And If That Diamond Ring Turns Brass (Tinseltown)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
So much there... But the last few lines intrigue me the most. You could probably use that to spin off into something else truly wonderful. *Laughs at the come-on line Lena used in the flashback. Maybe more like Pacifae. Yes, Ima Greek geek too. Took a year-long class on it here, one of my fave of all. Thanks for updating. :smile:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, if I did, it would most definitely be an adults-only fic, so I'd probably put it on ff.net instead of here. However, I just don't feel comfortable writing scenes for officially-described "sex addicts".

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Heh, it's all about knowing our limits. Is good what you've done here so far, I look forward to what's next.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
You know, now that you mention it ... that DOES set up a good fic. However, I'm still not going to write it. I can imagine, though, that Samson was the one who made Lena respect herself despite her history, since Lena mentions that Samson was as idealistic as Kermit was once.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Please don't think that because I haven't read or posted lately, I haven't been wanting to keep up with the story. I've just not had the right frame of mind to concentrate or read the last few days. Will catch up soon though!

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Kermit snored, his head on a desk just offstage of his theater. It had been a long time since he had been able to take a nap without much interruption.

“Froggy baby!”

Kermit jerked up, filled with flashes of countless exposures to the blue monster salesman back when he lived on Sesame Street. He looked around and hoped it was Fozzie or Gonzo playing a joke on him.

But, alas, it wasn’t.

Grover, dragging Foster close behind him, ran up to Kermit and slammed a hand down on the desk, making a coffee cup wiggle perilously close to the edge of the desk. “How are you doing today? Do you have a moment?”

Kermit frowned. He was a good foot smaller than Grover, so he had to look up slightly like he did with Fozzie or Piggy. “Grover, I’m not going to buy anything.”

Grover shook his head. “Oh, you misunderstand, Froggie Baby!” he replied loudly. “I am just a humble cute furry little banker now.”

“Economists everywhere must feel safer,” Kermit replied, while Foster stifled a laugh.

“I am sure they do,” Grover said, oblivious to Kermit’s sarcasm. “However, I am here on behalf of a nice young man I recently discovered. Have you met Foster Evangelos?”

“Uh,” Foster began.

Kermit perked up at the last name of his good friend, Jenny. He glanced at the boy and tried hard not to look shocked. He was a lot bigger than Kermit would have expected … but that’s what you get when you never met the kid. Foster had his father’s eyes and his mother’s lips, though. He shook his head. “I haven’t had the pleasure yet,” he replied. He extended a hand. “Hi, I’m Kermit the Frog.”

Foster smirked briefly, shaking Kermit’s hand. “Yeah, I figured. Grover went on and on about you.”

“I can imagine.” Kermit turned to Grover. “Do you mind if Foster and I talk business alone for a bit, Grover?”

Grover shook his head. “Oh no, Kermit. I would never impose. I will just go down to the cafeteria. It is still open, is it not?”

Kermit nodded. “Yeah, just tell them to put it on my tab.”

Grover patted Kermit on the shoulder. “I would never do such a thing, Froggie Baby! I am more than capable of paying my own way.” He walked over to the door leading downstairs and disappeared.

Kermit looked back at Foster. “So, Foster – what can I do for you? Is your mother okay? I haven’t seen her in awhile.”

Foster had a sheepish look on his face. “Uh, it’s … I mean … she’s … well ….”

Kermit smirked. He had seen this reaction before. “Foster, just imagine me naked.”

Foster’s eyes nearly popped out of his head. He nearly gagged before gasping, “Y-y-you are naked.”

Kermit grinned. “Well, then it shouldn’t be too hard, should it?” Foster averted his eyes, looking up at the high ceiling, blushing to a deep red. “Foster, look: you’ll get through this conversation a lot better if you stop thinking of me as a famous guy and start thinking of me as a friend of your mom’s.”

Foster looked back at Kermit. He seemed so small. Was it a New York thing? How come all the Muppets he had ever met in California, especially his parents, were so much bigger than him? “Y-yes, sir, Kermit, sir,” he managed to spit out finally. He sighed deeply. “I don’t know how to ask you for anything.”

“Try with a sentence and put a question mark after it,” Kermit replied, bemused. “How about answering mine first?”

“Oh, Mom’s fine, I guess. I don’t see her a lot up here.”

Kermit didn’t respond. He’d have to call her later.

