Anamatronic mouths?

puppetise

Reaction score
how to you build anamatronic mouths and ride bikes like in the great muppet caper?

cheers -wayne-

Iokitek

Reaction score
Those are 2 questions actually :wink: But that's ok

I've been trying to figure out animatronics myself. And although I know just a little, it is enough to know I'll probably never be able to learn it. Changing a lightbulb is as electronic as I can get. Unless you know ALOT more than me about electronics I wouldn't really pursue this on your own. It's also really expensive. Too bad though because I love the possibilities of animatronics and I'm full of ideas on how to use them with bunraku for instance... But alas

As for the bike, those are just wires. But yeah :smile: It's impressive. Just check out the making of the Ford commercial with Kermit. It looks so complicated but in fact the solutions are often simpler than you'd imagine (I'm not saying it's easy to do ofcourse)

SesameKermie

Reaction score
I'm not too clear on the mouths. I think they're just puppet type mouths with servo motors to activate the jaw. Try modifying a "vent dummy" mouth.
As far as the bike ride goes, the puppets' feet were attached to the pedals of the bike and then it was towed to give the illusion the Muppets were riding bicycles.

puppetise

Reaction score
Cheers! but what items would be best for mouth manipulation

hennesprod

Reaction score
If you do not find the answers you need, email me I will help you out.

William