Animation Conversation

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Yeah, TRH is a pretty forgettable show, essentially The Flintstones with an Ancient Roman coat of paint (and interestingly, that's what The Flintstones was supposed to be at one time). But at least it had a great theme song, which was what H-B was usually good at. :smile:
That is true. Can't say I ever forgot any of their theme songs. But that makes me wonder, who was that group of people that always seemed to sing these songs? Almost all of these were sung by a group of a couple of girls and a few guys.

mr3urious

Reaction score
If HB wasn't ripping off another well-known idea, they were ripping off themselves.
Which is what makes Hong Kong Phooey all the more special, as it was something original for them during the '70s.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
We watched Ernest and Celestine last night. Sweet, charming, and with more worldbuilding than I'd expected. The epic chase from the bear and rat police is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long while, animated or not.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
If HB wasn't ripping off another well-known idea, they were ripping off themselves.
Sid & Marty Krofft were just as guilty: how many times did they rehash the same old strangers in strange worlds premise they began using with Pufnstuf?

Come to think of it, didn't Filmation also indulge in occasional rehashing their own premises as well?

mr3urious

Reaction score
We watched Ernest and Celestine last night. Sweet, charming, and with more worldbuilding than I'd expected. The epic chase from the bear and rat police is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long while, animated or not.
I totally want to see a new animated film from the directors using the same techniques, if they're not working on one already. :smile:

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you one of the worst cartoons of all time, "Paddy the Pelican":

Airing in 1954,this was one of the first animated series made specifically for TV.

The cheap animation I can totally forgive, every TV cartoon at that time was cheap. Plus, I kind of like the art style even if their are no backgrounds. But the voice acting is awful and half the time you can't even tell which character is talking because the lip-syncing is off and two of them literally have the exact same voice. Like seriously, the voice actor barely even tried to vary the voices even a little bit.

Further more, and this one of the biggest problems, the show never shuts up. Seriously, the characters never ever stop talking. They explain every single action that their doing out loud and they continue to repeat themselves over and over and over and over again.

And one last major thing. The writing in this very short cartoon just gradually gets lazier and lazier as the episode goes on. I don't know how you can accomplish that in only five minutes but, the writing gradually gets more generic and half a**ed.
And then there's...

There doesn't seem to be any background information on this short. My guess is that it was an animator's experimental short that somehow found its way into the home movie market. Or perhaps a pitch of sorts.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Okay, since this thread got bumped...
Too bad drtooth isn't still here. He'd appreciated this.
In the spring of 1990 on Fox on Saturday mornings, was this neat little show called Zazoo U.
Only lasted a season. But was great for its brief existence. Kind of a 90s version of "Duck Amuck". Had a psychedelic edge to it. One episode ended with a poem showing extinct animals called "Yesterday's Zoo".
The premise of the show was a few kids wandering the halls of their school, and every door they opened led them into a different universe.
It was a neat concept. But sadly most of you weren't around, and if you blinked, you missed it.
A few bits and pieces survive on YouTube for those inclined to take a peek.

D'Snowth

Reaction score

This is a bit of a stretch, but at the same time, it's not entirely inaccurate . . . I mean, if done well and done carefully, Flash animation can look pretty decent, smooth, and fluid, but most Flash animation relies way too heavily on motion tweening and library builds and such, so there's still a rather stiff and robotic feel to it.

And let's not forget that even during the golden age of animation, limited animation was still an industry standard, particularly for low-budget studios like Jay Ward or Hanna-Barbera.