Another "TravellingMatt" Muppet Show Episode!

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
Maybe it's got something to do with the fact that his "best of" is in my CD-ROM at the moment...

SPECIAL GUEST STAR: ELVIS COSTELLO

OPENING THEME

Kermit introduces opening number

OPENING NUMBER: A group of Fraggles sing "Aquarius"

S&W commentary

WALDORF: Y'know, I never liked songs from the psychedelic rock age...
STATLER: Yeah, your taste in music is from the prehistoric stone age!

BACKSTAGE: Sam the Eagle hopes that Elvis Costello will perform some of his "heavier" works (i.e. the Brodsky Quartet and Anne-Sophie Mutter CD's). Kermit tells him not to hold his breath, making Sam go off in a huff.

GUEST STAR: Elvis Costello sings "Veronica" with Granny the Gouger, who turns out to not be as old and senile as the song requires her to be and tries to beat Elvis up by song's end

PIGS IN SPACE: Dr. Strangepork is working on the latest edition of his teleport beam. After zapping Miss Piggy off the set, he teleports Elmo ON the set. "Elmo not supposed to be here..."

BACKSTAGE: Kermit commends Dr. Strangepork for his teleport ray, until Miss Piggy gets zapped backstage, then Elmo joins her in annoying Kermit--Piggy with her passion, Elmo with his cuteness.

GUEST STAR: Elvis Costello sings "God's Comic" with Fozzie Bear pantomiming...then being chased by Uncle Deadly...in the background.

WALDORF: Well, it hasn't been the first time Fozzie's died on stage!
S&W: DOOOHHHH, ho ho ho...

SONG: Forgetful Jones sings "Memory", but can't get past the first few lines. "I FERGOT! HA-HEEEEE!!!"

TALK SPOT: Elvis Costello gives Kermit a pair of his famous horn-rimmed glasses.

SKIT: "At The Dance"

CLOSING NUMBER: Chrissy and the Alphabeats (from Sesame Street) are onstage about to play "Count It Higher". Elvis walks on, says "There's no need to play this song" and he leads the band in a rousing version of "Radio, Radio".

CLOSING THEME/CREDITS

CLOSING REMARKS FROM STATLER AND WALDORF:

WALDORF: I like a happy ending.
STATLER: I just like when it ends.
BOTH: DOHHHH, HO HO HO...

(Tip o' the hat to "Animaniacs" for that closing remark!)

Luke

Reaction score
**** - thats another cool one. You oughta make a regular thing of these.

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
Thanks! The closing number bit spoofs Elvis Costello's now-legendary Saturday Night Live appearance in 1980. His band, the Attractions, were about to play "Alison" (an early single) when Elvis stopped the band and had them rip into "Radio, Radio". As a result of this, EC wasn't invited back on the show until 1989. I think if Jim were around, he'd appreciate the reference, as the Muppets briefly invaded Stage 8A. (I remember thinking that Scred was the coolest-looking thing...)

Luke

Reaction score
Only one thing wrong - Elmo - are you sure ?

I'd prefer him to get zapped with the teleporting ray ! ;-)

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
Ah, it's all in the interest of driving Kermit nuts. And if Kermit hardly had the patience for Grover all those years, imagine how much he'd have for Elmo!

mango

Reaction score
Here's a little add-on for the Elvis Costello episode..

In the first backstage segment, Gonzo dressed in full Elvis Presley white rhinestone jumpsuit (a la Elvis impersonator) tells Kermit he's a huge Elvis fan. Kermit then tells him that its not Elvis Presley who's the guest star but Elvis Costello.

Gonzo then exits saying "Oh well.. I guess I better return these gasoline-powered blue suede shoes" but not before being swarmed by Camilla and a bunch of chickens...

mango