Any French speakers?

Zelda Rose

Reaction score
Hello all! :smile:

I know that we have Muppet fans from all over the world, so I'm hoping I can find the answer to my (silly) question.

I was just watching the television show "Dogs With Jobs" on the National Geographic channel. They were showing a young man that has had service dogs all of his life, but he now needs a seeing eye dog also. :cry:
The young man lives in Quebec so when he went to pick out and train with his new dog he spoke French to the dog. He was giving her the command to "GO", I don't remember what the word was, but I REALLY liked it and thought about using it as a name for the next Dachshund we get. If you know anything about Doxies, then you know how active they are, and I think that "GO" would be a GREAT name......only not in English.

THANKS for any help that anyone can give! :smile:

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
GO in French? It's "Allez!" ("Let's go!" - "Allons-y!")
in contrast
COME in French is "Retournez!" (i think - from the verb "to come" - retourner)
(Dunno about "come," French is slipping..."go" is indeed "allez" tho - command form)

>Adam

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
Oh yeah, and I agree...naming your dog "Go" (in english)?
Well, that's what my dog DOES all the time, so maybe it's fitting...hehe

>Adam

Zelda Rose

Reaction score
Allez! :smile:

THANK YOU!!!!!! :excited:

The "Allez" doesn't sound exactly like what he was saying.......it sounded like it was 2 words...........but then again I took 3 years of Spanish in school (MANY, MANY, MANY years ago.....) so what do I know? LOL! :zany:

I know this is going to sound silly, but different places that speak the same language sometimes have differnt words/dialect. Could it be a little different in Quebec? My best friend is from Louisana and her French is a little different from what I remember hearing in school.

And can you imagine naming your dog "GO" (in English)? I can hear it now, you're at a dog park and your dog starts acting up so you need to get him back to you:
"GO! GO!!! COME, come now Go!" ROTFLMAO!!!! That could only end badly!

THANK YOU!!!!!!! :excited:

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
Hmm.....it might be dialectal, and there are differences at times and little nuances here and there...but then again, could it have been a different translation? There are a lot of words (casual) that fulfill that objective. I've watched a similar sort of show, but it was regarding The Louvre in Paris and the human/canine nightwatch team there. Pretty kewl stuff....helps if you've actually been to France tho. I was lucky enough to go a few years ago for half-a-month, and it rocked. We tore up Paris and Arles! The dance festival rocked! Sorry, if I'm muffining this thread (LOL)....basically, there are about 1,000 words for everything - just like in English. "Allez" is the command "go," so I don't know...dictionary.com? (In French tho?)

Hope I could help,
Adam

Zelda Rose

Reaction score
:excited: ADAM, YOU ROCK! :excited:

You did help, and I think I'm going to also look on "babelfish.com" to see if they have "slang".

I too have had the pleasure to travel abroad, but didn't go to France. I was 16 and told that I had been chosed to participate in the "People To People" program (Started by Eisenhower). "Kids" are chosen by their teachers, and not told until after SEVERAL meetings of the schools faculity. There were 15 from my high school, 1 from our biggest rival, and 15 from a high school in Nashville, TN.
There were MONTHS and MONTHS of meetings which involved the chosen kids, their parents, and cultural leaders. After we were chosen, then the "de-briefing" in DC to tell us how to act............ :rolleyes: that was fun. What, we got here because we acted bad? NOT! Then we were gone for 6 weeks to 6 countires and got to stay with 3 families. Each year there was a different route that the groups take, some go thru France. One group that we met (and liked) in DC was doing our tour, only in reverse. We met up with them in Austria one afternoon and got a "free day" because we were all SO home sick by that point. I've got TONS of stories to tell and could talk about this ALL day.............but I've bored you enough........sorry :embarrassed:

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
No prob...glad I could be of service...
I used to speak French fluently, but sadly, it has waned in recent years (I can still go over and conduct business, prat around, and have fun - but my casual lingo has waved me bye-bye). Maintenant, Je connait un peu de Français - but enough...LOL! BTW, you're not boring me...don't bash yourself thinking you are. Talk to me any time. Yahoo! as 'adamharwood' and AIM as 'haaq4671' - Catch ya later!

"Ca çest Fraggle Rock!"

>Adam

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
Oh, and a warning: Babelfish.com isn't the best bet for accurate translation. It works for certain words and phrases, but as far as slang or colloquialisms go - stay away! Trust me, I've had enough trouble with that darn thing. I know a bunch of languages in some shape or form (English - duh!, Spanish (un poco), French, Japanese, and a smidge of Welsh). I'm also fluent in Swedish Chef! Bork bork!

>Adam

Whatever

Reaction score
I spent a year in Germany with the Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange Program. Congress and Bundestag (German parliment) send 300 American high school students to Germany and visa versa every year at no cost to the participants. I was in a group of 60 students, run by Council Exchanges and Experiment eV. We spent a weekend in Washington DC for pre-orientation, then spent a month in Tuebingen (in Baden-Wuettenburg) learning the language and the culture. We then split up and went to host families over the country. We had a mid-year meeting in Bonn and a year-end one in Berlin. We were a very close group. At least 10 of us ended up in the hospital over there, and nearly 20 changed host familes. I did both at the same time. But I also made friends, went to school, danced in the disco, joined the Scouts, learned German. I visited Paris, Poland, Switzerland, sailed in the Netherlands (Holland), and innumerable German cities. It was fabulous!

Whatever

Reaction score
BTW, in German go is "Geh!", but you don't want to call the dog that, 'cause its pronounced "gay". "Gehen Sie" means the same thing, in formal, but two words would also be awkward.