“Anyway,” Foster continued, “I … uh … I wanted to get … um … your opinion on something.”

Kermit nodded. “Okay, shoot. Wait,” he said, “around here that’s a bad phrase.” He smiled. “Just ask away. If it’ll save time, me and Piggy aren’t married.”

Foster laughed despite himself. “No, that’s not it. I guess you heard about what’s going on in … in California.” He hung his head. “I don’t know what to do. I had to come here to New York … all because people can’t mind their own business.”

Kermit kept a calm expression. “You’re in trouble with the law?”

Foster shook his head. “The law now has a problem with me. With Bobby and Samson. With, with everything, Kermit, sir.” He looked straight at the thoughtful-looking frog. “You know about Bobby and Samson, right?”

“They’re your legal custodians,” Kermit answered.

“They’re my parents,” Foster corrected, making Kermit smirk a little.

Kermit nodded. “I see. Foster, how old are you?”

“Eighteen, sir.”

Kermit leaned back against the desk. “Well, why do you need permission from anyone? Why not just return to California? There’s nothing that can be done legally to stop you.”

Foster frowned and stared at the floor. “Frankly, Kermit, sir … I didn’t think what happened was legal, either.”

Kermit stared at Foster. He sat there, silent, trying to think of where to go next. “Do you need help getting to California? Does your mother know you want to go back?”

Foster kept averting his eyes. His voice was humble and low. “Samson and Lena are here. They can take me back.” He glanced quickly at Kermit. “I don’t know what to do when I get there, sir. I don’t know what they can do.” His voice cracked. “I need my family.”

Kermit smiled warmly. “Foster … I won’t insult your intelligence by acting like I know what you’re going through. For some strange reason, humans don’t have much of a problem with talking non-humans. We can get away with a lot no human ever could. I also can’t pretend to know why everyone, human or otherwise, does the things they do, or say the things they say. I can only tell you that if you truly believe you are right about this, that others have hurt you unfairly, you shouldn’t give up trying to bring that to others’ attention. Learn from the mistakes of others, as well as your own. Don’t dismiss allies just because of the way they look or act. After all, if you dismiss someone, it gives someone implicit permission to dismiss you for the same reasons.”

Foster nodded thoughtfully.

“Humans, by and large,” Kermit continued softly, “aren’t cruel. Even the ones who seem to be at first are either just afraid of something or they don’t know any better. Lots of beings fear that fixing a problem labels them forever as part of the problem. The people who voted to ban things may have done it out of vindictiveness. However, I choose not to see it that way. I am a firm believer that no one is that malicious or spiteful.”

“Doc Hopper? What about him?” asked Foster. “Didn’t he have a hit out on you or something?”

Kermit looked perplexed briefly, then smiled in understanding. “Okay. I see where you’re going with that. Here’s the thing about Hopper, though: yes, he didn’t care about me. He only wanted to make money and my defiance frustrated that. However, this was a man who had never been taught how to handle failure and rejection. This was a man who confused employment with sincere and loyal friendship. How did he get that way, Foster? What things happened to him in his past to make him so uncaring?”

“But he wanted to kill you anyway when you called him on it,” protested Foster. “At least, that’s what I remember about the story.”

“But doesn’t that make you even more concerned about how he sank to those depths?” retorted Kermit. He sighed. “Foster … if you think people are generally evil … they have no incentive to be nice to you. Villains do bad things, and labels can force people into acting like their label’s namesake. If you want people to be nice to you, you need to expect it from them.”

“But they’re not doing the right thing! They could care less about who they hurt!” Foster yelled.

Kermit remained calm. “And how long have those people been called racist, or judgmental, or whatever? They may be exactly those things … but if that’s all you ever expect out of them, that’s all you’ll ever get.”

Foster sighed and stared at the floor again. “I don’t think I can, Kermit, sir.”

Kermit stared at him and shrugged slightly. “Then you’re in the same boat as they are: the SS Unimaginative.”

Foster looked up quizzically.

Kermit leaned forward, staring straight into the boy’s eyes. “Saying those people are primitive and mindless and bigoted implies that you’re better than that. However, if you suffer the same limitations they do, you really have no cause to label them that way, do you?”

Foster sighed and rolled his eyes. “Then what do you suggest, sir?”

Kermit smirked. “Be better.”

