another thing I thought about today's SS.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
don't know if the series ever thought about the ages of it's cast but besides Mr. Hooper we would see Willie The hog dog man and Mr. Mackintosh the fruit man all of them are gone. don't know is Chet O'Brian aka Mr. Mackintosh left or paeed away Kermit love who was Willie I learned sometime ago is still alive and is 90 I think. is it just a coinncidence old is there any particualer reason why we don't see anyone in their senior years on SS? bob maybe old and but he's probably looks upon as a younger man in his charater.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
The guys who played Mr. Macintosh and Willy the hot dog man probably wanted to move on to other things, like Frank Oz, and Jerry Nelson. The last time I remember seeing Mr. Macintosh was the early 90's, and the last time I saw Willy was 1985 (I barely remember the guy) I think when people get older they just want to relax, and spend time with their families and travel. That's probably the case with Willy and Mr. Macintosh. It would be nice to see Mr. Macintosh make a comeback though. With the new Healthy Food theme the show has, he would work perfect in an episode with his fruit and Vegetable stand. Bob may be 72 now, but I think he really takes pride in his work and is very dedicated to the show, and is probably somewhat attatched to it too. Heck 36 years is a long time and after that long of time, it would be hard to just get up and leave. I found out the actress who plays Susan is 67 years old now. We get to see her usually once a year or so now. (kids probably barely or don't even know who she is) But it's probably because she's getting older and is taking time out for other things in her life too. Emilio Delgado turned 60 recently. After 34 yearsh e's still going strong as Luis and I think he really enjoys the show as well. I guess it all depends on the person. Some feel it's time to leave the show and move on once they hit a certain age, and others are determined to stick with it, until they can't stick with it anymore. Hope this helps.

Rosewood

Reaction score
I think Bob is awsome!

mikebennidict said:
bob maybe old and but he's probably looked upon as a younger man in his charater.
Out of all the human characters on SS, I think Bob is probably the one who's persona on the street most closely matches the way he is in real life. I've heard multiple reporters who have interviewed him say that talking to him in person makes you feel as if you were right there on SS. He's been with the show since the beginning and it is funny how, over the years, he really hasn't changed much at all where looks are concerned. I think the show itself, along with the way he perceives life in general, is what keeps him so "young".:smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
Kermit Love (Willy) and Chet O'Brien (Macintosh) were also production people behind the scenes of the show. Love was a puppet builder and Macintosh was a stage hand. They were given these little roles to play also but they were never very major. I would love to see them again too, but don't expect it.

It seems to me that have the cast are senior citizens now. Bob Mcgrath is now in his 70's, Loretta Long in her late 60s, Roscoe Orman and Emilio Delgado are also in their 60s. Sonia Manzano is in her 50s (I think 55 actually). Alison O'Rielly (Gina) has been on the show since she was a teen and has stayed on now in her 30s. Alan joined the cast now and I think he is also in his 30s, maybe early 40s. It kind of seems like Gabby and Miles are the future of Sesame Street. Notice how lately those two characters have been given a lot of material. Especially as they are getting older (they are both in their early 20s), they are sort of becoming the new host couple of the show just the way Gordon and Susan were in the first years and later Luis and Maria.

BEAR

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
Out of all the human characters on SS, I think Bob is probably the one who's persona on the street most closely matches the way he is in real life. I've heard multiple reporters who have interviewed him say that talking to him in person makes you feel as if you were right there on SS. He's been with the show since the beginning and it is funny how, over the years, he really hasn't changed much at all where looks are concerned. I think the show itself, along with the way he perceives life in general, is what keeps him so "young".:smile:

I have read that when the show began, Bob didn't really know how to play the character or what they wanted from the character. They told him to just be himself and that is exactly what he has been doing for 36 years!

superfan

Reaction score
Bob is in his 70's!!!!???? Holy shmoly!! his age is definately starting to show, but early 70's!!?? Wow. I feel old, now too!

BEAR

Reaction score
superfan said:
Bob is in his 70's!!!!???? Holy shmoly!! his age is definately starting to show, but early 70's!!?? Wow. I feel old, now too!
I believe he was in his mid-thirties when the series began. Double that and you get early 70s. Crazy, huh? He doesn't act like an old man. He is still as active as he was back then.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
Bob is one of my favorite people on SS.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Of course the character of "Bob" on "Sesame Street" is a little different than in real life. I've read that he was married and has five sons. On the show, he definately isn't married though he had a long-time relationship with Linda.

Rosewood

Reaction score
That's true

Daffyfan2003 said:
Of course the character of "Bob" on "Sesame Street" is a little different than in real life. I've read that he was married and has five sons. On the show, he definately isn't married though he had a long-time relationship with Linda.
That's true, he is married and has a good sized family in real life. (Kinda puts a squish on that suggestion someone put out there that he was possibly gay, doesn't it?)