1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Any Fraggle DVD news?

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by Jrobert, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Jrobert

Jrobert New Member

Fraggle DVD news?

So what's the deal?

Obviously, we have a great petition going (thanks BlueFrackle), where's it going? Has anything happened? Anyone said anything? Petition been sent to anyone?

Feed our eager curiousity. :)
  2. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet New Member

I was wondering the same thing. All my friends constantly ask me (as though I should know) "So, when are the Fraggle Rock episodes coming out on DVD??"

Any news? Does anyone think that the Henson folks buying back their company might be good or bad news as far as expiditing Fraggles on DVD?

BTW, I have that Dark Crystal CD set on order!!!

dave :excited:
  3. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Member

The Henson Co. people apparently do like the idea of Fraggle DVDs, and them getting their freedom back could mean that it could happen (and since it's not some company like Disney getting a hold of them, this could lead to something nonconventional for "kids' shows," like season sets)
  4. MuppetDanny

MuppetDanny Well-Known Member

One thing is for sure is if does get on DVD (offically) the episodes will be US/Canada versions for US, UK, Austrlia and where ever it shows the US prints.

It would be nice for the UK fans is that the UK episodes should get their DVD in there own right. If not at least show some of the footege of UK verisons and use them as "Deleted / Alterate Scenes".

Later
  5. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

Danny,

Yeah, Ive often said that when they release the DVD's that they should add the Doc segments from France, Germany and Britain.

But if not, Then i would only want to see Doc (Gerry Parks) in the set.

Remember, There were also new Travelling Matt segments made for each country on location.
    so there would be full German and French clips, That havent been shown in the UK or US.

While we are speaking of Extra's, I would also like the interviews and clips from the Promotional Tour that Jim did with Mokey and Cotterpin Doozer.
    They travelled around Canada and made TV Appearances.

There was also Travelling Matt on CITV (UK) and Red, Matt and Sprocket on 'Comic Relief' in the UK.

Then we have 'The Fraggles Find Jobs', And im sure there is some more additional stuff that could be put on like music tracks without Dialogue over them.

see ya
  6. MuppetDanny

MuppetDanny Well-Known Member

BlueFrackle

I don’t think the “Comic Relief” segment is useful due to the fact theirs only a few quick glimpse of Fraggles. Maybe it could be used for an all new documentary :).

Here are a few ideas that would be great for the special features:-

Audio Commentary with Gobo, Wembley, Boober, Red, Mokey and Travelling Matt Fraggles
    Jim Henson Interview
    “Down at Fraggle Rock..... Behind the Scenes” - Making of Feature
    “??????” - All new documentary with cast and crew members with footage of FR episodes and unseen footage (if there is such a thing)

Anymore ideas

Later
  7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet New Member

Since most of the Fraggle parts are the same...and it's mostly Doc and traveling Matt that are customized...wonder if seamless branching or mutiple-angles couldn't be used to provide both versions on the same disc? Just how many unique versions were there?

Of course, Since Europe needs PAL format R2 DVDs I guess they need to master a unique disc for that market anyway. It's just that as an american I'd love to be able to watch both versions on my TV as well!

dave :)
  8. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

What exactly are these alternate scenes with Doc and Matt? Are you saying Doc was out on location with Mat doing some sort of special scene? if so, please explain because I've never heard of this. Sounds like a great idea for a Fraggle DVD season set though.
  9. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Various countries had totally new Doc and Sprocket scenes for each episode. Doc was played by a different performer for each country. Sprocket was usually done by a Henson puppeteer who was as close as possible. It was a big undertaking, but it helped to customize the show for each culture it was shown.
  10. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

My understanding (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) is that Sony's distribution deal is going to expire soon (that's why they were interested in acquiring Henson recently) so likely now that the company is back in the family's hands they'll either cut a new deal with Sony or someone else and that will hopefully involve new DVD releases like Fraggle Rock.
  11. trekkie1701E

trekkie1701E New Member

If this is true, I hope we see, in addition to FR, more of the older stuff on DVD. Hopefully,when they finally do relaese FR on DVD, it'll be like a new and improved beginning.
  12. Saxy_Red

Saxy_Red New Member

fraggle dvds

someone in another part of this forum actually emailed the henson company and they emailed back saying they are (in bold) talking about doing fraggle dvds. and if you go online at amazon.com you can look up dvd/fraggle rock and vote to get them made. also, i think if you look on the petition page they are already made in france. :excited: am i wrong? i just started looking yesterday.
  13. trekkie1701E

trekkie1701E New Member

Europe always gets stuff first:mad:
  14. Wembley

Wembley Member

Here's how the Henson Co. could "integrate" alternalte languages, alternate Doc segments etc...

DVDs have the capability to have multiple language tracks on the disk - in fact, most movies in the US have at least English and either Spanish or French as alternate audio tracks.

This ability would fit great with the format of Fraggle Rock - the video part is the same, just alternate dubs of the audio.

Another feature that DVDs have is called "seamless branching" - This means that the DVD can - based on various options like parent control ratings, or choices made at the main menu - automatically substitute scenes "on the fly" - for example:

0:00 - 15:03 - main film
    at 15:03, the film will automatically branch to version "A" or version "B" depending on the options chosen at the main menu and will continue on until the end, at which time, the main film will resume. This is not used very often, in fact, only one DVD I have seen has this feature, and it was a horror movie that let you choose how scary it was.

Again, this fits in well because in Fraggle Rock, the cave scenes were the same, it was only the "Doc" and "outer space" scenes that were different.

It's almost as if DVDs were DESIGNED for Fraggle Rock! And, knowing Henson, the menus would be just as good as the actual show!

-Rick "Wembley" Miller (Yes... I'm baaaaaaaaack!)
    ..."You can NOT leave the magic!":smirk:
  15. anathema

anathema Active Member

There's a reason this feature isn't used too often, and it's because most of the cheap (ie, the most common) players out there don't support it properly. Parental control is a different feature, and works in a different way.

Additionally, while the idea would work in principle, you're not looking at a simple cut between video shots - there are audio mixes as well, which seamless branching can't deal with. It also couldn't deal with the case where the video dissolves from the Rock to our world, or vice versa. You'd wind up having to duplicate so much material that it would be much cheaper to simply release different cuts of the show in different countries.
  16. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Yea but has anyone thought of them cutting some of the episodes? Like they did w/ MFC. I won't even buy if that happens. I'll have to call them and tell them to their faces "Ya'll need to quite cutting out stuff form our favorite classic muppet speicals or episodes.
  17. Boober_Gorg

Boober_Gorg Active Member

I can't picture that happening. Odyssey cut the show, but CBC didn't, so I'm confident that the complete masters still exist. Unless of course Henson uses those cut versions for the DVD realease, for no better reason than to fit more episodes on a disc. Then again, that would be as silly as using the syndicated, constantly-rerun edited versions of all the Simpsons episodes for the DVD box sets... which, thankfully, they didn't. If you slap on the word "UNCUT" on a DVD box set (which they usually don't lie about when they do so), it will definitely sell. Keep in mind that Henson doesn't have the same reputation as Disney for releasing edited things. They have no reason to release edited Fraggle Rock on VHS/DVD - I mean, face it, they didn't do it in the past with the video releases.

Besides, the edits in MFC were made for a reason.