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Bobby knocked on the front door as Piggy stood next to him, bored. “Samson!” Bobby yelled. He turned to Piggy. “Why isn’t he answering the door?”

“Maybe he left you and went to McDonald’s,” Piggy replied with a smirk.

Bobby smirked without missing a beat. “So, find anything at Pork Store Café recently?”

Piggy laughed. “Have you tried, oh, I dunno, calling your little beef stew pot?”

Bobby looked surprised. “Oh, yeah!” He dug out his cell phone from a pants pocket and dialed his partner. “Hello, Samson? Where the heck are you?” His jaw slackened and his eyes bulged. “You’re … you’re where? With Lena?”

“I detect awkwardness,” Piggy teased.

“Shut up, pig. Oh! Not you, Samson! Just some little girl who still seems upset she missed out on the football tryouts … as the football.”

“Now you’re just desperate,” Piggy replied, bemused.

“What do you mean ‘you’re with a girl’, Samson?” Bobby screeched, ignoring Piggy as they both stood at the front door of Bobby and Samson’s house. “You’re with Le-na. What am I supposed to think about that, huh? No, of course I’m not having a relationship with her. She’d give me warts!”

What?” Piggy growled, clenching her fists.

Bobby suddenly chuckled. “So, Lena tricked you into going to New York, huh? That’s my girl. It’s about time you did something more than moan around the house.” He ignored Piggy glaring at him, listening intently to Samson talk. “It’s bad, huh?” Bobby added in a much more subdued tone. “Poor girl. We have to get after Foster for that, Samson. She doesn’t deserve to just be treated like Arturo.”

“How many boyfriends do you have?” Piggy wondered, still simmering.

Bobby put a hand over the receiver and hissed at her, “Do you sleep around with your chauffeurs?” He continued talking to Samson on the phone. “I can’t make it, Samson. I’ve got some business to take care over here.” He started tapping his foot and rolling his eyes. “Yes, Samson. I am also capable of generating ideas, you know?” he continued, starting to sound offended. “Here’s a thought: I’ll do things my way, and you do things your way.” He shook his head. “Good-bye, Samson.” Click. He turned to Piggy. "They’re in Manhattan with Jenny and Foster."

Piggy nodded and smiled. “You see? You were so worried – everything is coming together, isn’t it?”

Bobby stared at her. “Did you know Jenny was depressed?”

Piggy stared at him blankly. “Why would she be depressed? She’s rolling in it.”

Bobby sighed and looked at the flowerbed to his left. “Apparently, putting Foster with her reminded her of not having a family.”

Piggy looked down at the ground shamefully. “Why did you make him move in with her, then?”

“Because she’s his biological mother,” Bobby replied softly.

Piggy snapped to attention. “But … that would make Ronnie ….”

Bobby glanced at her. “Dead, Piggy. We’re his fathers now.”

Piggy leaned against the front door in utter disbelief. “What would make her give away a baby to you clowns?”

Bobby bit his lip and glared at her. “You know us pigs, Piggy: we’re always there to pick up someone else’s scraps.” He put a hand on his hip and pointed at her with the other. “You know what your problem is? You’re not willing to stand up for anyone except yourself! That’s the likeliest explanation for why your frog dumped you.”

Piggy growled at him. “You’re skating on thin ice, Vegan.”

Bobby smirked triumphantly. “When’s the last time you did something nice for someone, huh?”

“I’m not getting involved with this marriage thing, Vegan!” retorted Piggy in exasperation. “This has nothing to do with me!”

“So, it’s all about you then, isn’t it? Isn’t that always the way?” He shook his head. “No wonder I don’t sleep with women.”

“I never said it was all about me.”

“Then why can’t you help?” Bobby replied, irritated. “If this doesn’t affect you one little bit – why not go for it? I can’t help remember that one show you did where little Robin went missing and everyone ended up being there for him – except you. Who came onscreen after Kermit? The bear. Who was also by his side? That mouse chick. Robin was the most important part of Kermit’s family … and you were, what, Piggy? Applying lipstick?”

Piggy bit her lip, tears welling up in her eyes. She wanted to smack him. For several moments, she trembled, having felt this horrible only since Bobby came to her for help at the theater last year.

But, Kermit would tell her that she should hang onto the truth, shouldn’t she?

