Animation Academy Awards Announced

radionate

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

As you may or may not know, Academy Award nominations came out this morning. I figured the Animation Awards would be among the most interest to everyone on here.

Here they are for your scrutiny:

Best Animated Feature Film

ICE AGE (20th Century Fox) Chris Wedge

LILO & STITCH (Buena Vista) Chris Sanders

SPIRIT: STALLION OF THE CIMARRON (DreamWorks) Jeffrey Katzenberg

SPIRITED AWAY (Buena Vista) Hayao Miyazaki

TREASURE PLANET (Buena Vista) Ron Clements

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
If there is any sort of justice within the world of artistic merit then "Spirited Away" should definitely win this category.

But alas...Ice Age will probably go home with the award.

*sigh*

radionate

Reaction score
I think it's going to come down between Lilo & Stitch and Spirted Away.

I'm really pulling for Lilo. I found it charming, and another turning point for Disney on so so many levels.

Treasure Planet, Ice Age, and Spirt all don't have a chance with the Academy Voters for this one.
:big_grin:

Just my opinions, which I'm sure you'll hear more of on this topic.

beaker

Reaction score
Gooooo Spirited Away!!! Show the American public what real awe inspiring animation is all about(err, that and finally people would know about...DARN YOU DISNEY for intentionally sabotaging LAssetter's hard work in getting htis epic stateside....boo!)

CousinLuke

Reaction score
My vote is for Lilo and Stitch. Computer animation gets too much attenetion today (not that Pixar doesn't deserve it). Ice Age seemed too old in comparison to Pixar and especially Squares (Final Fanitsy: the movie) animation.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I'm going for Lilo and Stitch. I absolutely HATED Ice Age. It wasn't funny, it didn't run smoothly, the only reason to watch it was for that Scrat guy, and most of his scenes were already shown on the commercials.

I did kinda like the John Legui-what's-his-face character, but that's it.

What was Spirited Away like? What's that rated?

Didn't see Treasure Planet, but I hear (from an absolute cartoon hater) it was a really good movie.

kansasteen14

Reaction score
I hope Lilo and Stitch wins, but if TP won it would be great for Disney. Ice Age shouldn't win,it was just MI and Shrek combined. Spirit was pretty dumb

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Someone said today in one of my animation classes that they've rigged it so that Spirit will win. He said the final decision rests in the hands of some moral committee or something, since Spirit is "so politically correct it makes you want to puke", as the guy put it. I haven't seen Spirit or Spirited Away 'cause they're just not my type.

One of my blank books has a Chris Wedge autograph (and Bunny drawing), which I got before anyone ever heard of Ice Age.

Oh yeah, and John Leguizamo is coming to the Flint Center (in Cupertino) next month, and I'm gonna take my friend along with me (as his birthday present). WOO HOO!

pezbalubah

Reaction score
I'm hoping for Lilo and Stitch... I'll take hand painted animation over computers any day.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
To be honest, I didn't really like any of the nominated films (of the ones I saw. I never did see "Spirited Away") that much. I think my vote is in for Lilo & Stitch, though. It was cute, and had the heartwarming terk-jerker towards the end, so what the hey. Its definitely the one I dislike the least, anyway. :smile:

I am also among those who perfer traditional animation to CGI stuff, and though I didn't really like the style in which the human characters were drawn in L & S, I still think its favorable IMO.

-Matt