Any "Mulan" fans?

Johnboy

Reaction score
It's a great Disney animated movie full of suspense, humor, drama, action and adventure with Eddie Murphy as a lovable dragon, it's on DVD now in a special 2-Disc special edition.

pennyring

Reaction score
I love Mulan! I always cry when she takes her father's armor and goes off to war. She's so brave! The first time I saw a walk around Mulan character it was at Disney's California Adventure. The girl playing her looked IDENTICAL to the cartoon. Cartoon Mulan come to life. I wanted a picture with her sooooo bad but couldn't go up and say anything cuz I was afraid I'd start crying. I have a real emotional attatchment to her, and that really looked like her, and she's just so brave and... wahhhhh!!! I got all choked up and couldn't move. So a bunch of little kids swarmed around her and I didn't even take a picture from a distance. Ah well.

BeakerJanice

Reaction score
It's a great Disney animated movie full of suspense, humor, drama, action and adventure with Eddie Murphy as a lovable dragon, it's on DVD now in a special 2-Disc special edition.
OMFG I finally found my generation of people...I live for mulan!Hm...who is your fave character?

Cookie Chris

Reaction score
OMFG I finally found my generation of people...I live for mulan!Hm...who is your fave character?
My favorite character is the title character herself.

I love Mulan, and it was my third favorite animated Disney film behind The Lion King and Tarzan growing up. I once had the 1999 VHS edition of it, but I lost it when I left it behind at my elementary school when I brought the VHS for my classmates to watch. So, I plan on purchasing the 2004 DVD later on this year.

Mulan is one of the strongest Disney princesses there is even despite that she was never married into a royal family or is a descendant of royalty. Her story of not submitting to her cultural expectation of women starts out familiar to Belle and Jasmine's, but when she takes her father's conscription and battle armor to serve in his place during the war is when she becomes her own character. She is a very inspirational character, and the applause she gets at the end continues to give me goosebumps. Mushu was funny, though he gets annoying at times. Ling, Shien Po, and Yhao were funny and servable characters.

The songs, while not as strong and memorable as those in The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, were still good as they are with "Reflection" and "I'll Make a Man Out of You" being my favorites. The Chinese-inspired painterly animation style brought a breath of fresh air and simplicity from the grand-style animation seen in the Disney films like The Lion King and The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and the painterly animation style we see today with Tangled and Frozen. One of my favorite scenes is the battle with the Huns, which continued the marriage of incorporating computer-animated imagery with 2D characters, and brought a scene of epicness to the film.

BeakerJanice

Reaction score
My favorite character is the title character herself.

I love Mulan, and it was my third favorite animated Disney film behind The Lion King and Tarzan growing up. I once had the 1999 VHS edition of it, but I lost it when I left it behind at my elementary school when I brought the VHS for my classmates to watch. So, I plan on purchasing the 2004 DVD later on this year.

Mulan is one of the strongest Disney princesses there is even despite that she was never married into a royal family or is a descendant of royalty. Her story of not submitting to her cultural expectation of women starts out familiar to Belle and Jasmine's, but when she takes her father's conscription and battle armor to serve in his place during the war is when she becomes her own character. She is a very inspirational character, and the applause she gets at the end continues to give me goosebumps. Mushu was funny, though he gets annoying at times. Ling, Shien Po, and Yhao were funny and servable characters.

The songs, while not as strong and memorable as those in The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, were still good as they are with "Reflection" and "I'll Make a Man Out of You" being my favorites. The Chinese-inspired painterly animation style brought a breath of fresh air and simplicity from the grand-style animation seen in the Disney films like The Lion King and The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and the painterly animation style we see today with Tangled and Frozen. One of my favorite scenes is the battle with the Huns, which continued the marriage of incorporating computer-animated imagery with 2D characters, and brought a scene of epicness to the film.
I'll go for fave characters with Mulan,Shang,Cri-kee and the three soldiers!I mean..they are all adorable!For faves songs..I mean I like all.But ,,I'll make a man out of you"and the underrated classic ,,a girl worth fighting for"are my faves! Btw you write it like that ,,Chien-Po" and ,,Yao"

Cookie Chris

Reaction score
Btw you write it like that ,,Chien-Po" and ,,Yao"
I noticed I misspelt their names, so I corrected it in my edited review at the bottom since the time limit to editing my previous post expired so here's the complete version:

CookieChris said:
Mulan is one of the strongest Disney princesses there is even despite that she was never married into a royal family or is a descendant of royalty. Her story of not submitting to her cultural expectation of women starts out familiar to Belle and Jasmine's, but when she takes her father's conscription and battle armor to serve in his place during the war is when she becomes her own character. She is a very inspirational character, and the applause she gets at the end continues to give me goosebumps. Mushu was funny, though he could get annoying at times. Cri-Kee was a cute character. Ling, Chien-Po, and Yao were funny and servable characters. Shang was a well-executed contrast of Mulan holding the Chinese standards of honor and dignity and refrains from being too emotional.

That said, there's been talk about how Shan Yu is a forgettable villain, which I can agree with because his character, while posing a menacing demeanor and defeating an experienced army offscreen, is very underwritten. There's not a given backstory for the Huns, and Shan Yu is deprived of a certain motive or reason that explains why his army is invading China. Despite that, he carries a falcon as a sidekick which is a throwback to Maleficent and Jafar who carried winged assistants (By the way, what happened to that bird?) and doesn't die from a fall like the typical Disney villains do.

The songs, while not as strong and memorable as those in The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, were still good as they are with "Reflection" and "I'll Make a Man Out of You" being my favorites. The Chinese-inspired painterly animation style brought a breath of fresh air and simplicity separate from the grand-scale animation seen in the Disney films like The Lion King and The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and the painterly CGI animation style we see today with Tangled and Frozen. One of my favorite scenes is the battle with the Huns, which continued the marriage of incorporating computer-animated imagery with 2D characters, brought a sense of epicness and scale to the film.

Overall, it's a great, underrated animated Disney classic that I would enjoy watching over and over again for its characters, themes, songs, and animation.

BeakerJanice

Reaction score
Oh sorry I corrected you :smile: Just..I can't stand it when somebody writes him ,,Yau"or like that...