“I … I … well, how do you think Kermie knew where to find him?” Piggy whimpered at last. “Who do you think told him, hm? Little short stuff would have just disappeared without the ever-watchful eye of moi.” She sighed sadly. “I don’t stand up for things, Bobby. I kept my mouth shut when mother kicked you out of the house.” She stared up into his eyes. “But … I never forgot, Bobby. I never forgot who introduced moi to the concept of being a star. I have an image to maintain … but I have to do things my way. You’re not the only passive-aggressive pig around, you know. Do you know how many secrets and threats and backstabbing I had to deal with to get that priest in the church scene? I made the mistake of letting my frog find out the first time I tried it. I vowed then and there never to let that happen again. The first time I had Scooter helping me. The next time, I did it all on my own. It was only when I stopped relying on others that I actually got my way. I will never help you, Bobby Vegan,” she continued. She put a hand on his and looked at him pleadingly. “However, your problems will most likely fix themselves, if you know what I mean, get it?”

<><><><><><>

Foster sipped some tea down in the cafeteria. Grover had left to go back to work, but had volunteered to pay for Foster’s lunch before he returned to Bitterman Bank. He mulled over what Kermit had said.

“Hey, are you the guest star tonight?” asked a grainy male voice. A bluish-purple … thing … with a long hooked rounded nose sat down alongside a rather large chicken with blue eyeshadow. The … thing … smiled and offered his hand. “You on one of those teen drama shows or something?”

Foster smiled and shook his head, shaking the … thing’s … hand. “No, I just came here to talk to Kermit the Frog.” Kermit the Frog? Like this guy wouldn’t know who that is? How many Kermits were walking around this theater? Idiot. “Uh … anyway, um --.”

“Gonzo,” the … thing … replied. He pointed to the chicken. “And this is my girlfriend, Camilla.”

Foster stared at them for a moment and smirked. “Foster. Pleasure to meet you.”

“Oh, the pleasure’s all ours.”

“Squawk!”

“Can I ask you a question?” Foster asked in almost a whisper.

Gonzo glanced at Camilla before looking at Foster. “Sure. Uh, if it’ll save some time, Kermit and Piggy aren’t married … and that thing with Big Bird and me was just for laughs.”

Squawk,” replied the chicken forcefully.

Foster smiled. “No, that’s not … well, here’s the thing: did you hear about what happened in California?”

Gonzo nodded sadly. “Yeah. Nothing ruins a good strong wildfire like a freak storm.” He looked at Foster and smiled sympathetically. “They should have poured some gasoline on the ground to keep it going.”

“Um,” Foster said uncomfortably, “that’s not exactly where I was going with that conversation. I was talking about the banning of gay marriage.”

Gonzo looked confused. He glanced back at Camilla and then back at Foster. “Why?”

“They said it was immoral.”

Gonzo scoffed while Camilla shook her head. “Imagine that. I wonder what those sun-baked morons would think about an alien whatever and a chicken?”

Camilla squawked and clucked sadly, barely pecking at her corn soup.

“You’re really in love with Camilla?”

“Of course!” Gonzo announced happily. “I mean … look at her … she’s a goddess of fine feathered femininity!”

Camilla blushed and looked away.

“If someone took away my chickie-poo, I don’t know what I’d do,” Gonzo continued.

Foster leaned toward Gonzo. “My parents’ marriage was invalidated,” he told Gonzo. “Kermit said I should be ‘better’ than them, and I guess I know what he’s saying, but I don’t see how it’ll help.”

Gonzo nodded. “Yeah, Kermit’s like that sometimes. He likes to leave it up to the one with the problem to come up with the details of the solution. The best part about him, though, is that he usually goes along with what you suggest, no matter how weird.”

“Well, what would you do?”

Gonzo shrugged. “Gee, I dunno. I guess … I guess we’d just stay married, no matter what other people said.”

Camilla perked up and leaned against him. “Squaawk?” she asked hopefully.

Gonzo glanced at his feathered girlfriend. “Camilla, I said I was thinking about it. I just don’t want what happened to Kermit and Piggy to happen to us, that’s all.”

Foster looked confused. “What did happen?”

Gonzo shrugged. “Ah … he got mad at her for tricking her. They get like that sometimes. He had their license invalidated and annulled.” He paused. “But despite all appearances, they really do still love to make each other annoyed.”

Foster could feel his blood pressure rising. “Why would Kermit do such a thing?” he strained to keep from yelling.

