He's just too smart for his own good.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
Ernie usually did get the jump on poor Bert, but not always.

1. Once Bert convinced Ernie to throw out his "R" collection, and Bert got to use the now empty box to store his "J" collection.

2. Bert bet Ernie his banana he couldn't think of ten things you can do with your fingers, and Ernie could only come up with nine. Bert seems out of his mind with glee that the banana is his and runs off with it. Ernie waves goodbye and realizes that was Number Ten.
Ernie "Well, Number Eleven is picking up a banana peel, after someone has eaten the banana. (SIGH!!!!!)

3. And Ernie winds up being his own worst enemy in one of my favorite skits of all time. He eats one of two pieces of chocolate cake Bert had put aside for dessert. Bert catches him with a dirty napkin and fork, and a plate full of cake crumbs, but Ernie refuses to fess up. Instead, he spins a tall tale of a monster coming in, eating the cake ("You know how monsters like cake, Bert!"), and handing him the dirty silverware. Bert's not buying Ernie's story, and storms off. Then in a self-fulfilling prophecy, Beautfiul Day enters (how did he get in without a key?) and eats the other piece of cake, leaving Ernie holding the napkin and fork, and happy that Ernie can take the fall for him.
Bert comes back, sees the scene that looks like Ernie has made a complete pig of himself, and refuses to believe Ernie's tearful explanation.
Ernie: "You won't believe this Bert, but a monster just...."
Bert:" I don't want to talk about it."
Faced with his credibility reduced to ZERO, and Bert having to go dessert-less, Ernie turns to us for sympathy, then breaks down sobbing. You really have to feel bad for him, but he did bring it on himself.

One of the greatest morality plays EVER. I dare anyone to top that.:stick_out_tongue:
There are a few other ones I remember when :frown: actually got the best of :stick_out_tongue: One time which was my favorite is a skit that begins with Herry holding a big sign with the word NO on it. He plays some kind of joke on Ernie, then before he leaves, he gives Ernie the sign so he can play the same joke on somebody else. Just then Bert comes by, and Ernie tries to get Bert to say the word that's on the sign. Bert says a bunch of things that almost sound like No, Like "I don't wanna" "I don't feel like it" or "Not right now" frustrating Ernie very badly. By the end of the skit Ernie is almost in tears and he shouts "No Bert! No!!!" So it looks like Bert played the trick on him on top of it all.

Another time was a little later, probably during the 80's when Ernie wants Bert to say the beats of the drums exactly the way Ernie plays them. Ernie does a few beats and Bert says them back, then Ernie plays the drums for a VERY long time. Surprisingly, after he's done Bert says each and every beat out loud exactly as Ernie had played it, in the exact rhythm pattern. This shocks Ernie so much he stands there with a Blank look on his face and Bert says he wants to play some more and Ernie tells him "I think I'm gonna go feed my guppies" and walks away with a scared look on his face. Bert looks at the camera and says "Oh well, I can't loose'm all"

MrsPepper

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Yes, it was often that Ernie would fall prey to his own pranks.
Off-topic, but this happened to my friend the other day. He switched cans of pop with a co-worker to see if he would notice. But since he didn't come back for about 20 minutes, my friend completely forgot he switched the cans, and started drinking out of the other guy's can. Then he was all, 'EUGH why does this taste funny?? Oh, because it's NOT coke!'

SesameMike

Reaction score
Bert also came out ahead in the skit where he shows Ernie his treasured bottle cap collection. The Figgy Fizz cap was missing, and Ernie just happened to have found it. Bert is ecstatic over having his collection completed, while Ernie is sarcastically mulling over how "exciting" the day was. (One thing bothered me about that sketch, though: how can you just "decide" to go to a "great big birthday party"; don't you have to be, like, invited first?)

Ziffel

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
(One thing bothered me about that sketch, though: how can you just "decide" to go to a "great big birthday party"; don't you have to be, like, invited first?)
Interesting point. Had Bert have responded to Ernie that there was a parade or circus going on that day, Ernie could have simply said, "Great! I'm going there now!" But had Bert have said, "Farley has a birthday party today" Ernie would have just showed up without an invitation? Knowing how presumptious Ernie is, I guess yeah! Either that or call him on the phone and say, "Hey Farley, I'm coming over to your birthday party this afternoon, okay?"

Another time Bert came out ahead was when they are at the beach and a muppet called tough Eddie accidentally walks by and wrecks Bert's sand castle. Bert was away at the moment but Ernie saw it and angrily chastises Eddie and tells him Bert will really be mad. Eddie says he will be back and to tell Bert he has something for him. Bert comes back and Ernie tells him what happened. Bert is shaking and scared. But Eddie comes back with an ice cream cone for Bert to "you know, kind of make it up to ya for ruining your sand castle." Bert warmly thanks him and starts enjoying his ice cream cone. As Eddie walks off, Ernie (envious of Bert getting free ice cream) shouts, "Hey Eddie, want to come knock over my sand castle?"

mikebennidict

Reaction score
this may sound like an obvious question for some but I wonder if eddie knocked over the sand castle ot accidently? he was moving his arms while he was walking by.