Antron Fleece Dye Methods?

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Can someone please give me a simple yet quality method for dying Antron fleece? I really prefer RiT dye since it's easy to get in my area and I am familiar with it's color blending recipes.

I've heard that dying by method of tub/bath instead of washing machine is best. Can someone list the step by step instructions they follow for doing this with antron fleece? I have my first order coming in soon and would like to know how to dye it.

Thanks,
-Michele

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I don't have a package of RIT handy (and I'm much too lazy to go find one) but doesn't each package come with instructions for hand and machine dying?

Hand dying is preferrable to machine dying. You'll have better control over the results and avoid the massive pilling that seems to happen when you use a washing machine. Did you try searching Google for more information?

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Oh Duh! :embarrassed: I've done it by memory for so long that I didn't even realize that there were manual instructions on the back. (I've always used the washing machine).

So antron fleece doesn't need to be treated different than any other fabric? It was expensive with the shipping & all, I want to try and avoid as many mistakes as possible. :smirk:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I don't think so...mind you I am not an expert on this. I've found at home that I usually get better results dying smaller pieces as opposed to larger ones. I always do several tests before any actual dying.

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Just an FYI for anyone else who needs to know.....

I used RiT brand dye on antron fleece this morning. I used the manual dying method as described in the instructions printed on the box. I used an entire box on one yard of fabric (I wanted a "rich" shade of the color I purchased) and it worked beautifully! Antron absorbed that color WAY better than any other fabric I have used. Of course, this is also the first time I have tried the manual dying method, but I had no problems at all.

To rinse and "dry" I put the fabric alone in the washing machine and only set it on the lowest rinse cycle (about 5 minutes or less) and then let it spin the fabric dry. To avoid pilling, I DID NOT put it in the dryer. But if you have a good spin cycle and are dying small amounts of fabric at a time you'll see that the spin cycle takes out almost all of the water in the fabric and then it only needs to hang dry for about 15-30 minutes depending on the size of your piece.

I am so impressed and exicted about using this fabric that I'm almost ready to throw away or set aside my current puppet project to work with the antron. :big_grin:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Heh heh...once you go antron, you never go back baby! :zany:

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
*laughing* Why didn't you warn me that it could be so addictive?!

By The Way..... I need to buy a stirring stick because my finger nails are a dark peach color now! :excited:

puppet builder

Reaction score
Acid Dyes

Hi!

Personally, I've never found RIT dyes to be consistent on varied synthetics.

For instance, Antron will take most dyes very well, but if you need synthetic sable to come out the same color as the Antron...

Take a look at Jacquard Acid Dyes (for silk, wool, and nylon).
Available via: http://www.dharmatrading.com.

Very, very easy and the results... You'll be amazed.

Take Care!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
BUMP!

Also, I have found some silky-feeling fur material that I'm wanting to build with. It's really nice, but polyester. Unfortunately, the colors aren't what I want and need to be dyed. Is there a dye that polyester will take?

Phantom

Reaction score
From my research, 100% polyester can only be dyed commercially. Poly blends allow the non-poly portion of the fabric to accept dye and the results may be unpredictable. If you find out anything contrary to this, let me know...PLEASE.