Any Fraggle DVD news?

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
If this is true, I hope we see, in addition to FR, more of the older stuff on DVD. Hopefully,when they finally do relaese FR on DVD, it'll be like a new and improved beginning.

Saxy_Red

Reaction score
fraggle dvds

someone in another part of this forum actually emailed the henson company and they emailed back saying they are (in bold) talking about doing fraggle dvds. and if you go online at amazon.com you can look up dvd/fraggle rock and vote to get them made. also, i think if you look on the petition page they are already made in france. :excited: am i wrong? i just started looking yesterday.

Wembley

Reaction score
Here's how the Henson Co. could "integrate" alternalte languages, alternate Doc segments etc...

DVDs have the capability to have multiple language tracks on the disk - in fact, most movies in the US have at least English and either Spanish or French as alternate audio tracks.

This ability would fit great with the format of Fraggle Rock - the video part is the same, just alternate dubs of the audio.

Another feature that DVDs have is called "seamless branching" - This means that the DVD can - based on various options like parent control ratings, or choices made at the main menu - automatically substitute scenes "on the fly" - for example:

0:00 - 15:03 - main film
at 15:03, the film will automatically branch to version "A" or version "B" depending on the options chosen at the main menu and will continue on until the end, at which time, the main film will resume. This is not used very often, in fact, only one DVD I have seen has this feature, and it was a horror movie that let you choose how scary it was.

Again, this fits in well because in Fraggle Rock, the cave scenes were the same, it was only the "Doc" and "outer space" scenes that were different.

It's almost as if DVDs were DESIGNED for Fraggle Rock! And, knowing Henson, the menus would be just as good as the actual show!

-Rick "Wembley" Miller (Yes... I'm baaaaaaaaack!)
..."You can NOT leave the magic!":smirk:

anathema

Reaction score
Originally posted by Wembley
Another feature that DVDs have is called "seamless branching" - This means that the DVD can - based on various options like parent control ratings, or choices made at the main menu - automatically substitute scenes "on the fly" - for example:

0:00 - 15:03 - main film
at 15:03, the film will automatically branch to version "A" or version "B" depending on the options chosen at the main menu and will continue on until the end, at which time, the main film will resume. This is not used very often, in fact, only one DVD I have seen has this feature, and it was a horror movie that let you choose how scary it was.

There's a reason this feature isn't used too often, and it's because most of the cheap (ie, the most common) players out there don't support it properly. Parental control is a different feature, and works in a different way.

Additionally, while the idea would work in principle, you're not looking at a simple cut between video shots - there are audio mixes as well, which seamless branching can't deal with. It also couldn't deal with the case where the video dissolves from the Rock to our world, or vice versa. You'd wind up having to duplicate so much material that it would be much cheaper to simply release different cuts of the show in different countries.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Yea but has anyone thought of them cutting some of the episodes? Like they did w/ MFC. I won't even buy if that happens. I'll have to call them and tell them to their faces "Ya'll need to quite cutting out stuff form our favorite classic muppet speicals or episodes.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
Yea but has anyone thought of them cutting some of the episodes? Like they did w/ MFC. I won't even buy if that happens. I'll have to call them and tell them to their faces "Ya'll need to quite cutting out stuff form our favorite classic muppet speicals or episodes.
I can't picture that happening. Odyssey cut the show, but CBC didn't, so I'm confident that the complete masters still exist. Unless of course Henson uses those cut versions for the DVD realease, for no better reason than to fit more episodes on a disc. Then again, that would be as silly as using the syndicated, constantly-rerun edited versions of all the Simpsons episodes for the DVD box sets... which, thankfully, they didn't. If you slap on the word "UNCUT" on a DVD box set (which they usually don't lie about when they do so), it will definitely sell. Keep in mind that Henson doesn't have the same reputation as Disney for releasing edited things. They have no reason to release edited Fraggle Rock on VHS/DVD - I mean, face it, they didn't do it in the past with the video releases.

Besides, the edits in MFC were made for a reason.