Animated Films Eligable for Oscars

radionate

Reaction score
Hey guys,

With all the talk on the board about animation and Disney, I thought you guys might find this interesting. Its a story on the eligible films for the Animation Oscar.

Yahoo News Story

Drtooth

Reaction score
My thoughts..

Stuart Little should not even be considered! First, it's just a live action movie with CGI's pasted on them. Second, it was an awful film. It got horrid reviews, and it Bombed quite quickly. Even the Powerpuff Girl Movie is more diserving (I liked the girls, but it's not oscar worthy.)

Jonah, 8 Crazy Nights, Hey Arnold, and Wild Thornberries are also undeserved...I mean, other than Thornberrys, I have no problems with them, they just don't seem like Oscar material.

Basically, Lilo and Stitch and Spirited Away are the two listed by Disney that deserve consideration (Spirited looks like it could win), but Return to Neverland and Treasure island are only Oscar Worthy, if Oscar means the Grouch, and Oscar Worthy means it's worthy to put in Oscar's can.

Spirit the Stallion looks like another good candidate. Ice Age deserves consideration, but I don't think it would make the cut. I loved it, it's just not quite like Shrek or Monsters Inc, two better films.

radionate

Reaction score
Remember though that these are films that are eligable. Whether or not they are unworthy because of story, production quality, etc. is abritrary at the moment.

I find it very odd though that Stuart Little was eligiable. Does this mean that Star Wars could be considered? Very blurry lines of eligiblity if you ask me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate

I find it very odd though that Stuart Little was eligiable. Does this mean that Star Wars could be considered? Very blurry lines of eligiblity if you ask me.
By that standard, Half Past Dead seems like it could be a candidate.. well... the script was computer generated..

DWOAH HO HO HO!!!!

beaker

Reaction score
Yeah, 8 Zion Nights looks like an abomination of mankind(Dont get me wrong, I LOVVVVE Jewish humor and Adam Sandler when he isnt so over the top...but c'mon! This looks like raunchy syrupy goo packaged as family viewing...Go see Punch Drunk Love for
a really cool Adam Sandler film)

But I for one am looking quite forward to The Wild Thornberries. I love films that take place on the outback of Africa...and hey, I think there's some cute and cuddly Rhinos in there too. Plus the animation looks top notch as well.

Gonzo

Reaction score
I already posted this in another thread, but it actually fits in better here...

Personally, I don't think there should be an Academy Award for animated films yet. That seems like more of a Blockbuster Movie Award or MTV Movie Award...like "Wettest Kissing Scene" or something like that.

I just don't know that the industry is putting out the amount of quality animated films per year to justify having five contenders each year to have one winner that really merits an Oscar. I don't think "Shrek" deserved any sort of Best Picture Oscar or nomination; even if it is in the self-limiting category of Best Animated Picture.

If the Animated Picture is REALLY good enough to be Oscar Material, let it go to bat against the big boys in the "Best Picture" category. If it's not, then let it win the technical awards.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnn

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo
I don't think "Shrek" deserved any sort of Best Picture Oscar or nomination; even if it is in the self-limiting category of Best Animated Picture.
That Oscar win was such a slap in the face to decency...when there was the infinitely better quality Monsters Inc, Final Fantasy...and heck the existential art piece animated film Waking Life to consider. Way to go Academy!(The same academy that continues to deny great indie films any respect)
A Beautiful Mind for best film? Yeeesh. Basically, ya wanna know the politics of it all? Release a film in late Dec/Jan...have it be about something sombre, and then bribe the heck out of the academy and spam ads all over the trades like Variety. That's how its done folks.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Basically, ya wanna know the politics of it all? Release a film in late Dec/Jan...have it be about something sombre, and then bribe the heck out of the academy and spam ads all over the trades like Variety. That's how its done folks.
Ooooh! Maybe "Star Trek: Nemesis" will win this year!

:rolleyes:

Quinn-Luc Picard

GWGumby

Reaction score
There are specifics about how much a film has to be animated to be considered "animated." Because so many of the major characters in Stuart Little were CGI animated, it definitely fits within the criteria.

I'm pretty unimpressed with the offerings this year. I'm glad there are so many choices, that is definitely a good thing, but there's definitely no runaway winner this year.

I have the same feeling as Quinn about having a separate animated Oscar. I also feel the same way about having separate Male Actor/Female Actor categories. Also "Best Song." And also the inclusion of the "shorts" categories. I mean how often does anyone actually get to see any of the nominated short films or even the documentaries? On the other hand, if they're going to add an Animation category because otherwise it wouldn't get recognized, then I think they should add Comedy category as well since comedies almost never get recognized by the Academy.

I'm thinking as for the Animated race this year it will probably be between Ice Age, Lilo & Stitch, & Spirited Away. I've only seen the first two and have serious issues with the first. I would have to vote for Lilo merely because I haven't seen Spirited Away but almost always get put off by anything Anime influenced. Lilo was entertaining, but not a great film. There was some amazingly beautiful artwork in it, though. I never would have thought that I would think a watercolor sci-fi film could work.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Originally posted by GWGumby
I would have to vote for Lilo merely because I haven't seen Spirited Away but almost always get put off by anything Anime influenced.
I concur. I honestly HONESTLY don't know where the idea came from that Anime was so superior to Western Animation. There are definitely cool designs there, and sometimes I like the very stylized way they draw characters...but the animation itself? Muh. Having a drawn character holding still, mouth in mid-yell, as a blurred "background" whizzes past is okay for "Voltron," but don't try to sell it to me on the big screen.

I'm not starting a fight. I do like some of it, but I don't think it deserves the reputation so many want to bestow it.

Quinnnnnnnnnn