And America Continues to Show it's True Colors. . .

Censored

Reaction score
A lot of African Americans, and minorities in general, would disagree with you there.

And there's also the example of Andrew Carnegie. He donated a lot of his fortune to creating libraries, which he hoped would help the poor. The poor, however, made it very clear that they preferred food over books.
Well, it goes back to Maslow's hierarchy of needs: https://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html When people are hungry they need to eat, not read. But after they are fed, books are extremely important to move further in life.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
A lot of African Americans, and minorities in general, would disagree with you there.

And there's also the example of Andrew Carnegie. He donated a lot of his fortune to creating libraries, which he hoped would help the poor. The poor, however, made it very clear that they preferred food over books.
Now you're cherry picking individual items in service of a more sweeping statement. While I agree with most of that, I'm not keen on that practice. :smile: Have a great day! :smile: I have to leave now because I'm one of the working poor and can't afford to spend more time here as much of my workday is now outside of my apartment. I like ya a lot, but continually mangling my words while I'm trying to exit is aggravating, particularly when I continue to spend my life offline helping real flesh and blood people in a myriad of ways.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Eh dude, you're the only one who seems to think that's in question. We were just having a debate as usual.
It's not a debate when you twist the words of other people. That's what I've said. Now I really have to go. I like debate as long as it's ABOVE BOARD and about the issues rather than winning at any cost. Have a great day.

Censored

Reaction score
I'm not saying LL's aren't trying to teach them to fish. I'm saying LL's benefit from a system that guarantees they will always attend better schools than the people they're trying to help.
Again, it's privilege. And if I was putting down only conservatives, I think you would agree.
I've never believed that being rich was a sin in itself. Nor would I give a conservative wrong for trying to help the poor. At the end of the day, the motivation of the person giving is secondary; the most important aspect is if the giving is having a positive effect on others. A drowning man is not going to ask his rescuer if he is saving his life for his own fame or if he truly cares. The drowning man just wants to be saved.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I've never believed that being rich was a sin in itself. Nor would I give a conservative wrong for trying to help the poor. At the end of the day, the motivation of the person giving is secondary; the most important aspect is if the giving is having a positive effect on others. A drowning man is not going to ask his rescuer if he is saving his life for his own fame or if he truly cares. The drowning man just wants to be saved.
THIS! All of this!!! I need to give you a big ol web hug for this. :flirt:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's not a debate when you twist the words of other people. That's what I've said. Now I really have to go. I like debate as long as it's ABOVE BOARD and about the issues rather than winning at any cost. Have a great day.
I'm really not sure where any of this is coming from. I wasn't starting a fight. Don't put me in one.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I'm really not sure where any of this is coming from. I wasn't starting a fight. Don't put me in one.
It's not a fight. It's a continual mangling of my words and clear intent for at least a half dozen posts now. Now, even with the mangling of my words about mangling my words. That can easily be read as hostility. I don't understand it either. That's why I chose to leave this convo and continue to do so as gracefully as possible. ALLOW ME TO DO THAT, please. :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's not a fight. It's a continual mangling of my words and clear intent for at least a half dozen posts now. Now, even with the mangling of my words about mangling my words. That can easily be read as hostility. I don't understand it either. That's why I chose to leave this convo and continue to do so as gracefully as possible. ALLOW ME TO DO THAT, please. :smile:
Dude, please stop accusing me of nonsense and leave.