Any other X Files Fans?

travellingpat

Reaction score
I love the monster of the week episodes as well, I own the first season on DVD and Im hoping to buy a couple more on Amazon because at Best Buy theyre like 40 bucks and i dont like spending that much on DVD...

ive always found Eugene Tooms to be extremely creepy and i love the episode Ice guest starring future 24er Xander Berkeley and future Desperate Housewifer Felicity Huffman

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I love the monster of the week episodes as well, I own the first season on DVD and Im hoping to buy a couple more on Amazon because at Best Buy theyre like 40 bucks and i dont like spending that much on DVD...

ive always found Eugene Tooms to be extremely creepy and i love the episode Ice guest starring future 24er Xander Berkeley and future Desperate Housewifer Felicity Huffman
Yeah, I wish Fox would put out the stand-alone episodes in a separate box set. That's something I would definitely buy. They already have three or four sets to the whole conspiracy arc. It would be nice to have the monster of the week shows all together.

Actually, the X-Files season sets are relatively cheap nowadays, considering when they first came out, they retailed for about $100 (though about $75 on Amazon); plus, the case the discs came in was large and bulky. Now the same sets retail for $40 or lower in most stores, and come in space-saving slimline cases. The original sets didn't have individual cases; the box opened like a book, and all 8 discs were on separate trays.

"Tooms" and "Squeeze" are two of my favorites. Eugene Victor Tooms was one of the show's most memorable villains. Interestingly, Doug Hutchison (who played the sadistic guard in The Green Mile) is a vegetarian in real life, while his character of course ate human livers.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Incidentally I have the DVD collection of the short-lived horror show of the 1970's Kolchak: the NightStalker, which the X-Files creator Chris Carter cites as a major source of his own inspiration.
Yep, The Night Stalker was a great, but sadly short-lived series. Some of the episodes (like the one with the headless motorcyclist) were genuinely creepy, but stars Darren McGavin and Simon Oakland kept things light in their verbal sparring scenes together. One of the reasons why the show didn't survive was because many felt the episodes were too similar. A strange occurrance happens. Kolchack believes it's the work of the supernatural. His editor and no one else will believe him. Kolchack eventually solves the case and proves to have been right. I suppose critics were looking for more depth. But it is an excellent show, far superior to the short-lived remake from a couple years ago with Stuart Townshend as a much younger Kolchak. That version gave the character more of a backstory, but it didn't stay on the air too long.

If you haven't, check out the two made-for-TV features that were the inspiration for the series.

The Night Stalker (1971) introduces Kolchack, a maverick reporter investigating a string of unsolved murders in Las Vegas in which the bodies are drained of blood. Kolchack rightly assumes the killer is a vampire, but of course, no one believes him. At the time, this was the highest-rated TV movie ever.

The Night Strangler (1973) has Kolchack now working in Seattle (he was fired from his Vegas beat at the end of the first film), where he becomes involved in another series of murders, in which the perpetrator this time is a mysterious doctor who has discovered immortality, but he must kill to acheive it. He resurfaces every ten years or so for fresh victims. I'm sure this film inspired Chris Carter's Eugene Tooms in The X-Files.

Both films are included on the same DVD.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Actually I do have those as well Winslow.
I bought the two movies along with the television series through my specialty shop with Amazon for a special combo price deal. Pretty good for all 22 classic Carl Kolchak film stories it was. But this could be a topic for another thread in itself.

travellingpat

Reaction score
Did any of you watch the Lone Gunmen....? Was it worth buying the DVD set....?

Doug Hutchinson is so great, he also recently gueststarred on lost and was awesome!

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Did any of you watch the Lone Gunmen....? Was it worth buying the DVD set....?

Doug Hutchinson is so great, he also recently gueststarred on lost and was awesome!
I haven't seen the L.G. For some reason it never grabbed my attention, although I loved the characters on The X-Files.

I agree, Doug Hutchison is a great actor! I didn't know he was on Lost...

travellingpat

Reaction score
Yeah he played one of the guys that brought Michael Emersons character to the island

Davina

Reaction score
yes.. hubby and i are both file fans.. we don't have all the dvd's yet.. (muppets, serenity, bab5, and a few others have taken priority...) but we quite enjoy the show.. and yes.. we adored Lone Gunmen and have that dvd set as well, we felt it was well worth the $

travellingpat

Reaction score
Was the show good? because i was thinking of getting it off amazon...worth the money?