Gonzo sensed the boy’s anger. “He feels a relationship should be built on honesty and integrity,” he replied. “Foster, whenever the pig decides to do things the right way, Kermit will be right there at her side, like he always is. We’ve all complained that he doesn’t deserve such a selfish, arrogant, passive-aggressive witch like her.” He shrugged and sipped some juice. “But he shoots us down every time we mention it. I … I know what he sees in her. I also gave up waiting to see the bud blossom.”

“But what’s the use if everyone’s going to tell you you’re wrong?”

“Squawk, squawk, cluck cluck-cluck squawk,” replied Camilla.

“Oh, Camilla says, and I fully agree with her, that no one can take what’s in your heart. All the legal stuff is nice, but if you found that special someone, even if they strapped you to a rotating fireball in an electrical storm, that someone will still be special to you, no matter what.”

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Rachel and Moulin sat next to a small pond in Central Park, watching ducks float by on the shimmering water. They held hands. Moulin glanced at Rachel, who didn’t seem to be enjoying herself. “Everything alright?”

Rachel shrugged slightly. “I was told that fate would knock on my door.” She glanced at Moulin. “Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be you. This is the second time you just show up out of nowhere.” She laughed. “Some ‘environmental manager’ waltzed up to me and offered me a government job. Can you believe that?”

“Did she say what government?”

Rachel laughed again. “Why bother? Garbage-Gal can’t land me a government contract!”

Moulin smirked. “Try to be a little nicer to her,” she warned playfully. “She has more power than she looks.”

“Yeah … and I control the economy more than I look.”

Moulin stretched and yawned. “If you had a chance to move away from this awful place … would you?”

Rachel frowned. “You offered that before,” she countered curtly.

Rachel ordered the driver to stop. She burst out of the limo and started walking down the sidewalk in the late night hours. Moulin quickly paid the driver and exited the vehicle as well.

“Rachel,” Moulin called out, “grow up.”

Rachel spun around and slapped Moulin. “How could you even say such a thing?”

Moulin crossed her arms. “I haven’t lied to you in the least, Rach. Everything I told you about my life is absolutely true.”

“Oh yeah? You’re some fairy princess and if I live with you, I’ll have my every wish come true? Do you even know how that sounds?” Rachel asked vehemently.

“I’m not a ‘fairy’,” Moulin replied. “I’m a water-elemental fae. There’s a difference.”

“Well, excuuuse me! I’d never want to upset your magical sensibilities.” She turned her back on Moulin. “Don’t talk to me. I’ll be changing my number, psycho wench.”

“And for reasons I still have trouble understanding,” replied Moulin, “you rejected my offer.”

Rachel glared at her. “You’re kidding, right? There’s no such thing as magic and stardust and crap like that. Dreams are for losers.”

“Then you must have plenty of them,” retorted Moulin, slightly offended. “Why is it humans always whine about wanting more out of their lives, and when it’s served on a silver platter, it’s rejected?”

“You tell me, Moulin,” grumbled Rachel. “Let me tell you what ‘humans’ experience: I got your message loud and clear. You had told me that you had ‘other engagements’. Your job was more important than me.”

“I offered to take you with me,” interrupted Moulin. “You rejected me.”

“I rejected a bunch of BS someone comes up with when they’re too cowardly to tell the truth.”

Moulin growled to herself and stared at the pond. A flock of ducks swam slowly by. She stretched out her hand and a huge wave appeared out of nowhere and drenched the waterfowl, causing them to scatter. She spotted Rachel gawking at her out of the corner of her eye and smiled. “That was rather therapeutic and stress-relieving. Those therapists in the hospital did say I should learn to express myself more emphatically.”

Rachel gulped and looked back out at the water. “After I left you, I tried to get hired at Bitterman Bank. At the time, the fact that I had loved you had reached someone’s ears, and I was rejected. I wooed one of the aging members of the board of directors and … landed a spot on the fast-track to success. I rode that train until it reached its destination … and I ended up the owner.”

Moulin stared at her. “Your determination has always been admirable,” she noted with a sense of satisfaction. “The time will come when my destiny reappears before me. I’m not asking you to live some Disney musical. I’m asking you to join me in a kingdom that rivals few.” She smirked. “I’m offering you your dreams, Rach. You tell everyone you want money and power. You can have all that and more: you can also have me.”

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
<333 this facade of the story. Also want to see what happens with Jenny. More please!